The Saddest Simpsons Opening Ever

• 79 results
Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

I never thought I'd feel sad looking at a unicorn.
The Simpsons has been around for 21 years. That's a long time for any television show. If there's one thing you can count on though, it's the opening for the show. There have been a few changes here and there since it first aired, but the opener for the Simpsons always set the tone for the show: Bart's a trouble-maker, Homer is lazy, Lisa needs braces (DENTAL PLAN!), and then there's the countless supporting characters featured. 

Sadly (and not so sadly), this past Sunday, the opening for the show was a little different. And by a little different, I mean bleak. Banksy, a British artist, somehow got this opening storyboarded, drawn, and onto the actual show. It's some really funny stuff, if you don't mind laughing at misery. There are some small changes in the beginning, but towards the end of the long opening, you get a sad sneak peak into the production of the show.  Check out the video below for yourself?
== TEASER ==

What did you guys think? Is it bad that I kind of giggled when the guy whipped the panda? Is it less cruel if it's a cartoon panda?
Staff
#1 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio

If you don't get my Lisa joke above....

Staff
#2 Posted by Lance Uppercut (23245 posts) - - Show Bio

That was just depressing. 

#3 Edited by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio

Simpsons went down hill after season five after that it just became to liberal. After watching this it's just showing the reality of how American animation and products being outsource. It's not funny, just making people wary of the truth behind corporate America outsourcing labor for cost effectiveness. At least that is what I'm taking from this.

#4 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio

I now officially hate you for getting "DENTAL PLAN!  Lisa needs braces" stuck in my head

#5 Posted by eldestrisk (635 posts) - - Show Bio

That was pure artistic way of making joke of themselves.

#6 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
" Simpsons went down hill after season five after that it just became to liberal. After watching this and showing the reality of how American animation and products being outsource is not funny, just making people wary of the truth behind outsourcing labor. At least that is what I'm taking from this. "
It really does speak for itself. I don't think a lot of people realize that many animated shows and films are pushed through a sweatshop system.
Staff
#7 Posted by Crom-Cruach (8820 posts) - - Show Bio

#8 Posted by ReverseNegative (2729 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego: Argh! I keep thinking DENTAL PLAN Lisa needs braces.
#9 Edited by The Impersonator (5395 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't find this funny. It's depressing. What was Matt Groening thinking?
#10 Posted by Jotham (4564 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, that's pretty funny. I'm surprised they had the guts to actually use it. They probably told him he could do whatever he wanted, so he came up with the worst thing possible.

#11 Posted by inferiorego (23163 posts) - - Show Bio
@ReverseNegative:  I'm sorry, I put it up to mainly annoy danhimself.
Staff
#12 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Impersonator said:
" I don't find this funny. What was Matt Groening thinking? "
That he's no longer involved with the show at all, because he's working on Futurama. Groening hasn't had much to do with the Simpsons outside of the movie for the past decade or so.
#13 Posted by danhimself (22493 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego said:
" @I'maDC/ImageGuy! said:
" Simpsons went down hill after season five after that it just became to liberal. After watching this and showing the reality of how American animation and products being outsource is not funny, just making people wary of the truth behind outsourcing labor. At least that is what I'm taking from this. "
It really does speak for itself. I don't think a lot of people realize that many animated shows and films are pushed through a sweatshop system. "
you should see the conditions under which Dora the Explorer is produced....it would make the unicorn happy that he's where he is
#14 Posted by longbowhunter (7047 posts) - - Show Bio

I just watched that episode this morning. Loved the opening.

#15 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

... that wasn't funny or unfunny....
#16 Posted by olcanucklehead (37 posts) - - Show Bio

hilarious
#17 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2241 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't get it, I tuned in late at the part where they were showing the T-Shirts, and i didn't understand what they were trying to show.  At first i thought it might have been an anti slave labor message or something.  So bleak and sad, I was expecting them to show the Simpsons sitting on the couch at the end and have them looking incredibly sad or speechless.

#18 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham:
They were showing what happens to make these shows.
#19 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought it was real funny initally but as it dragged on I was like wow I can't believe where this is going. I don't know what I feel about it now.
#20 Edited by BetonneTom (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it is great that the creators understand that an artist such as banksy fits in great with the nature of the show. and of course he sort of makes fun of the audience and the monster the franchise has become. Very brave of them to show  it and also pretty funny. 

