Review: Uncanny X-Men #529

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
While Danger is preoccupied with Madison Jefferies, Emma Frost plots to put Sebastian Shaw out of the picture permanently.

The Good

Fraction's dialog positively drives this forward. From the new mutant's "primal narrative" to Fantomex's subtle "hypnosis" on Madison Jefferies to Emma Frost's characteristically-prissy ennui, the exchanges in this are almost like helpings of a juicy steak you just can't resist chewing on. Actually, it was his characterization of Fantomex that won me over. I've loved the character since he was introduced during Morrison's run and was, thus, pleasantly surprised to see that another writer can handle the archfiend just as well.

The Bad

When I was set to review this, I didn't realize that Uncanny was a separate book from Legacy. While "adjective-less" X-Men has a identity whose distinctions are easy to see, I seriously wonder if this title might benefit from some re-purposing to further set it apart from Legacy. It shares so many characters with other titles (even including New Mutants) that I wouldn't be sure how to describe it aside from it just being another X-Men title.

The Verdict - 4/5

This is something of an "in-between issue" - - something to get us from point A to point C and set up a lot of threads in the process - - but it's an exceptionally well-done in-between issue. I should comment, as well, that I've enjoyed how Portacio's art is evolved. Perhaps a lot of it has to do with the inker and colorist, but I've never seen his art look this crisp.
#1 Posted by diefzilla (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait 

#2 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8869 posts) - - Show Bio

Kitty is on the cover and that makes me excited and seeing that you gave it a pretty good grade makes me more excited

#3 Posted by thegentlemanrogue (722 posts) - - Show Bio

I think there is plenty of distinction along the X-Men line: Uncanny X-Men is the X-Men core title, 
Adjective-less is a X-Men team-up book, and Legacy is pretty much a Rogue book but the creative team is smart enough to realize that calling it Rogue would kill the sales...

#4 Posted by comicbikerscott (152 posts) - - Show Bio

dude u right
#5 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio

Wolverines face looks like a monkey, Thats where they came from no wonder
#6 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man said:
" Wolverines face looks like a monkey, Thats where they came from no wonder "
That's Sebastian Shaw.
#7 Posted by The Psyentist (16362 posts) - - Show Bio

Emma Frost AND Fantomex in one issue! I MUST GET THIS!!!!!! :D <3

#8 Posted by GT-Man (4054 posts) - - Show Bio
@Jake Fury:
I stand corrected LOL
#9 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

The latest was a big improvement but the art is awful on this book.

#10 Posted by Rheged (620 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't say I would rate this issue anywhere near as high.  I found the story disjointed and certainly didn't appreciate the dialog as much.  And the last page was ... memorable, but not in a good way.

#11 Posted by king_broady01 (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for it

#12 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

Love the art too!

#13 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio

The Madison-Danger relationship is sort of creepy. Maybe if she didn't have to look like a fricking robot I might find it a little better. 

The rest of the story wasn't much better- the five lights have been sort of a let down and there should have been more to them. I've kind of felt like they have been rushed.  

The only part of the story I really liked was the interaction between Dr. Rao and Cecilia Reyes regarding the X-kids and others getting sick all of a sudden. I guess I'm a plot guy.
#14 Posted by Jake Fury (18116 posts) - - Show Bio
@GT-Man:
LOL He does look funny.
#15 Posted by unicornpuncher (418 posts) - - Show Bio

I cant stand Portacio's art.  Everyone has the same face and the style is way too sketchy.  Anyone else missing Greg Land right about now?!

Maybe the reviewer likes the art, but I dont think Portacio and "crisp" should be used in the same sentence ever.  He draws Emma like a man faced tranny and other characters look equally as awkward.

#16 Posted by skaarason (683 posts) - - Show Bio

thanks for the review , i just getting back into the xmen stuff again 

#17 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio

This was a really solid issue.  The Sebastian Shaw subplot has been great. 

#18 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm picking up Uncanny from next month, I hope it's good!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.