The Walking Dead "Too Far Gone"

• 58 results
Posted by k4tzm4n (36126 posts) - - Show Bio

*Yes, this review is spoiler-free*

We've spent the last two episodes seeing the Governor's side of the story and, now that it's time for the mid-season finale, the mad man is being tossed back into the narrative with the prison crew. Days Gone Bye is undoubtedly my favorite episode from this show, but Too Far Gone has absolutely earned second place.

This episode's nothing short of explosive and completely makes up for the Governor's totally lackluster prison assault in the last season. It feels like there's more action in this single episode than we've seen in the entirety of some seasons. There's a superb amount of buildup and a vast majority of the episode is filled with frantic and gruesome chaos. I can't really talk about it without diving into details, but I will say there's some especially vicious moments and a few characters are given standout scenes when it all hits the fan. During one melee, it seemed like the footage was slightly sped up to help make the punches feel more impactful and the end result was a very intense brawl.

Great action is good and all, but what raises the bar here are the amazing performances from the key characters and the sheer emotion behind all of the bloody scenes. One minor bit with kids aside, the excellent acting really sold the powerful moments and generated a brilliant amount of tension. This episode had some truly gripping material and refused to letup. Even when we're about to be hit by something predictable, it's still executed in a fantastic manner.

Too Far Gone lives up to the "mid-season finale" title and is without question a game changer. The show definitely took off the kid gloves and struck us with more than a handful of standout instances. When the dust finally settles, enough has been shifted around to leave us counting down the seconds to see where things will go when the show returns in February.

I have some gripes with the action, but they're nothing major and to elaborate on them would spoil some scenes. That said, it was a tad disappointing the Carol subplot is somewhat rushed and then cast aside for a later date. Hopefully a certain character's reaction will be well worth the wait.

Too Far Gone is an epic and compelling mid-season finale. Not only is it loaded with stellar action and madness, but it's also sporting some praiseworthy performances and doesn't hold back at all. This episode absolutely earns all 5 stars and I can't wait to see where the show will go from here.

Staff
#1 Posted by longbowhunter (6629 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been fearing a decapitation since they first got to the prison.

#2 Posted by jayskee (1905 posts) - - Show Bio

Best episode so far

#3 Posted by MrT (5 posts) - - Show Bio

This was how last season should of ended.

#4 Posted by kilomac29 (321 posts) - - Show Bio

Man! this episode felt like a season finale, it was so good. Honestly, I was uncertain about the fate of one character until I watched the after show and saw them in the "in memoriam" segment.

And how much ass did Darryl kick in this episode? That scene when he took out the tank was epic.

Also, I'll freely admit that it got a little dusty in my house during the pivotal scene of the episode, even though I saw it coming a mile away.

Best episode of the season IMO!

#5 Posted by GeekBait (777 posts) - - Show Bio

One of my favorite episodes. Easily the best of this season so far. Was eagerly waiting for the battle to happen, especially after the disappointing "battle" we got in the finale of Season 3. So happy that The Governor died and that Michonne was the cause of it.

#6 Posted by CaptainHoopla (842 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent episode. Loved Rick telling Carl "Don't look back".

#7 Posted by The Stegman (22783 posts) - - Show Bio

The Walking Dead keeps doing this. You start to get comfy with the episodes, even a little bored, then BOOM, mid season finales draw you back in hard. Great episode. I just wish the Governor would have cut Rick's hand off with Michonne's sword. Otherwise, did justice to the comic.

#8 Posted by GeekBait (777 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: Agree with you about the hand, but I guess they could save that for the Hunters later this season.

#9 Edited by GhostWriter (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Pretty pissed off that they killed The Governor. He's one of, if not the most compelling characters to ever have been on the show. Should have left it at him getting stabbed in the chest, left him returning a possibility in future seasons.

#11 Posted by Blackdog2009 (1807 posts) - - Show Bio
#12 Posted by ULTRAstarkiller (5759 posts) - - Show Bio

This episode was great nevr though id see the Gov dead kinda sad lol

#13 Posted by The Stegman (22783 posts) - - Show Bio

@ghostwriter: no, he had to go

I agree, I like the Governor too, a lot more than the comic version...but he had to die, two seasons is enough. I would admit though, I would have liked to have more of the "good Governor" being developed, so when he snapped on Rick's group again, it would be all the more shocking.

#14 Posted by ccraft (5017 posts) - - Show Bio

They torn out my heart again!

#15 Posted by HexThis (880 posts) - - Show Bio

My absolute favorite moment was the little girls with the guns you knew it was going to happen at some point, I just wasn't expecting it right then.

#16 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally, the show's back on track.

#17 Posted by CerealKillz (55 posts) - - Show Bio

@the_stegman: @geekbait:

I don't think they'll do it at all, considering Kirkman himself says he hated that decision and regretted it because it just got annoying.

#18 Posted by CerealKillz (55 posts) - - Show Bio

For the people who read the comics, what's next? I know of the Hunters, but are we going to get them already?

#19 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio
@jayskee said:

Best episode so far

by far! I loved it! and hated it! I am freaking out! AMAZING!

