The The Trench wiki last edited by AmishAvenger on 08/08/14 07:24AM View full history

Origin

The Trench were once regular Atlanteans before Atlantis sank by the hand of King Atlan. When the kingdom sank it was split into seven parts. Four of the parts were lost forever and the other three remained. Over 90% of the Atlantean population drowned in the sinking while the other 10% survived, adapting to live in the water. One part of the population would remain in the underwater nation of Atlantis, the other part would become Xebel and the final part would be the home of the Trench, who had taken on their present appearance to live underwater.

Creation

The Trench were created by Aquaman writer Geoff Johns as a ocean-dwelling race of evil creatures to take on Aquaman in The New 52.

Major Story Arcs

The Trench

For further information: Aquaman

In the first arc of Aquaman, the Trench rise from far beneath the ocean floor in search of one thing, food. With their first attack, they demonstrate a complete lack of empathy, relying on only the primal instinct to feed, even eating their own slain brethren. All the creatures seem to be similar with the exception of one alpha member of the race. When that alpha member marks it's food, they others back off. After massacring a boat and local fishing community, the police call in Aquaman and Mera to help investigate. The police divers eventually find what looks to be a cocoon in the water, which contains many creatures of the Trench. While fighting off the creatures' attacks, the alpha marks Aquaman as food to be brought back to the ocean floor, where they originated.

Aquaman fiercely battles the alpha as Mera holds off the rest. The apha calls for a retreat with their captured food as they dive back into the deep. Aquaman takes one of their fallen to be further examined. Mera and Arthur dive into the Trench to save the townspeople. They discover a crashed Atlantean ship that had been attacked by the creatures. They also find the spawn of the Trench creatures to be sick and dying. Arthur and Mera then discover the throne room/breeding chamber where the Queen and her alpha King are. The Trench creatures were just trying to gather enough food for their Queen's children. Aquaman rips off the roof of the cave containing the cocooned townspeople and heads to the surface. The Trench, their King and Queen follow them as Arthur triggers a volcanic reaction with his trident. The Trench begins to collapse as Arthur seals it with another large rock.

Death of a King

For more information see: Death of a King

Aquaman uses the Trident of Neptune to command the Trench and help him fight the Xebel and the The Dead King. Aquaman looses control of the Trench when the Trident of Neptune is destroyed. It is also revealed that the Trench are a mutated form of humans who survived Atlan's destruction of his city decades ago, by mutating into monsters.

Powers & Abilities

  • The Trench have razor sharp teeth capable of puncturing Aquaman's skin and also able to cause mild paralysis in humans.
  • They have a primitive means of communication and mark their food with their saliva.
  • The Trench can be injured by intense heat, such as a flare gun.
  • Their physiology allows their bodies to endure the water pressure at the ocean floor as well as on land.
  • Their metabolism requires them to consume twenty to thirty times their own weight in food to survive.
  • The Trench can create a cocoon to transport their food from the surface back to the trench.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.