Follow

The Spirit

Character » The Spirit appears in 1438 issues.

Will Eisner's legendary newspaper comic creation was Denny Colt, a police detective that took on the identity of the masked vigilante, The Spirit, upon seemingly being resurrected after his death.

Did Frank Miller Kill The Spirit "All Kinds Of Dead"?

• 53 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Spirit Takes A Beating At The Box Office

I like the Spirit.  A lot.  Since DC acquired the rights and started reprinting the original comic strips, I've been hooked.  I talked about it before here, including my fears about the movie.   I was really looking forward to the movie until I saw the Spirit panel at Comic-Con.  I understood that some changes would be necessary.  I was willing to give Frank the benefit of the doubt since he said that Will Eisner would've given this film his blessings (Will was Frank's mentor).

As I started seeing more images and trailers, I really started getting nervous.  I was hoping my local theatre would have a midnight showing on Christmas Eve so I could watch it and get over my fears.  I didn't make it to the theatre on Christmas day since I was spending time with family and honestly, because of my fears about the movie, I didn't want to ruin my Christmas.  I had determined I'd see it Friday.  I felt I should give the movie a review.  At the last minute, I just couldn't bring myself to go.

Box Office Mojo has reported the weekend box office results.  Things don't look good for the Spirit.  The Spirit made 6.5 million dollars over the weekend.  It's total gross is 10.3 million.  In the movie's defense, there was five movies that opened on Christmas Day.  That being said, The Spirit was number 9.  Ouch.  Keanu Reeve's "The Day The Earth Stood Still" made more even though it's in its third week of being released.  The number one movie grossed 37 million over the weekend. 

In the movie, the Spirit says, "I'm gonna kill you all kinds of dead" to Samuel Jackson's character, Octopus.  It looks like the same can be said for the Spirit as a moive franchise.  That makes me sad.  If I'm going to see this movie in the theatre, I'd better do so before it disappears.
    Nighthunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 4

#1  Edited By Nighthunter

note that the movies above Spirit starred people like Brad Pitt, Tom Cruise, Adam Sandler, Jim Carey, Will Smith, etc.

On top of that who wants to see that kind of movie on Christmas, you ask me, the day that they decided it came on Christmas it sealed the fate of the movie

Kurrent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2  Edited By Kurrent

The movie was horrendous

Thespirit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 5

#3  Edited By Thespirit

i was reaaaaaally looking forward to it myself, i was even excited when i heard frank miller was doing it. I was pumped ever since i saw the trailer. I never expected it to be doing this bad. I'll have to be the judge.

Mr Mofo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Mr Mofo

I'm a big Eisner fan.  I tried adding a lot of content to the Spirit pages here.  I, too was skeptical when this came out.  I felt embarrassed that I made my girlfriend see this with me Christmas night.  Other than that, I don't want to talk about this.

Sigh...

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Hawk

I saw the previews and almost laughed......Could someone tell Samuel L....."don't make anymore movies"
    Love Scarlett so much.......and love her look for the movie....to bad I won't be seeing her.

shatterstar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By shatterstar  Moderator

Industry people are saying Valkyrie bombed with $20+ million. If thats a bomb what does that make Spirit? It barely beat Doubt which was showing on half as many screens.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By gmanfromheck

Valkyrie had a budget of between 75-90 million (that's it?).  I'm not sure what the budget on The Spirit was.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By danhimself

i wasn't really looking forward to the spirit at all....i don't think that i'm going to go see it....i might rent it....might

Graft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Graft
    Wow, Frank wants to write about a "Slut" in his words. Surprise

Frank Miller
    said:
    "The character has a terrifying side to him. This is a man who’s died and came back to life. So it twists into fantasy. And of course there are tons of women in it. There have to be — it’s The Spirit. They’re all in love with him, and he’s in love with all of them. You might say he’s a bit of a slut"
    Handprint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Handprint