Excellent episode. Loved Rick telling Carl "Don't look back".

yup

I just wish the Governor would have cut Rick's hand off with Michonne's sword. Otherwise, did justice to the comic.

Same, I really want to see some arms and eyes missing.....

Pretty pissed off that they killed The Governor. He's one of, if not the most compelling characters to ever have been on the show. Should have left it at him getting stabbed in the chest, left him returning a possibility in future seasons.

Completely agree, I will surely miss him, I miss him in the book, and now the show, ahh, I really didn't want him to die.

@hexthis said:

My absolute favorite moment was the little girls with the guns you knew it was going to happen at some point, I just wasn't expecting it right then.

YEAH! that was so awesome!

@rogueshadow tell me what you thought of it!!!!!

#20 Edited by CuddleBear (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

if rick could take shane in a fight i don't see why phillip gave him such trouble.

i think they will wait until the season finale to intro the hunters and then the season finale a year and a half from now will be intro to new alexandria

#21 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio

if rick could take shane in a fight i don't see why phillip gave him such trouble.

he didn't, Shane was kicking his teeth in until all those walkers showed up. And I liked that Governor was beating up Rick.

#22 Posted by CuddleBear (1064 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddlebear said:

he didn't, Shane was kicking his teeth in until all those walkers showed up. And I liked that Governor was beating up Rick.

he even had the jump on him!

#23 Edited by Al_capOWN (530 posts) - - Show Bio

So no what? Who's left to be a villain? I don't read the comic series, but what can we expect from the show?

#24 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

So no what? Who's left to be a villain? I don't read the comic series, but what can we expect from the show?

Organized militia of Cannibals

A walled in suburb community near DC.

#25 Posted by SavageDragon (2248 posts) - - Show Bio

Saw this and had to repost LOL

#26 Posted by manwithoutshame (589 posts) - - Show Bio

really good episode, not quite as intense as the comic though.

#27 Posted by Trevel8182 (751 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Edited by HolySerpent (12433 posts) - - Show Bio
#30 Posted by sparty-dbq (766 posts) - - Show Bio

@cuddlebear: Made sense to me. Rick's gotten soft since the end of season three (notice how he twice tried to defer to the Council during the one-on-one), while the Governor grew even more inhuman.

#31 Posted by Dud317 (285 posts) - - Show Bio

All big developments aside, who is dissecting the rabbits? I don't remember that in the comic if it was in there.

#32 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8846 posts) - - Show Bio

Here are my thoughts on the episode:

#33 Posted by fodigg (6130 posts) - - Show Bio

Starting to get into the same problem I had with the comic book when I stopped reading: character attrition. Just gonna lose interest as the characters I enjoy get killed off.

Some of the losses were alleviated by them introducing characters from the comics I liked around the same time—

—but we've officially past the point where I stopped reading so that's not gonna happen anymore.

I'm not saying they shouldn't kill off important characters mind you, that's kind of the idea of this genre, but it's going to be a problem. Lord help them if they ever dare kill off Daryl.

#34 Edited by reaperOnyx (1157 posts) - - Show Bio

The Governor was the far best portrayed character from the comics. This was the last thing to go by the comics for a while. Happy Tyreese didn't die like in the comics, but the Governor was my favorite character in the show.

#35 Posted by kingdomenic (159 posts) - - Show Bio

@mrt said:

This was how last season should of ended.

This is correct.

#36 Edited by viin (534 posts) - - Show Bio

Finally a good episode...and I see tons I people agree with me that this episode should of been the finale to season 3.

#37 Edited by BalooMamalu (36 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm glad that the Governor storyline is over, simply because the show gets so wrapped up in his story that the walkers lose any threat. There were great sequences in the two episodes leading up to his re-introduction where the main group deals (twice) with large-number walker attacks, and even look-around-the-corner, "DON'T GO IN THERE!" suspense. The Governor shows up and it's half an episode in an apartment with him moping around and eventually shaving.

P.s. There are an awful lot of spoilers to events in the comics that not everyone has had a chance to read.

#40 Edited by RogueShadow (9830 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Best episode far, even if it wasn't as good as the comics. I knew Hershel was a goner, that was some sad sh*t. Can't wait for the hunters, Abraham, Morgan and all the good stuff that follows. Damn, that's a lot of feels to process. Hershel was my favourite character as well. I can't really articulate everything I feel about the episode because there is just too darn much. But I will say that it's the best episode thus far.

Oh and Daryl... Daryl took down a tank.

#41 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman: Best episode far, even if it wasn't as good as the comics. I knew Hershel was a goner, that was some sad sh*t. Can't wait for the hunters, Abraham, Morgan and all the good stuff that follows. Damn, that's a lot of feels to process. Hershel was my favourite character as well. I can't really articulate everything I feel about the episode because there is just too darn much. But I will say that it's the best episode thus far.

Yeah im sad Hershel died, but at least the show didn't seem watered down. And they were just so many "heck yeah!" moments it was so cool. I don't know how I feel about the tank actually working, but Daryl taking it out was awesome, and the zombie shield was amazing. I liked that Governor got stabbed, but im not sure I wanted him dead, also I really wanted ricks arm cut off. I am glad beth didn't die as well

that's kinda awesome though.

