Follow

The Simpsons

Team » The Simpsons appears in 793 issues.

Springfield's own family. It's an animated TV series & "comic" by Matt Groening. This family consists of Marge, Maggie, Bart, Lisa, and Homer. But don't forget about Grandpa.

'The Simpsons' continuity compared to the hostory 'DC' Continuity

nedrydenis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By nedrydenis

So, this is probably the most pointless thread ever, but bear with me (or go and do something better). Anyway, I was thinking about how the continuity of 'The Simpsons' could be compared to the continuity of many long running comics (as, given the length of the series run it has had to develop somewhat of a "sliding timeframe" / retconned dates). This is mostly due to the placement of flashbacks in the series (for example, in second season episode "The Way We Was" is set in 1974, with Homer and MArge in high school... etc. etc). It's funny, but there's kind of a correlation to DC'S reboots... this is the basic ideawhat I came up with:

Season 1- Kind of like Earth Two, or Golden Age DC. Things aren't quite set in a stone, and there are a few changes as the series progresses ( Homer has a weird voice; Superman jumps rather than flies; Black Smithers/ blond Barney; Bat-man kills people etc.)

Seasons 2-8: Earth One, in which the continuity starts to settle. Flashbacks through these season seem to be consistent in terms of dates (that is, the series is approximately set in 1990/91, Bart is born in 1980 etc.). Most events from season one are still cannon (Homer being made safety inspector) whilst some aren't (Bart graduates the fourth grade).

Season 9 onwards: "Post Crisis", and things all go to Hell (at least continuity wise). The flashback time line starts to jump around (Bart starts school in 1990 in season 9, then Homer is without kids in the 90's in "That 90's Show", then back again etc.). Basically continuity, including in characters and their experiences, goes kaput. (That said, I admit that I haven't actively watched the show in about 8 years now... feel free to completely correct me/ add info.)

Is it possible that The Simpsons needs a New 52 style reboot to?!

Or maybe I just really, really need to get some more sleep... or both. :)

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By iLLituracy

When you have something that runs as long as the Simpsons and you're looking to keep the characters the same age then you need to keep everything on a sliding timeline. If Bart's birthday was still the absolute canon he'd be 30 now. 

Avatar image for deactivated-60d8e8271946e
    deactivated-60d8e8271946e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

The Simpsons doesn't need a reboot. It'd be too familiar for the worldwide audience.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.