pspin's The Ravagers #0 - Day One review

Ravagers #0 Review

Ravagers #0 Review

Overview:

We are given an in depth look at what happened to the five people who eventually join Fairchild and become the Ravagers.

The Good:

The story is a little bit of sci-fi/action/horror and is successful at it. The story is about what happened to the team when they first got to the Colony and spends some time with each character but focuses primarily on Beast Boy and Terra and how they became friends in a terrible situation.

The writing by Howard Mackie is superb and explains what is going on without being too wordy or holding too much back. It works well unless you don’t like exposition, then it will suck. One thing that is nice to see is the consistent portrayal of Harvest across all of the series he has been in, and here he is just as evil and foreboding as ever.

The art by Ian Churchill and Norm Rapmund is excellent. The character of Non, a meta-human staff member of the colony is very interesting from an art perspective and hopefully, she can show up in the main series.

The Bad:

Nothing is mentioned about Fairchild, and while she is mentioned in Superboy #0, she is starring in this series and deserves at least a mention here; her powers and history has been left mostly in the dark and it would have been nice to have some light shown upon it.

Beast Boy comes off as a whiney bitch in this and while it is not a bad reaction for someone in his position, he could have toned it down a little bit. Especially after the view of Terra he got…

Verdict:

A great issue that is another step in the right direction for the series; seeing the history of the characters and their life in the Colony was interesting; if Mackie, Churchill, and Rapmund keep it up, there will be good things ahead.

4 out of 5

Posted by BatWatch

I didn't think Beast Boy was a b****, but other than that, good review. (grins)

Posted by pspin

@PsychoKnights: Well all he did was whine until the end and then he was alright but for most of the issue, I thought he was. Thanks for the like.

@pspin said:

He didn't strike me as all that whiny. (chuckles) I mean, it makes sense to be somewhat upset when someone kidnaps and tortures you. But, to each their own.

Posted by pspin

@PsychoKnights: The torture, or course, cry your heart out, your being tortured, but afterwards when he was in the Colony with the others, all he did was whine and have Terra save him and then almost get her killed, twice. I guess it did pay off though, he did get a great view of Terra's assets.

@pspin said:

(chuckles) I still think you are being too harsh on Beast Boy, but I understand what you are saying.