#42 Posted by desmond006 (595 posts) - - Show Bio

Great episode. I'm always a little hesitant when a character dies off screen so I had to watch the Talking Dead Meoriam to make sure.

#43 Posted by HexThis (880 posts) - - Show Bio

Does anyone think the sociopath feeding the zombies and dissecting the little critters is maybe Bob Stookey, the drunkard medic? He creeps me out big time, he has a very bizarre demeanor.

#44 Posted by Fallschirmjager (14730 posts) - - Show Bio

Great episode, though I felt it could have happened as early as last season. Don't know why we had to have what basically felt like half a season of filler to get to this point -.-

#45 Edited by RogueShadow (9830 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

Yeah im sad Hershel died, but at least the show didn't seem watered down. And they were just so many "heck yeah!" moments it was so cool. I don't know how I feel about the tank actually working, but Daryl taking it out was awesome, and the zombie shield was amazing. I liked that Governor got stabbed, but im not sure I wanted him dead, also I really wanted ricks arm cut off. I am glad beth didn't die as well

Haha that pic is awesome. I sort of feel like Rick should have lost his hand, or Carl his eye. Now I just can't wait for the Hunters, that was probably the most chilling storyline [except for maybe those random roadside attackers] Most of all I'm looking forwards to Jesus, Negan & the entire Alexandria safe zone story as a whole. But I hope they drag the Hunters out a bit more, I thought it was a little rushed in the comics, it could have been stretched over more issues in my opinion.

#46 Edited by KingAres109 (1226 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes it was the best episode. Really didn't Hershel going.Better him than Tyreese going.And I'm surprised people like the Governor. Lol..He's really unlikable and deserved a much more gruesome and brutal death.A bullet to the head was a easy way out.Lily took something from that I only wanted for me.And another thing.....Why DID Lily kill The Governor?? It doesn't make sense..Plz answers...

#47 Edited by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

@rogueshadow said:

Haha that pic is awesome. I sort of feel like Rick should have lost his hand, or Carl his eye. Now I just can't wait for the Hunters, that was probably the most chilling storyline [except for maybe those random roadside attackers] Most of all I'm looking forwards to Jesus, Negan & the entire Alexandria safe zone story as a whole. But I hope they drag the Hunters out a bit more, I thought it was a little rushed in the comics, it could have been stretched over more issues in my opinion.

wait what? who are the hunters? arnt they the ones that eat dale? if so, then the random attacks are the ones that try to do carl and rick kills them? This just made me remember they rushed the whole Rick talking on the phone to laurie story. Aslo I want to see Negal and Jesus, but that could aslo mean Glenns death and I think he needs for time on the show. Also what happened to show Morgan I don't seem to remember? Was he just left at his apartment?

Yes it was the best episode. Really didn't Hershel going.Better him than Tyreese going.And I'm surprised people like the Governor. Lol..He's really unlikable and deserved a much more gruesome and brutal death.A bullet to the head was a easy way out.Lily took something from that I only wanted for me.And another thing.....Why DID Lily kill The Governor?? It doesn't make sense..Plz answers...

She realized he was a wacko

#48 Posted by GeekBait (777 posts) - - Show Bio

@cerealkillz: I don't think the Hunters will come in until around episode 14. "Something terrible happens" in episode 15 according to David S. Goyer (who is directing that episode), so I assume that will be when we see the Hunters in all their people-eating glory. I'm almost 100% certain that episode 9 will be an almost direct adaptation of the 9th volume (with Rick & Carl in the house), and episodes 10-13 will probably be the introduction of Abraham, Rosita, & Eugene, and we'll probably see Rick return to recruit Morgan in one of these episodes.

#49 Posted by RogueShadow (9830 posts) - - Show Bio

@rogueshadow said:

@allstarsuperman said:

@rogueshadow said:

wait what? who are the hunters? arnt they the ones that eat dale? if so, then the random attacks are the ones that try to do carl and rick kills them? This just made me remember they rushed the whole Rick talking on the phone to laurie story. Aslo I want to see Negal and Jesus, but that could aslo mean Glenns death and I think he needs for time on the show. Also what happened to show Morgan I don't seem to remember? Was he just left at his apartment?

Yeah he was left in his little fortified town n clear, I heard he will be coming back this season. I'd like to see Negan in about season 7, at either the finale or mid-season finale. I don't think the Rick thing was rushed, it did last about 12 episodes, but it was placed earlier. I bet episode 9 opens with Michonne's sword stabbing into Hershel's walker head.

#50 Posted by AllStarSuperman (19546 posts) - - Show Bio

@allstarsuperman said:

Yeah he was left in his little fortified town n clear, I heard he will be coming back this season. I'd like to see Negan in about season 7, at either the finale or mid-season finale. I don't think the Rick thing was rushed, it did last about 12 episodes, but it was placed earlier. I bet episode 9 opens with Michonne's sword stabbing into Hershel's walker head.

I am not sure how I feel, the best points in the comics was vs governor and vs Negal so I don't want to wait too long, I don't know. I bet what you said about Hershel's head is true, you were right about him dying.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.