Deadpool #61

#1 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

I have to say I thoroughly enjoyed this issue. One of the things that I think really stood out to me was Daniel Way's versatility as a writer. If you had any doubt that the man could write some more serious dialogue, then you should definitely pick up this issue. DEADPOOL #61 manages to eloquently merge a more serious storyline with the goofiness of Deadpool. The tone fluctuates effortlessly in this book and it is written really clearly and really well.

It's becoming more and more apparent that Deadpool has made plenty of enemies over the years; some of them more obvious than others. The latest rivalry is one he likely knows nothing about. A former FBI agent caught in the line of fire while on the job becomes trapped and is confined to a wheelchair thanks to Deadpool's reckless behavior. It's clear that the character is definitely bitter and defiant, so from the moment she is introduced early on in the issue I got the sense that there was more to her than she was letting on. And I was right. There's a lot of great dialogue and action, and although Deadpool does make an appearance, this issue's focus is moreso on the background of his adversary than it is on him. It's clear, however, that the next issue's focus will likely revert back to the infamous 'Merc with a mouth.'

This comic is really well organized. The story jumps around a bit but not in a confusing way. The flashbacks and the change of scenery are well written.

The Bad

Who doesn't love Hit Monkey? Any Deadpool fan holds a special place in their comic-loving heart for the goofy character, and most people are thrilled at the chance of seeing him grace the pages of our Marvel comics. Having said that, I am not quite sure how I feel about him here. I enjoyed the break-up in the story starring Deadpool and Hit Monkey, but I don't know why it happened. Why was he in this issue at all? It just felt really random.

I am not the biggest fan of Ale Garza, I feel the women in his books look a little bit plastic, even if it does sort of fit here.

The Verdict

I liked this issue more than many other issues of DEADPOOL. I felt like the balance between the Deadpool story and the background story of the villain that is on his heels is pretty good. The comic is well organized and well structured even with the fluctuation in the tone of the issue. It's really easy to read and the perfect jumping on point for new readers. I am definitely excited to see the next issue and to find out what will happen to the character next.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.