I didn't see the movie yet but I don't remember the Spirit ever being a big deal to begin with,

Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Hawk

It's not like The Spirit is a well known comic......I don't expect The Watchman to do anything either.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Graft said:
    "Wow, Frank wants to write about a "Slut" in his words. Surprise

Frank Miller
    said:
    "The character has a terrifying side to him. This is a man who’s died and came back to life. So it twists into fantasy. And of course there are tons of women in it. There have to be — it’s The Spirit. They’re all in love with him, and he’s in love with all of them. You might say he’s a bit of a slut"
    "
    That's another thing.  A dude working at my local comic shop pointed out how Frank tried getting the Spirit's history officially changed on a Spirit-wiki site.  He did not die.  You can read his origin as it happened in the original strip here.  I read the same story those images were taken from.

People who read comics know who Will Eisner is.  Heck the comic award is named after him.  People also liked Sin City and 300 which is what was used in the trailers to try to entice people to see the movie.  I saw a lot of early reviews and they weren't too favorable.  I'm sure that went against the movie as well.
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Hawk
    G-Man said:
    "Graft said:
    "Wow, Frank wants to write about a "Slut" in his words. Surprise

Frank Miller
    said:
    "

People who read comics know who Will Eisner is. 
    I think this is one of the problem....the people who read comics know who he is.....where as Spidey, Hulk, X-men, are internationally known on all levels.
    Ms. Invisible

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#14  Edited By Ms. Invisible

Check out some of these reviews here.

I just want to know what Frank Miller has done in the comics industry that's SO great right now. He was big in the 80s, but he's not doing anything amazing now, so why was he hired to write this movie? 

I think the reason why this movie's not doing so well is because this movie is like giving Superman the dark-and-tortured treatment and giving Batman the flowers-and-puppies treatment.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Hawk

WOW those reviews are killing him!

The Hobgoblin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17  Edited By The Hobgoblin

Don't waste your money on such a disappointing movie, G-Man! I still kick myself for going to see it. I wish I could go back in time and stop myself from seeing it, because no amount of therapy will help me recover from such a traumatic event. If I HAD TO pick one positive thing about this movie, I'd have to go with Eva Mendes. And yes, I'm only saying that because she's a delightful bit of eye candy.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By gmanfromheck

I feel a little guilty for not seeing (and reviewing) it.  I also put some time in the character pages here in preparation for the movie.  I just feel I'll really be let down if I see it.  I'm sure it'll be on Blu-ray soon.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By King_Saturn
    I actually just came from seeing the movie The Spirit... and it really wasnt that good... even my man Samuel L. Jackson looked bad in that film... the only good thing in that film was the Sweet Shot of Eva Mendes backside in the film... otherwise that movie really wasnt that good... I was hoping for much more than what I got overall...
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Hawk
    King Saturn said:
    "I actually just came from seeing the movie The Spirit... and it really wasnt that good... even my man Samuel L. Jackson looked bad in that film... the only good thing in that film was the Sweet Shot of Eva Mendes backside in the film... otherwise that movie really wasnt that good... I was hoping for much more than what I got overall...
    "
    ok let's see a scan of Eva!
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hawk said:
    "King Saturn said:
    "I actually just came from seeing the movie The Spirit... and it really wasnt that good... even my man Samuel L. Jackson looked bad in that film... the only good thing in that film was the Sweet Shot of Eva Mendes backside in the film... otherwise that movie really wasnt that good... I was hoping for much more than what I got overall...
    "
    ok let's see a scan of Eva!"
    LMFAO  !
    NiteFly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By NiteFly

I never read The Spirit, so I wasn't really into it to begin with it.  A friend asked if I wanted to go, so I went.  I was disappointed in the whole ordeal.  As the movie progressed a number of people walked out.  I think this movie only demonstrates exactly how much Snyder and Rodriguez had to do with the making of his other movies.  I am hoping that Sin City 2 doesn't turn out like this.

mrenb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By mrenb

Dare I say it?  This was predicted by many to fail, not that I wanted it to be the case.  Despite my disliking for the character and the strip (with exception to how Eisner portrayed his women)--sorry, my opinion---I didn't want this to bomb.  I don't want someone to fail when they are producing what obviously is a labor of love.  I'm not that much of a jerk.

