The Walking Dead "Dead Weight"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

Last week's episode, "Live Bait," finally reintroduced us to the Governor and revealed what he's gone through since shooting his own people in Season 3. While the last episode showed us the Governor's attempting to walk a new path, this episode reveals whether or not he can keep on it. Or, will he go back to his old crazy ways?

Just like with last week, David Morrissey's acting is what really sells this one. The dude does a superb job with the twisted character and makes ever scene he's in really engrossing. The character's path is handled well (even if some things are blatantly spelled out for us), but there's some nice scenes which help us reflect on all he's been through, where he's really at and what kind of man he truly is.

It's tough to really elaborate here since we keep review's spoiler-free, so all I'll say is I really dug the obstacles they put in his way and how his responses developed along the way. It's a bit of a shame it all had to be crammed into one episode, but it got the job done when it comes to character development. Everything that goes down with "Brian" serves as absolutely massive setup. Let's just say fans of the comic are sure to get excited and hopefully this will be the war we've been waiting to see (Season 3's finale totally doesn't count).

Unfortunately, the episode drags a bit when other (and, let's be honest here, pretty uninteresting) characters get the spotlight, but those scenes are relatively brief. Also, does anyone else feel like the zombies in the cabin were ninjas before they died? It's amazing how they resisted strolling towards all the noise until the last second, but it's a minor gripe. Lastly, that final zombie wins the "worst zombie ever" award. Seriously, way to go, walker.

"Dead Weight" may not be quite as solid as the last episode, but it does a mighty fine job moving forward with the Governor and hits us with some ginormous build-up. I'm really excited to see next week's episode, but hopefully this upcoming conflict doesn't completely shove aside or rush a proper reaction from the prison crew about Carol.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#1  Edited By longbowhunter

What a bastard.

pauatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Thought it was better than last week and left a cool cliffhanger.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice episode.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

My second favorite episode this season, behind "Internment". I love seeing just how low the Governor can go, and Morrissey is damn good.

Hopefully next week's episode can be just as good as this week's. They've got a lot to balance with the Governor conflict, the sickness, and the Carol news.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

these last two episodes have been better than the rest of the season

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ha, Ninja Zombies! Somebody needs to make that happen.

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Actually enjoyed this episode more than last week. Just didn't buy the Governor as redeemed. I was actually surprised when the Governor killed Martinez, I didn't see that one coming.

Kirk Acevedo was in this episode, I really enjoyed him in Oz. I'm hoping he has a big role in the show but that doesn't seem likely based on the show's track record.

Super pumped for the second half of the season; (bring on Abraham) big things are coming.

Great review Greg. You're right, that last Walker was BS.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9  Edited By longbowhunter

@kilomac29: I'm a fan of Acevedo's work on Fringe. Super excited to see him in this episode.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Here are my thoughts on the episode:

Loading Video...

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

these last two episodes have been better than the rest of the season

this

Sovereign91001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Not as good as last weeks episode, but still a damn good episode.

Commander_Kane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Commander_Kane

This show is like crack. And by that I mean the first high (season 1) was the greatest high ever. So I watch again and again each following week, and sadly, I do not get the same effect. Seems like its finally hitting some kind've stride now, but I don't know if I'll ever get that 1st season-type buzz again.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

This episode kinda reminded me of a twisted version of Rick's early group, with the RV and everything. And with the brothers, one who's cool and one who's an A hole (Darryl and Merl)

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

#15  Edited By SlamAdams

2 disappointing, clumsy, and contrived episodes that add up to nothing. Who cares about The Governor's flirtation with "normality" if he is going to give up on it so quickly. And for a weird reason, "Huh? Quicksand zombies. I guess I'll be evil again." These 2 episodes were dead weight (EDIT - did not dawn on me the title of this episode, I usually don't pay attention to the episode titles of any show) in an otherwise good season (finally). These are basically just melodramatic backstory to why the Governor has a tank, a backstory that doesn't need to be told. The visual alone of a tank approaching the prison and the Governor emerging would have been more compelling than the total of the last 2 episodes.

Avatar image for turoksonofstone
    turoksonofstone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 24

#16  Edited By turoksonofstone

Another Freaking Brilliant episode. Kirkman is just killing it. Haters can Hate all they like.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Things were just starting to get good at the prison 2 weeks ago then they introduce these 2 episodes.

They must be out of ideas or something.

Seriously, both of these 2 episodes feel like nothing but filler, over-introducing characters that will probably die and spending more time than is necessary on the Governor, who's really not that complex in the first place.

I maybe wouldn't care so much, if they were going with their own story long, but frankly they're just doing a long drawn out version of the comic one, lol.

Boring.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

@kilomac29: Loved seeing him in this episode (though I know him more from Fringe) and Hell yeah can't wait for Abraham. And I was yelling at that final zombie the entire time he was failing to actually bite.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm curious as to what other people were watching for the past 5 episodes before the Governor centric episodes because the first 5 episodes of the Walking Dead this season were on par with the whole of season 2...NOTHING HAPPENED!...it was 5 episodes of watching sick people lay around and do nothing and watching Carol get kicked off the show for acting out of character

SlamAdams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 59

@danhimself: I wouldn't say nothing happened. I mean, there's plenty of slow scenes, but the acting and writing within those scenes is by and far better than anything they have done since Season 1, rather than the repetitive and boring Season 2 or the Over-the-top and hammy season 3. The zombie attacks and supply runs have been more exciting. The fence issue and plague issue have given them content more focused and thrilling than run-fight-hide-repeat. All the subtle moments and conversations about coping with the new status quo are actually compelling rather than expository. There is no worse acting right now on television than "maniacally sad" Rick, except for Kate Cassidy on Arrow, so I'm happy he is far more measured.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the governor in the show more than the comic, another great episode!

