Mark Millar Says Red Mist Goes Very Dark in Kick-Ass 2

• 97 results
Posted by G-Man (31704 posts) - - Show Bio
Now that Kick-Ass has been released on DVD and Blu-ray and (some of us) have seen the beginning of Kick-Ass 2 in the first issue of CLiNT, Mark Millar has begun talking about the movie sequel. 

In an interview with Empire Online, Millar reveals some information on what we can expect with Red Mist. 

"It’s gangs going all over New York filming atrocities on their cell phones and putting them on the internet, trying to outdo each other, all at the behest of Red Mist. My idea for Red Mist was to introduce a supervillain that made Heath Ledger’s Joker look like Cesar Romero’s Joker. He’s basically Charles Manson as a supervillain."

It turns out he will be getting a new name as well. Millar says that Christopher Mintz-Plasse is tired of people calling him "McLovin'" so he decided to give the character a new name that people can use. Let's think about this for a second, what name could we possibly expect to come from the mind of Mr. Millar? 
 == TEASER == 
Red Mist will be changing his name to "The Motherfucker." What do you think?
Staff
#1 Posted by Ry Fryy (370 posts) - - Show Bio

Mofo, for short.

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? That is the name they chose to use?

#3 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

That's awesome.

#4 Posted by conformist21 (413 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey it's The Mofo

#5 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Ry Fryy said:
" Mofo, for short. "
LMAO
#6 Posted by Duncan (11444 posts) - - Show Bio

Kinda dumb name. I was actually excited for something dark.

#7 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24 said:
" Really? That is the name they chose to use? "
i agree. real creative. mark millar is just starting to annoy me
#8 Posted by Tmul501 (597 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this will be cool in the comics, but when they make this into a movie I can't see how they'll get McLovin to play a believable Manson-like villain unless he takes some acting lessons IMO

#9 Posted by GraveSp (318 posts) - - Show Bio

Is Mark Millar able to describe one of his characters without referencing the Batman universe?  First it was Nemesis being described as Bruce Wayne as the Joker and now this.  Not that I mind really but its kinda weird.

#10 Posted by Duncan (11444 posts) - - Show Bio
@GraveSp: He also has one with a Superman reference.
#11 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

the name is stupid, red mist is supposed to be a comic fan so you'd think he'd come up with a better name other then that i sounds like it's going to be cool.

#12 Posted by AmazingSpiderMike (144 posts) - - Show Bio

He's one bad Mother....shut yo mouth!!!!!

#13 Posted by hdorman1 (4662 posts) - - Show Bio

awesome 

#14 Posted by alicemalice (74 posts) - - Show Bio

Lol I definetely don't blame him. I hate it when people can't seperate a character from an actor.

Definitely interested to see if they can pull off something quite that dark.

#15 Posted by ForbushBug (496 posts) - - Show Bio

Woo hoo... more shock value from Millar that is neither shocking nor of value. He gave us gratuitous random violence and villain with f-bombs in their names in "Wanted." It was lame then, now it's lame and tired. How about instead of bombarding his fan base with gore and profanity he actually writes a story?

#16 Posted by Moomin123 (2205 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't get the joke with "McLovin", what does it mean?
#17 Edited by bloodvice (63 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the Motherfucker is just obscene. 

But when your arch-nemesis is called Kick-Ass, I guess you can't complain at all. 

The first flick was actually quite innovative, and rather entertaining. Let's just hope the sequel lives up to its predecessor.

#18 Posted by Comik Book Guy (43 posts) - - Show Bio

that's a stupid name, but all of their names aren't that good and i guess thats the point

#19 Posted by Pizawle (1074 posts) - - Show Bio

That comment was idiotic and the name is just pointless.

It is getting harder and harder to like Millar.

#20 Posted by Mediant (329 posts) - - Show Bio
@Moomin123: It's a Super Bad reference. It was the name on Mintz-Plasse's character's fake ID. 

- -- 
I'm not sure about the new name, but the rest of this sounds pretty cool.
#21 Posted by 614azrael (10307 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:
come on u cant b that surprised lol, are lead hero is kick ass r actual hero who dose stuf is hit girl her mentor was big daddy r villin is red mist an nemises. red mist having this as an alternativ name isnt tht surprising. 
The movie may b good but none of us should go in xpecting a rich endepth story of good n evil
#22 Posted by The_Martian (36984 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Mist's new name sucks.

#23 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio
@614azrael: I just don't like the new name. That's all.
#24 Posted by Mr.Hulk_Smashin'! (2569 posts) - - Show Bio

Seriously?
They could have called him something different?
Nothing like.....I don't know "Bloody Butcher?"

#25 Posted by Sergotron (108 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this is really happening isn't it? The dvd sales must have gone a lot better than the box office final draw. Good for them, it was an entertaining flick.

#26 Posted by G'bandit (13689 posts) - - Show Bio

THey officially mess it up.. Red Mist was better and cooler imo

#27 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9565 posts) - - Show Bio

not feelin the new name at all

#28 Posted by 614azrael (10307 posts) - - Show Bio
@ComicMan24:
i agree just wanted to point out that its not the least bit surprising. Miller dose good at heres a good seting an heres r anti heroes n villins with "out of the box names that r rele jus simplistic campy names" an now thers vilence yay. wow lol think i actuly just sumed up his work style perfectly
#29 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't his name revealed before?

#30 Posted by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio
#31 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2226 posts) - - Show Bio

Completely saw it coming. It's not incredibly unique or anything, but it's straightforward and makes sense. Plus, he's a narcissistic asshole, it just suits him. Sure it's kind of stupid, but it's a sensical that-kind-of-Mark-Millar-over-the-top badassness to it. It's fine.

