SANDMAN Movie by Matthew Vaughn?

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

While promoting KICK-ASS at the South by Southwest festival this past weekend, director Matthew Vaughn discussed the possibility of doing a live action version of the SANDMAN with MTV.

For those of you can’t watch the video, here’s what he said… 

"[Neil and I] talked about it… I think as a movie it's virtually impossible to make properly… I think it would make an amazing HBO series, you know, where you can just really create that world… There's too much to get into an hour and a half, two hours."

No Caption Provided

No stranger to comic adaptations and, specifically, Neil Gaiman adaptations, Vaughn directed the big screen version of STARDUST a couple years back.

There’s been talk of a SANDMAN movie for years. That Akiva Goldman-written screenplay, which put the Sandman against a king of bad dreams, as I recall, is still floating around somewhere online. Strangely, I remember Gaiman talking about a movie version of DEATH: THE HIGH COST OF LIVING a while back with the certainty that he was going to write and direct it. According to his Twitter account, though, it appears as if those plans have been dashed in favor of letting HELLBOY and BLADE II director Guillermo del Toro handle it.

No Caption Provided

So tweets Mr. Gaiman…

@neilhimself Guillermo was in fine form. Many movies were discussed over lunch including Death and The Hobbit.

I suppose there is always the possibility that the two guys were talking about death, in general. You know, the acceptance of life’s fleeting nature and so on, but the chance is greater that they’re were discussing everybody's favorite cute goth Endless, Death.  It seemed like Gaiman was going to join Millar and several other comic creators in making the transition to the director’s chair, but alas…

As for my opinion? I think DEATH would make an easier transition to the silver screen. It’s a little more of a two-minute pop single to Sandman’s three hour concept album, and I’m sure it could ride on the goth-chic those TWILIGHT movies have ushered in. But SANDMAN? Leave it as is, brother. It’s fine that way. It’s already so wonderfully dense and literary, why run it through a development process that’s just going to slice all of that off?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia Comics.   Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this March - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

Black Saturn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#1  Edited By Black Saturn

I loved Stardust!And i hope Sandman gets made.But only if it's right!

kukheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By kukheart

sandman would be next to impossible to make.. a hbo 12 hour season would be the only was possible

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By Bruce Vain

I've never really cared for this Sandman. I've always been the Wesley Dodds Sandman guy. But I would say visually Neil Gaiman's Sandman would look visually beautiful onscreen like Mirrormask was and would see it.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    It's good to see they are down to Earth with their approach of the subject, though. It's true that a Sandman film would be extremely difficult to make, but I can definitely see a TV series working.
    Tim Simmons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Tim Simmons

Somewhere out there is the Roger Avery draft of the Sandman screenplay-- it basically compressed Preludes and The Doll House into one film. It worked, more or less. Not as effectively as an HBO mini would-- but it did work. 
    Avery's screenplay was based off of Ted Elliot and Terry Rossio's draft (the dudes that did Pirates) which is still available here:
     http://www.wordplayer.com/archives/SANDMAN.intro.html

As much as I love Sandman, it's kicked around for so long that I'm not sure it'll ever happen. 
    ...then again, I said the same thing about Watchmen.

goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By goldenkey

I agree with the adaptation being a series.  I think a lot of books could be done well if it's a series.  Even tho it was animated look how well done The Maxx was done when they animated the pages.  There was very  vero left out.  Sin City was done right, but had a lot in it.  The could actually make a series of the remaining stories.
    Avatar image for they_killed_cap_
    They Killed Cap!

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By They Killed Cap!

This would be kinda kool
    AngelFrost

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By AngelFrost

I think not-as-well-known comics like Sandman, should be translated to a television series. [:  It gets a little stupid when several comic movies all come out at the same time ... rushed, a tv series gives it more time to span the stories

MonicleMonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By MonicleMonkey

I would pay for HBO just to watch this show, does anyone else think American Gods would make a good series as well or am I the only weird one?

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#10  Edited By NightFang3

I think Sandman should get a movie then tie-in TV show.

Staticoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By Staticoss

which sandman from DC are they talking about 
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.