strongprotector's The Uncanny X-Men #537 - Breaking Point, Part 3 review

Now You See Her...

Kruun's plans for revenge begin to come to light and he has made sure that most of the X-Men are powerless to stop him. Can Kitty Pryde find a way to warn the others in time or will Kruun’s suicide mission be the end of the X-Men and Utopia?

The Good

It looks like we might finally start to get some resolution to the entire Kitty Pryde intangibility issue and thank goodness because I can’t take it anymore. Along with this, Kruun’s plans are finally fully revealed to us and the action begins to amp as we being moving to a climax and resolution in this story arc that sees the Breakworlders visiting Utopia.

The Bad

I had some problems with a lot of the things that took place in the pages of this comic. The most notable had to be with Wolverine. There is a systematic telling of how Kruun planned for every mutant who could interfere with him…except he conveniently forgot about Wolverine. If there is one mutant on Utopia who you should try to plan for, I think it would be Wolverine.

Not to mention, there is this huge build-up for a fight between Kruun and Wolverine in the next issue, but honestly if that fight lasts more than two or three pages I’ll be disappointed. It’s Wolverine versus a one-armed humanoid alien that he’s already kicked the snot out of before, and that was when the alien had the home turf advantage and both his arms. This issue seemed more like an attempt at just showing how formidable Kruun still is, but in reality he shouldn’t be and it doesn’t make a whole lot of sense except as page filler.

If you’ve been reading this Uncanny storyline, then you’re going to want to see where it ends up, but I’m tempted to tell you to pass on this comic due to blatant page filler moments and the unnecessary build up of a character that just doesn’t need all this attention. Not to mention I still can’t stand the intangible Kitty Pryde thing, even if it does look to be coming to a head soon.

Also, if you’re looking to get into Uncanny X-Men, this is definitely not the issue to do so and I would wait until this arc at least finishes up before adding this to my weekly pull box.

Posted by Sobe Cin

Out of everything the book had to offer, I really did enjoy the amount of Kitty time. And I truly enjoyed her "diologue". And the ending really stood out.
Posted by JonesDeini

Hmmm so I take it you didn't like it lol. I love the way that Gillen's Written Kruun, but maybe he might've dropped the ball on this issue. I'm not gonna lie. I didn't like how easily he got the drop on Magneto last issue. I get he's the gladiator king of a race of war hounds, but still. PIS much?

Posted by Edgeworth_11

Kinda agree. But he did get the drop on Magneto and company when they least expected it. Head on, they would finish him in a panel.

ANyway, I see the improvements in the writing and as an Xmen fan I am thrilled in the direction we are going.