k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

*Contains some spoilers*

The Walking Deadis back! Season 4's premiere picks up well after the events of the last finale with the Governor. Instead of enduring a rather boring meet and greet with all of the new characters who have moved into the prison, time fast-forwards and we only meet a handful of the new individuals who have decent to good connections with the pre-existing people we've come to know by now.

This episode does indeed plant the seeds for an all-new threat (which is currently subject to a whole lot of speculation), but it's primarily focused on how key characters have transformed while also trying to familiarize us with a few of the fresh faces. Truth be told, it's a bit of a jarring experience as we're abruptly hit with new relationships and people, so it's incredibly tough -- if not impossible -- to build an emotional attachment to them just yet. This is particularly noticeable twice as a couple of the people were clearly introduced just to benefit the greater picture instead of being fleshed out at all. One of them is solely there to illustrate how much another character has changed over time and to of course include some extra gore. The other seemingly exists just to help cement our interest in a new mystery. It's understandable the first episode has to get a lot of details out of the way since there's a massive amount of new characters, but as of right now, there really isn't a powerful hook with any of them.

Gore most certainly wasn't in short supply. There's a plethora of vicious kills as walkers who crowd the perimeter fence are poked in the face over and over and over and over. I love me some zombie kills, but it felt like the scene went on a tad too long. Thankfully, there's a huge action piece later on and it's packed with some moments that are truly cringeworthy (intestines as a safety line!). It's super frustrating when zombies are apparently useless around key characters ("I don't want to try and bite Glenn's legs, I simply want his braiiiiiins!"), but still, there was some superb makeup on display and some absolutely gruesome content thrown our way, too.

Naturally, Rick and his son take a good amount of the spotlight and rightfully so. The former leader's story this time around takes him on a relatively familiar path, but it still works thanks to Andrew Lincoln's engrossing performance. Even if the twist is pretty predictable, he's still able to reel me into the scene with his commendable acting and is always a reliable source for some heavy feels.

"30 Days Without an Accident" does a solid job showing the toll this story has taken on Carl as well. You'd think he could find happiness in meeting people who are roughly around his age, but instead, all it does is convey how much he's been forced to mature. While his father still needs to make him see the harsh reality at times ("sorry, son, those adorable piggies are for eating!"), Carl almost comes across as a father figure to the other kids, attempting to show them the brutal truth about the undead. Meanwhile, there's a serviceable limelight on Daryl, Carol and Tyreese as well. It's interesting to see Daryl opening up more and Carol becoming such a spirited character. Tyreese, on the other hand, is presenting the polar opposite of how this atrocious scenario could impact a person.

Season 4's premiere does an able job following-up on the big characters and paints an alright picture of how the situation has evolved since Season 3. The attention to new characters is definitely lacking, but Andrew Lincoln's strong acting, an interesting new hazard, and some impressive makeup compensates for that. If half-stars were an option, this episode would receive a 3.5. But since that's not possible, "30 Days Without an Accident" warrants a bump to 4-stars.

What did you think about the new episode, Viners? Give the comments section below a polite piece of your mind!

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Kid Flash wasn't fast enough

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 the_stegman  Moderator

I feel like the whole show was pretty meh until the ending...which happens a lot with TWD.

jlglidden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I liked it. Then again I don't mind a slow burn.

Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

Here is my review for the episode:

Loading Video...

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By CaptainHoopla

I love the show and am excited it's back. Funny, my husband is just ahead! My one complaint, I don't like Rick or anybody else trying to treat Carl like he's still a kid. He's a kid that's been through the wringer and become an adult on an accelerated schedule and knows what it takes to survive.

As always, I can't wait for the next episode. What killed the pig and the new dude? Whose feeding the walkers at the fence?

JamesKM716

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Honestly, I thought it was underwhelming. I'll still keep watching. But if the whole season is like this, then that's it for me.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7  Edited By BigL

Anybody else catch the reference to the Tell-Tale episodic game? That made the whole episode for me, didn't care for most of it.

lifeboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

I don't watch this show but @k4tzm4n usually echo's my sentiment and therefore I will let him be my mouthpiece.

viin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By viin

After last seasons finale I was very disappointed. Disappointed to the point where I really wasn't that excited that it was coming back on. Don't get me wrong I like it, its something to watch, I read the comic, but I don't think it will ever out due season 2.

IndieComicsFTW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Honestly, I thought it was underwhelming. I'll still keep watching. But if the whole season is like this, then that's it for me.

My thoughts. Very slow and the whole crazy chick scenes was so pointless.

ARMIV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ooooooh, gosh...it came back...Mondays are ruined for me.

Avatar image for phoenixsouvenir
    The_Absolute

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I, personally, loved this episode. I'm a fan of nuance and subtext which this season opener was full of. My only concern is with the addition of so many throwaway characters, there isn't going to be much in the form of character interaction and development for 16 episodes.

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I thought it was fun, still a few small details that irked me; mainly the entire store zombie fight. The lack of immediate urgency to get that shelf off of D'angelo Barksdale was maddening. And that poor kid totally fell victim to one of those super strength zombies that got Dale. That was a crawling single hand leg grab to neck tear in like 4 seconds.

