Review: The Thanos Imperative #3

Posted by Zack Freeman (314 posts) - - Show Bio
Thanos and the Guardians of the Galaxy learn that the Cancerverse has been created by the assassination of death's avatar, a revelation that shapes Lord Mar-Vell's unholy quest in the main reality. 

The Good   

This issue's doing some serious conceptual reconfiguration for these cosmic characters. The explanation of the new universe's divergence, the specifics of Thanos' death avatar crusade, Drax's hostility toward him, Nova's plea to the Kree empire for a task force... all of it gives me a real charge. This feels like a genuine space opera, not just capes in the galaxy. I'll also say that Sepulveda and Ramos may have finally hit their stride with the ink-less-but-colored art in this issue. Maybe the pencils got tighter, maybe the colors were sharper, but I wasn't actually aware about there being a difference this time until I went back over the issue. 

The Bad   

Considering that this story's only six issues long, I'm starting to feel that there are too many characters to cover. Sure, it's an epic, but between all of the alternate reality versions of characters scattered throughout, I got seriously confused by the part where Nova reports to the Kree empire. I wasn't sure, at first, if these were supposed to be the 616 proper versions or the Cancerverse versions. Also, now that my suspicions regarding the naming of the Cancerverse, I have to question if the pun's really in good taste. 

The Verdict - 4.5/5  

Book for book, this has been one of the best weeks for comics in recent memory. It's doubly enjoyable for the fact that these books haven't really been treading the same ground. This book, in particular, is a testament to Marvel's success at retooling and revamping their cosmology into a space opera that can go toe-to-toe with any other brand of galactic adventure.    
#1 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for next issue.

#2 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (519 posts) - - Show Bio

There was epic-ness all over this one! I loved it! 

Particularly the scene following Nova's team selection, was very Armageddon, but awesome! 

Cannot wait for #4

#3 Posted by Bossjugg (146 posts) - - Show Bio

ya agree 100% about the art. They are getting way better

#4 Posted by daak1212 (7901 posts) - - Show Bio

I dont find fault (HA Pun) with the cancerverse name.  Cancer is when your cells multiple at an exotential rate with out decay in the cells.  I think its a fitting title for the universe seeing as death is no more and repopulation is pretty much what the universe is filled with.
#5 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

This series is completely crazy.

#6 Posted by Kurrent (14061 posts) - - Show Bio

I am digging this series

#7 Posted by Daydream (2802 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks pretty sick...gotta remember to get this.
#8 Posted by Retro_Metro (368 posts) - - Show Bio

Cancer-verse looks nasty. Be thankful we have Earth here right now.

#9 Posted by stu (378 posts) - - Show Bio

cant wait to read more of it!!!

#10 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking forward to reading this issue very soon.

#11 Edited by DozerCSX (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Unbelievably great series! Epic, bigger and better written than anything on the market today - not even close.  Thanos is simply the greatest cosmic hero foil ever created.
Did anyone catch the cool veiled reference to JLA/Avengers? The pale creepy Scarlet Witch was taken directly out of that JLA/Avengers book, where she was overcome by the "wild" chaos magic in that universe - what an unbelievably slick crossover reference - since here we learn that the Cthulu entities live between all dimensions, it would appear they also infest the DC universe - sweet!

#12 Posted by DanP (47 posts) - - Show Bio

Got to my shop late last week and it was sold out :( . Hope I have better luck this Wednesday! I needs me some epic space/alt universe battle/intrigue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.