Btw: Banksy is one of the most famous artists in the world right now and certainly the most important street artist of the last couple of decades.  

if you like to know more head over to Screened.com for the review of his film Exit through the gift shop. 

#21 Posted by The Jeff (290 posts) - - Show Bio

that was great!

#22 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

that was so bad espcially with the unicorn

#23 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy!:
You really think the problem is that it became too liberal? Not that it ran out of ideas and stopped being funny?
#24 Posted by I'maDC/ImageGuy! (1648 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoseDRiveraTCR7 said:
" @I'maDC/ImageGuy!: You really think the problem is that it became too liberal? Not that it ran out of ideas and stopped being funny? "
Liberal biasness substituted for that. That is what I was meant to say.
#25 Posted by kapitein_zeppos (341 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what the animators in Korea thought of that one ...

#26 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I was speechless when I saw this last night.

#27 Posted by Jolt92 (174 posts) - - Show Bio

Tooooooo long. I just felt bad towards the end.

Ballsy, I kind of respect that FOX actually aired it. Don't think the animators thought it was that funny.

#28 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio

That was really depressing lol

#29 Posted by Metatron_Da_Don (1037 posts) - - Show Bio

any other place to watch?
utube took it down

#30 Posted by ComicMan24 (147085 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see it.

#31 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

shitty, cant see it., would have loved to. Well i pvr new simpsons so when i get back from visiting the girlfriends parents (its thanksgiving here, was busy eating turkey!) ill have to watch it when i get home.

#32 Posted by crusader8463 (214 posts) - - Show Bio
#33 Posted by alphamale73 (69 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to compete with 'Family Guy'

#34 Posted by TheAntiVillain (74 posts) - - Show Bio
http://www.hulu.com/watch/184819/the-simpsons-banksy-opening?c=35:103

#35 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't see the first vid

#36 Posted by ecm1285 (92 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think Matt was really trying to be funny, but that he had a real massage behind it.  It might be his way of saying what Fox has become....or it could just be because Matts crazy!

#37 Posted by The Velvet Rabbit (262 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Simpsons, and Matt Groening is a dear, but one has to remember that people like Matt Groening are a big part of what Fox has become.  Besides, this isn't by any means the first shot The Simpsons have taken at Fox's true nature - just the first one that was that direct.   that said, Banksy did a wonderful job, and I congratulate Matt for doing it - but it was pretty long-winded, even for black humor :(

#38 Edited by The Velvet Rabbit (262 posts) - - Show Bio

also, I think the oddest bit of irony in this whole thing is that this opening then had to be finished by the good folks at Rough Draft Korea :P

#39 Posted by JoseDRiveraTCR7 (1008 posts) - - Show Bio
@I'maDC/ImageGuy!:
I don't know of a single episode that has a liberal bias.
#40 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@alphamale73 said:
"Trying to compete with 'Family Guy' "

Huh...? Family Guy's Stolen From the Simpson's Dozens of Times. How Could they be Doing Better??
#41 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought the opening was hilarious.  I also think Banksy is awesome.  End transmission.

Staff
#42 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

SO... that was supposed to be funny? =/

#43 Posted by Darkmount1 (1276 posts) - - Show Bio
@inferiorego:
Dude, where's the rest of the bit?????
#44 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

controversy sparks views for them,
good for them i guess, 21 years is a long life for a show, 
it should be put down by now eh

#45 Posted by Hunter114 (829 posts) - - Show Bio

For those who don't get it...
sat·ire   (str) n.

a. A literary work in which human vice or folly is attacked through irony, derision, or wit.
b. The branch of literature constituting such works. See Synonyms at caricature.
2. Irony, sarcasm, or caustic wit used to attack or expose folly, vice, or stupidity.

You are supposed to laugh, you are supposed to cry, you are supposed to get offended.
#46 Posted by UpUpAndAway (192 posts) - - Show Bio

this isnt the actual opening you know? its just one of those one time gags for the opening. i thought it was kind of funny
#47 Posted by The Psyentist (16847 posts) - - Show Bio

Ha. I thought it was pretty funny.

#48 Posted by Joe_E_Nigma (43 posts) - - Show Bio

Banksy isn't just a "British artist" he's considered one of the best and intelligent graffiti artists in the world. His social commentary is seen everywhere, everyone's probably seen his art and not known it was him. 

#49 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:
i want to know, plz tell me lol.
#50 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Meh, saw it, didn't care either way. Wasn't offended, didn't laugh.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.