#32 Posted by Aronmorales (9434 posts) - - Show Bio

Millar is a very interesting fellow; How is it that the guy who wrote the Marvel Civil War, one of my favorite stories of all time, can also come up with stuff like this? 

I talk to my brother about this rom time to time, When Millar wrote for CAp in the Civil War, I was wowed by how close to character he came, then I went and picked up WANTED... 

Needless question for the day.
#33 Posted by Grendel (560 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying too hard is what I think.

#34 Posted by JohnDudebro (15 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I love Mark Millar so much. It's the stupidest fucking thing I've ever heard, but it's simultaneously the most hysterical thing I've ever heard. 

God bless you, Mark.

#35 Posted by Dfense75 (26 posts) - - Show Bio

Mark Millar has obviously decided to stop making good stories and instead make entertainment that appeals to the lowest common denominator. I only site his marketing genius in knowing that people will come in droves to watch crap. Naming a character "The Motherfucker" is just weak.

#36 Edited by The Mighty Monarch (2226 posts) - - Show Bio
@JohnDudebro: EXACTLY. Glad someone here can see the retarded genius in this idea. 

And I mean that in a good way.
#37 Posted by Catastrophic (312 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't know about you people but while The Motherfucker sounds hillarious it fits the storyline perfectly in a sense.

We all know that Red Mist is a classic example of a narcissist so the name makes sense in this case. It may be funny to us, but to a person like Red Mist who basically wants to be remembered, he would think it as dead serious.

So the joke will work on both ways in which he thinks the name is kick-ass (no pun intended) but to the masses, people would have a huge wtf moment.

Side note: So profanity is now allowed on comicvine? Yay!

#38 Posted by Silver Knight75 (1145 posts) - - Show Bio

I hate the name
#39 Posted by Akalie (25 posts) - - Show Bio

The first one I loved so... Definitely excited to see a sequel.

#40 Posted by Avengers_4everXX (156 posts) - - Show Bio

did almost all of you completely misunderstand the point of Kick-Ass? it was written to satirize the stereotypical comic book world, where heroes are good role models and have self control. i think it's safe to say that in this day and age, if superheroes actually existed, it would be just as bloody, gory, and graphic as Millar wrote in Kick-Ass, which is exactly the point he was trying to make, that in actuality, the comic book world probably isn't how things would actually work

#41 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (356 posts) - - Show Bio

U dont mess with a guy called mother fucker

#42 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18847 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO Very creative name.

#43 Posted by Hashbrowns (68 posts) - - Show Bio

Is obscenity still considered clever by that many people?  I'm starting to think that Millar just might be an insecure pubescent with a slight case of progeria.
#44 Posted by Dfense75 (26 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avengers_4everXX said:
" did almost all of you completely misunderstand the point of Kick-Ass? it was written to satirize the stereotypical comic book world, where heroes are good role models and have self control. i think it's safe to say that in this day and age, if superheroes actually existed, it would be just as bloody, gory, and graphic as Millar wrote in Kick-Ass, which is exactly the point he was trying to make, that in actuality, the comic book world probably isn't how things would actually work "
The telling of how super heroes would be in a real world environment was done already and executed much better. It's called Watchmen.
#45 Posted by DeathinFire (281 posts) - - Show Bio

So do any of you know what "Red Mist" refers to?  Well, I mean, what I always assumed Millar was talking about anyways.  "Red Mist" or sometimes "Pink Mist" is what someone becomes when they're too close to a hand grenade or other explosive.  It's a term used very often to refer to someone who's been completely obliterated.  They're "Red Mist".  Like, "Hey don't walk that way, or you'll be red mist".  Or, "One of those lands next to you, and you're just red mist".  Because explosives, from time to time, do turn people into a reddish mist.

Just pointing out that "Red Mist" is probably more than just a generic superhero name (although it's kinda generic).

#46 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2226 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dfense75 said:
" @Avengers_4everXX said:
" did almost all of you completely misunderstand the point of Kick-Ass? it was written to satirize the stereotypical comic book world, where heroes are good role models and have self control. i think it's safe to say that in this day and age, if superheroes actually existed, it would be just as bloody, gory, and graphic as Millar wrote in Kick-Ass, which is exactly the point he was trying to make, that in actuality, the comic book world probably isn't how things would actually work "
The telling of how super heroes would be in a real world environment was done already and executed much better. It's called Watchmen. "
I disagree. While Watchmen is an awesome awesome awesome piece of work, I think Kick-Ass is a MUCH better representation of Superheroes in a real world setting, personally. I mean, I think Watchmen is a better comic, but Kick-Ass does a better job of being 'real.'
#47 Posted by jakob187 (998 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, it fits Millar's personality.

#48 Posted by Weapon ONE (24 posts) - - Show Bio
@Duncan said:
" Kinda dumb name. I was actually excited for something dark. "
Me too, Something clever. Not just a "Bad Word"
#49 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29499 posts) - - Show Bio

I love you Mark Millar. You clever, clever b@stard.

#50 Posted by TheBug (1111 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to say that Mark Millar is a bad writer, because he has actually written some pretty impressive stories. Right now I'm not impressed. This is just unclever, unfunny, and uncreative. I mean really? That’s what you’re going to write. I'm supposed to get into this?  

I am all for mature comics, but this isn't mature, its high school. In fact it’s almost laughable. Boobs, blood, and bad words. Wow, the f word! How shocking! Weak sauce.    

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.