gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

A new series can be a tricky thing. With a new world and new characters, readers need to get pulled in right away. That's something Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy easily did in the first issue.

With the promise of scientific intrigue, we were introduced to a variety of characters, each with a different set of skills. As we caught a glimpse of what will become the center point of the story, we're still seeing some of the layers unfold around the main character, Lee Archer.

Snyder also tells the story from different time periods. Seeing events from several million years ago as well as some time in the future, we're finding out more from different angles rather than a simple straight forward approach. This absolutely creates a unique feel to the story as we get to put the pieces together ourselves.

The more of Murphy's art I see, the more I appreciate what a brilliant artist and storyteller he is. His visuals are breathtaking. One testament to a great artist is their ability to depict things other than just people. The way he draws water and underwater scenes as well as the different aquatic life is amazing. Matt Hollingsworth's colors are a thing of beauty as well. Murphy's details and facial expressions along with Hollingsworth's colors go perfectly with Snyder's script.

The Bad

I am completely sold on this series. They have me...hook, line and sinker.

The Verdict

Buying and becoming invested in a new series or miniseries can always be tricky. With Scott Snyder and Sean Murphy (and Matt Hollingsworth), it becomes a lot easier. This is the type of series that shows we can have and enjoy something new rather tan just rely on new stories with existing characters. We've been introduced to several new characters as well as a mystery that will hook you into the series. This is the type of comic you'll want to sit back and enjoy as you devour each issue. We truly are getting something different and it's a blast reading each issue to find out what's going to happen or be revealed next.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By EvilPenguin543

Another fantastic installment in a fantastic series by the fantastic tem of Scott Snyder, Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

Top-notch work done here by this stellar creative team. This story is starting to get creepy, and I like that.

Avatar image for captain_superior_blue
    Captain_Superior_Blue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have a question for people that are currently reading this mini series. Do you think this series will be best read in tpb form or is it worth picking up in the single issues?

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man, Hollingsworth is having a stellar week with Hawkeye and The Wake.

Avatar image for redhoodflashlantern
    RedhoodFlashLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_superior_blue: I would pick up single issues of the series if you can.The suspense of what comes next is great.

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
    RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just can't understand why this series s getting such great reviews. Issue one was full of so many cliches, it hurt to read. I was rolling my eyes at every panel. The concept is awesome, and so is the art, and I'm a huge fan of Snyder's other work, but the writing here has been so bad that I questioned if he was writing parody. Second issue was much less of a cliche-offender, with the positive outweighing the negatives. I will keep reading. I just don't understand 2 glowing reviews when the first issue felt like it was written with a pre-set template of some kind.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

@radioactivegazz: I can see where your coming from in terms of the main part of the story. It's the Abyss meets the Thing so far. But the flashes of scenes from the distant past and near future add an unexpected depth to the story. Still this book is nowhere near as cliche filled as 90% of the capes books sitting on the shelves.

RedLantern23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By RedLantern23

I enjoyed it a lot. Not Snyder's best work but it still has me hooked.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

What's everyone's interpretation of the final page?

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 30

#10  Edited By batmannflash

i am really enjoying this mini-series

batmannflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

#11  Edited By batmannflash

@the_mast: i'll be honest and i say that I don't really know. I'm really curious.

Let's see...it shows the moon exploding in the future...and that chick is watching while holding onto a narwhal in the ocean. Do we know anything about the future yet (other than that there appears to be a huge flood)? The moon seems really close to Earth, or that could be just how the artist drew it. It's definitely some kind of post-apocalyptic future related to that sea creature. Maybe the sea creatures want to flood the entire Earth so their species can thrive? But then that has nothing to do with the moon.

Does anyone have any guesses?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#12  Edited By longbowhunter

@batmannflash: The oceans tides are regulated by the moon's gravitational force. I'm assuming by blowing it up she's hoping the sea levels return to normal or as normal as you can get in a post apocalyptic future.

_Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Enjoyed 1

Will wait 4 days again for forbidden planet to deliver 2. Not even posted yet but have charged

skyjumpermike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

@the_mast: i'll be honest and i say that I don't really know. I'm really curious.

Let's see...it shows the moon exploding in the future...and that chick is watching while holding onto a narwhal in the ocean. Do we know anything about the future yet (other than that there appears to be a huge flood)? The moon seems really close to Earth, or that could be just how the artist drew it. It's definitely some kind of post-apocalyptic future related to that sea creature. Maybe the sea creatures want to flood the entire Earth so their species can thrive? But then that has nothing to do with the moon.

Does anyone have any guesses?

@batmannflash: The oceans tides are regulated by the moon's gravitational force. I'm assuming by blowing it up she's hoping the sea levels return to normal or as normal as you can get in a post apocalyptic future.

Great insight. Also, It seems like on the first few pages the sea people baited a shark by leaving a Mammoth in the water. Maybe they are baiting humans in order to get some technology they need?

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

I have a question for people that are currently reading this mini series. Do you think this series will be best read in tpb form or is it worth picking up in the single issues?

Definitely worth picking up single issues.

This is very much a back-and-forth mystery, where we are given glimpses of events past and future and must constantly wonder how they are connected to the main "present" events. I think a great deal of the fun is in not having answers immediately at your disposal, and having the time to speculate.

It's one of few books that I expect to also buy the trade of, but am still reading along with now.

mcbean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

For me it's hit or miss it is not Snyder's best work I like his American Vampire more

Daredevilnut

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm totally hooked on this book! I'm a big Scott Snyder fan

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19  Edited By SavageDragon

Another fantastic installment in a fantastic series by the fantastic tem of Scott Snyder, Sean Murphy and Matt Hollingsworth.

So true.

jorelliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By jorelliot

So glad I picked this up :)

stetson12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captain_superior_blue: I think it is worth picking up in single issues. Murphy and Snyder are really good about giving each issue its own weight and worth. They make sure that each issue reveals information that pushes the story forward so you never feel like you just read a filler issue.

Avatar image for radioactivegazz
    RadioactiveGazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: I'm talking more about the abysmal dialogue than any elements of the concept itself. Literally every line of the first issue was an absolute cliche. I think the comparisons to The Thing and The Abyss are kinda favorable ones, even if it does detract from the originality of the series. Other than a monologuing Owl Man in Batman, I've never felt Snyder's dialogue to fall victim to cliche, so to have him then go and write something like this is puzzling. All it needed was for one character to be described as a "Maverick" or a "Loose Canon" and I would have just put the book down and not continued.

ptigrusmagus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My two favorite types of sci fi are body horror and deep sea survival, I love this book.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.