DeathandGrim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought it was fun, still a few small details that irked me; mainly the entire store zombie fight. The lack of immediate urgency to get that shelf off of D'angelo Barksdale was maddening. And that poor kid totally fell victim to one of those super strength zombies that got Dale. That was a crawling single hand leg grab to neck tear in like 4 seconds.

I called him D'Angelo too! As soon as I saw it I was like, "Welp D'Angelo's in and D'Angelo's out." Thank God they got him, too good an actor to waste in one episode.

The whole supermarket scene was nerve-wracking in general but the silly bitch scene was highly predictable.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Nice show.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@bigl said:

Anybody else catch the reference to the Tell-Tale episodic game? That made the whole episode for me, didn't care for most of it.

What did they reference? I missed it...

Avatar image for deranged_midget
    Deranged Midget

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 4

#19  Edited By Deranged Midget

I enjoyed this episode. Gave a nice feel of what could be like for Rick and the survivors and it was kind of refreshing to see them having a break once in a while. Of course, this episode didn't really give any clarification of where the season may go but I liked the ending. Seems like there may be another way for people to become infected.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Kid Flash wasn't fast enough

seriously the highlight of the episode for me LOL

otherwise it was bland

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

I'm a big Veronica Mars fan, so I was excited to see Kyle Gallner on this episode. Then super bummed when he got eaten. I really dug the episode. The whole helicopter/zombie rain scene was a little CG heavy. But I could over look it.

BigL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dabee: At the end of the episode, Michonne is looking at a map and points to Macon. Macon is where Lee is from.

Frobin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Frobin

Such a weak start for season 4 after an already weak season 3 final! I watched it, but never got really excited ... just a meh episode. I'm asking myself how long the show runners and writers will go on like this. If they do much longer, I lose interest on the show.

SPOILERS ahead:

Most of all the supermarket scene with all the walkers on the roof. It's so just for cheap show effect. Of course the roof comes down in the same moment they are in there. They require half an eternity to lift a shelf and leave the place ... come on ... and of course somebody has to jam his foot to create suspense. And then - WOW, unexpected (not really) - not the shelf guy dies, but the young guy. What a surprise. It's so like Star Trek ... the new (or one of the new) guys always dies. It's not less predictable, if one of the new guys is in danger and then another one dies.

By the way, the title of the episode and the group going on the supermarket trip with some first seen guys ... it's like a spoiler. The only question was which one of the two newbies, but since the younger one admired Daryl and was in romance with Maggie's sister (forgot her name) ... it was pretty clear.

And even the cliffhanger was predictable and far from these amazing cliffhangers the first season became popular for.

I'm still very sure that they have to finish the prison story arc (please not endless episodes about the troubles of living in the prison and then the attack of the governor as midterm or season final!!! Please not!!!) to make the show interesting again.

LCazT1996

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

I loved this season premiere. :) I think that everything they've set up in this episode is good. I really enjoy Rick having his sanity again and that he's finally got a good relationship with Carl again. And Michonne, Daryl, and Carol's role in the group are all great. And I like that Hershel has a leg (or a false one at least).

I loved the banter between Daryl and the new cast members oh he's definitely a homicide detective. **facepalm* I thought it was clever.

The only issue I had was that the "Please, please please...please help me." bit wasn't as important to the overall season as they made it sound like it was going to be with the trailers.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#25  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

This was great episode 1. Hope the season doesn't suck

Avatar image for emperormeister734
    Emperormeister734

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 10

Glad it's finally Back on.

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved the episode, and unlike some who didn't like "The Swamp Witch Story Line" (Wife that feeds her undead husband) I thought it was really important. At the very beginning of the episode everyone is acting like things have gotten better because they finally organized as a mini-town but the situation is way worse than it seems and showing this tragic character emphasizes that. It could be considered as a warning for Rick. (Don't let your guard down so much) I also loved the whole Beth "Taylor Swift" thing lol! Loved the episode

DjBest02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Oh and I forgot to add a very important thing that made me so happy: #NoMoreAndrea

Super_Phil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Tbh I am just so pleased the show is back that I would pretty much enjoy it whatever. Although the show does seem to be getting more and more ridiculous with each season.... like the scene in this episode where the walkers were falling through the roof.

time1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 104

It was a good episode, a good solid start, I just hope Season 4 is good. Nice review.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I enjoyed this episode. Gave a nice feel of what could be like for Rick and the survivors and it was kind of refreshing to see them having a break once in a while. Of course, this episode didn't really give any clarification of where the season may go but I liked the ending. Seems like there may be another way for people to become infected.

I actually didn't get the ending. How did the kid get infected? Did he die from his condition and turn into a walker? Overall the episode was meh for me. 3 stars at maximum.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Black_Arrow

@deranged_midget said:

I actually didn't get the ending. How did the kid get infected? Did he die from his condition and turn into a walker? Overall the episode was meh for me. 3 stars at maximum.

The pig probably die because a disease, It had. Animals can pass viruses to humans. Rick already explained that if you die you become a walker so he probably died because the disease.

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

@yourneighborhoodcomicgeek said:

@deranged_midget said:

The pig probably die because a disease, It had. Animals can pass viruses to humans. Rick already explained that if you die you become a walker so he probably died because the disease.

That's probably the most likely scenario.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.