zack_freeman's The Thanos Imperative #5 review

• zack_freeman wrote this review on .
  • zack_freeman has written a total of 351 reviews. The last one was for

Review: The Thanos Imperative #5

So much is going on! In the main thread, Thanos breaches the wall to confront the Canceverse's Mar-Vell counterpart... but no one can predict his true intentions for doing so.

The Good

My issues with production have been largely resolved. While I still prefer inks over color penciled, Sepulveda and Ramos have refined their technique and tightened their lines enough that I really didn't notice anything lacking. Story wise,I've been really enjoying the twists and turns Abnett and Lanning have been weaving through Marvel's greater cosmology. There's a twist at the end of this that re-defines Thanos and evil Mar-Vell's relationship in a way compelling enough to give this series an even more mythic quality.

The Bad

My issues with this issues are the same ones they've had throughout the entire series. I really feel like that there are more characters than this single title can handle. You have a lot of characters who appear just to dress the background instead of contribute anything to the plot. In particular, I think the inclusion of the evil Avengers (as opposed to evil Guardians) makes things messier than they need to be.

The Verdict - 4/5

I'll admit it: I'm a sucker for superhero space opera. And this is ten-strong dose of the stuff. I suppose I shouldn't fault the book for being crowded - - it's meant to be a mega-crossover contained in succinct mini-series. Marvel's space heroes have rarely ever had this kind overarching direction and that's exciting. I just it would be a touch neater.
Posted by Dark Noldor

I disagree with you on the bad remarks: all Marvel´s cosmic arc stories were filled with a lot of characters, some as main and plenty as background, just to add strengh to the plot. So it´s not a down, it´s a commom thing that works