The trailer, like I've previously written, revealed all that had to be seen.  Over the top acting,  painful dialogue, a character not many people know, and a "re-hash" of Sin City and 300's FX. 

If I were you, I'd save my money and not worry about providing a review.  You are probably too nice to refrain from seeing this movie, but I'd save my pennies for the Wolverine movie. 

My 2 cents. 

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gmanfromheck

Guess that answers my question of whether or not this would've been a decent movie if it wasn't called "The Spirit."  That's how I felt about X3.  If it wasn't called X-Men, I wouldn't have not liked it as much.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By NightFang3

that sucks.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By King_Saturn
    I was really hoping for better with the film... it was a total waste of the $ 8.00 I spent to see the film... and what makes it even worst was they didnt even have any new trailers during the previews...

starts to cry
    Avatar image for abnormally_warm_guy
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Even if the movie had done well, which I wish it had because I liked it (maybe for the sentimental reasons G-man noted above) I don't think another would be made. It seemed to wrap itself up pretty well. Sue there's room for a sequel with that ending but it just doesn't seem necessary or it would be like more of the same and with another Sin City movie in the works I really doubt Miller would even want to do another one.

Avatar image for the_reservoir_dog
    The Reservoir Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the movie was pretty good. i'm suprised it didn't do better in the box office.

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By King_Saturn
    The Reservoir Dog said:
    "I thought the movie was pretty good. i'm suprised it didn't do better in the box office."
    Really ?
    Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Hawk
    King Saturn said:
    "I was really hoping for better with the film... it was a total waste of the $ 8.00 I spent to see the film... and what makes it even worst was they didnt even have any new trailers during the previews...

starts to cry
    "
    That's the worst .....I love trailers.
    Avatar image for ree_fullface_cap_nine
    ree-fullface-cap_nine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

it would be ok it Samuel L jackson never did another movie and i would be happy if he waz not nick fury but he could pull it of we will have to see.

"I saw the previews and almost laughed......Could someone tell Samuel L....."don't make anymore movies"

Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ree-fullface-cap_nine said:
    "it would be ok it Samuel L jackson never did another movie and i would be happy if he waz not nick fury but he could pull it of we will have to see.

"I saw the previews and almost laughed......Could someone tell Samuel L....."don't make anymore movies""
    Samuel has to be Nick Fury. Ultimate Nick Fury was modelled off him.
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Reservoir Dog said:
    "I thought the movie was pretty good. i'm suprised it didn't do better in the box office."
    I'm not but not because I didn't like it. The Spirit is not a mainstream character. He's not that marketable.
    King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By King_Saturn
    Hawk said:
    "King Saturn said:
    "I was really hoping for better with the film... it was a total waste of the $ 8.00 I spent to see the film... and what makes it even worst was they didnt even have any new trailers during the previews...

starts to cry
    "
    That's the worst .....I love trailers."
    Yep... its was a terrible day at the Movies overall yesterday
    capsvibranium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By capsvibranium

there was a very complicated aspect to this movie.  take it at face value, and this thing sucked the big one.   even the story line was pretty altered from the comics.  at least when movies are horrible, their one redeeming quality can be staying true to the original plot.  this one didn't even do that.  it took some big liberties. 

but the complicated thing is that this IS the spirit comics.  if you've read them, you know how over-the-top, silly, and yet, entertaining they are.  in that respect, the movie REALLY went for it, and because of that, i give it credit.  the real failure wasn't the movie itself, just the lack of foresight to realize that the spirit is not compatible with the silver screen.  if this was going to succeed in front of a modern audience, they needed to go in a COMPLETELY different direction with it.  it's worth a rent, just to fulfill the curiosity, not an $8 ticket. 

The WeatherMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#36  Edited By The WeatherMan

Yeah... it pretty much sucked. But hey, it looked nice, if you liked the whole Sin City kind of look.... If not then the movie pretty much has no redeeming qualities.

Avatar image for twilightthunder
    TwilightThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 61

#38  Edited By TwilightThunder

Frank Miller was one of the best authors in the 80s and mid-90s, now he's just a Sin City-Esque parody of himself... That's such a shame :(

Qoheed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39  Edited By Qoheed

Being a comic fan and hearing all the negative press as well as seeing how uninteresting the trailers and previews were, I'm not even going to justify that movie with $10 out of my pocket.

ThE FL@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By ThE FL@

sigh... why does every writer think that any movie that has a dark theme always wins big with the fans... Eisner's "The Spirit" was more lighter and more on the side of superman on the early 40's, 50's and 60's... it's not like The Dark Knight... and frank miller is not good at writing light movies... "The Spirit" should have been like a detective and also a crime fighter... and also a ladies man in... not much of a serious character but bring some humor to the character... not like a carbon copy of Batman...  and also the movie would have worked if it was not done in a Sin City and 300 style...

Sigh... I would think that would be what Mr. Eisner would envision "The Spirit" movie... just returning to the basics... because you can't portray a character that is not well known as spiderman or superman in a draker theme...

Avatar image for contagiousthoughts
    contagiousthoughts

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

frank miller is losing his mind

King_Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By King_Saturn
    contagiousthoughts said:
    "frank miller is losing his mind
    "
    Who Knows ? Maybe he already Lost It
    Abnormally Warm Guy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

ThE FL@$H said:
    "sigh... why does every writer think that any movie that has a dark theme always wins big with the fans... Eisner's "The Spirit" was more lighter and more on the side of superman on the early 40's, 50's and 60's... it's not like The Dark Knight... and frank miller is not good at writing light movies... "The Spirit" should have been like a detective and also a crime fighter... and also a ladies man in... not much of a serious character but bring some humor to the character... not like a carbon copy of Batman...  and also the movie would have worked if it was not done in a Sin City and 300 style...

Sigh... I would think that would be what Mr. Eisner would envision "The Spirit" movie... just returning to the basics... because you can't portray a character that is not well known as spiderman or superman in a draker theme..."
    I'll agree with that. This movie would have been better if it was not done in Miller's style. I'll admit that didn't quite work for me.
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#44  Edited By No_Name_

Frank Miller is overhyped and overrated. 

I hated sin city, and its too bad he had to go and ruin a perfectly good thing with the spirit.
    Shadow-Knight.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Shadow-Knight.

I saw the movie that weeked and well...I Loved it, it was great, AND THIS IS FOR MUFFY!, I LOVED IT, Mr.Sam.L was a great villan he had the ranting down, the costumes down, he was perfect!. ya there was some parts that were childish but I think it made the movie more fun, I give it a 4 out of 5. why not a 5 out of 5 well there where some things that where over done, but other then that the movie was great.

Eberos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Eberos

I noticed a lot of naysaying about the movie, and I'm surprised to hear it from comic book fans. If you haven't seen it, then see it yourself and make your own judgment. I saw it the Friday it came out, and I really enjoyed it.

ThE FL@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ThE FL@

I saw it... and still... disappointed...

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By gmanfromheck

Oh man...

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#49  Edited By Green ankh

I liked it.  It was kind of cheesy and corny. Just like the Spirt himself ... it was a fun Saturday afternoon film. I didnt know if the Film style would fit, but i liked it too.

I got more enjoyment from it that the X-Men films for sure !!

ThE FL@

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By ThE FL@

hahaha... thnk u 4 putting d point g-man...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.