Knightfall225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Loved this episode

Blizaga101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

my major habit now with the tv series is comparing too many things to the comics, so far this series has made a lot of references and it just leads my speculation on a frenzy.

one thing im curious about is lily, i dont know if its confirmed weather shes meant to be inspired by the one in the comics, but im dying to see if she fulfils the role set for her in the comics - poeple who read that issue know what she does - and im too hyped for abraham to come in, hes a favourite character from the comics.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By AllStarSuperman

Things were just starting to get good at the prison 2 weeks ago then they introduce these 2 episodes.

They must be out of ideas or something.

Seriously, both of these 2 episodes feel like nothing but filler, over-introducing characters that will probably die and spending more time than is necessary on the Governor, who's really not that complex in the first place.

I maybe wouldn't care so much, if they were going with their own story long, but frankly they're just doing a long drawn out version of the comic one, lol.

Boring.

you didnt think the prison sickness was kinda getting boring? i did. I have enjoyed these 2 episodes immensly. I also liked the tank, i thought season 3 was just being TV cheap with out it.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman: yes it was boring, but it had just gotten turned around with the zombies breaking down the walls.

and then they cut to this.

there's no point in doing so.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By AllStarSuperman

@fallschirmjager: I forgot about the wall breaking, I am excited to see the reactions for Carol though, but still I like the show's direction with the governor. I hope he dead is better then in the comic.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@allstarsuperman said:

@fallschirmjager: I forgot about the wall breaking, I am excited to see the reactions for Carol though, but still I like the show's direction with the governor. I hope he dead is better then in the comic.

they didn't do anything with him, though

they spend 1 episode where he looks to be changin

and the the next episode he's right back where he was, ready to attack the prison

the only thing they did was drag things out and add filler, because he did the exact same thing in the comic, only he didn't go through the redemption

whats the point of showing his "almost-redemption" if he is only going to go back to what he was? lol

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

whats the point of showing his "almost-redemption" if he is only going to go back to what he was? lol

To show some special moral of a story? I dont know, I just like him, and other then Carl and Hershal the prison was getting boring for me.

Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@allstarsuperman said:

To show some special moral of a story? I dont know, I just like him, and other then Carl and Hershal the prison was getting boring for me.

The moral is power corrupts.

But we all ready knew that because its exactly what happened last time. There was no need to repeat themselves.

Hence why the last 2 episodes were nothing but filler trash, telling us stuff we all ready knew.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

boring boring boring

That's all I hear from you guys, this show isn't about Slicing Zombies, it's about survival, and it's been fantastic.

Way better than Arrow(which I happen to enjoy as well)

id say equal to Arrow.....

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@allstarsuperman said:

The moral is power corrupts.

But we all ready knew that because its exactly what happened last time. There was no need to repeat themselves.

the 2 highest points in Comic WD is vs Governor and vs Negal, i remember before even knowing about show governor i surely missed the governor in the comic, at the time you want him dead, but you miss him later. maybe thats jsut me.

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@theacidskull: have you been enjoying the last to governor episodes?

AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

I didn't like this much as last weeks. There were lot of stupid and illogical writing in this episode.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

DON'T DO IT LILLY!

ohrenclez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I think what they were trying to do in these last two episodes was to make the Governor more relatable

In the comics he was a character to be hated from the first time he showed up

What they are trying to do here i think, is to make him even more frightening, not by his actions, but by the good person that he could be, and what he is capable of nevertheless

In my opinion the similarities of this group and the early survivors is not by accident, but to show what could have happened to Rick, and what he could still be able to do

all in all i think these were two good episodes, but for me, he could have stayed sane for a little longer before taking back his old role, or they could have started a little earlier in the season to show what happened to him....to pack all that in two episodes seemed a bit rushed

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By ThomasElliot

@fallschirmjager said:

@allstarsuperman said:

they didn't do anything with him, though

they spend 1 episode where he looks to be changin

and the the next episode he's right back where he was, ready to attack the prison

the only thing they did was drag things out and add filler, because he did the exact same thing in the comic, only he didn't go through the redemption

That's how I feel. I really enjoyed this season up until now, because it was such a departure from the books that I could finally just 'ride it out' and enjoy it. Then they come full circle and you realize... oh, they were going to do this major event from the books ANYWAY, they just inserted a half-season of filler to drag it out.

Of course, I wouldn't have any of those annoyances if I never read the books. Having read the comics and watching the show is a curse. I either want it to follow the books more closely, or not at all. Not this half-half stuff they've been doing.

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

This episode was better for me than the previous one.It was more intense and fast going while last episode was too slow and boring at times for me.This episode was making me wonder at first is the Governor really changed and in the second part just how crazy the guy is.

This is probably my second favorite episode after the 5th one which was just the best for me and completely mind blew me.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.