krakoa's The Star Wars #1 review

• krakoa wrote this review on .
  • krakoa has written a total of 209 reviews. The last one was for
  • This review received 1 comments

A New Take On Familiar Characters

When I first heard about "The Star Wars" I was very skeptical. It seemed like another way to milk the Star Wars franchise with another product. When the concept was explained to me, I still wasn't convinced. After all, I didn't want a rough draft of something that I already enjoyed. I expected that the original concept hadn't made it to the screen because it wouldn't be particularly good. Yet, truthfully, this comic was pleasantly surprising. The writing is solid, and the art is absolutely stellar.

What we have here is the original draft of George Lucas's Star Wars saga which means, the likes of Luke Skywalker, Princess Leia, and Darth Vader are all here, but in drastically different guises. For many of these characters, the only recognizable trait is the name, so this goes well beyond a sort of SW version of Elseworlds. I found it to be very compelling reading, and I think that some of the nuance and imagery just could not be compelling realized cinematically circa 1977. That said, you'd think with my praise of this comic I'd have given it 5 stars. While it is a very fun sci-fi story, I think much of this issue is spent establishing characters and backstory. Its twists generated by familiar names adorning unfamiliar faces and that somehow a fictional universe well known is a bit different. Had this been a standalone story independent of the SW universe, I'd still want to read the next issue, but I'd have wanted a bit more.

Bottom line, if you're curious or a Star Wars fan of any magnitude, you'll want to purchase this without hesitation.

Posted by turoksonofstone

Great Review.

Who better than Dark Horse to adapt this?