k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

One of my favorite things about THE PUNISHER #11 is it doesn't feel like a single page is wasted. On each and every page, writer Nathan Edmondson is doing something to move the plot forward. And you know what? I'm totally immersed in this crime-infested world and want to see more and more of it. While I will say the prison plot feels like it's resolved a little too swiftly, I do question how much longer that could have lasted and it does successfully shed more light on why Castle was even there in the first place. It wasn't the most expansive plot around, but it felt like proper follow-up to his time with Black Widow and allows for a familiar face to reenter the picture. It's unclear just how long this character will stay in the story, but it does generate a more humanizing scene with Frank Castle. When we think of the Punisher, we often think of a man who will go through anything to complete his objective. He's almost more machine than man when it comes to all he's endured throughout the years. However, after everything he's encountered, you can't blame him for showing a brief sign of weakness while he's talking with someone he trusts. He is human, after all. If anything, what he does to escape the prison should counter any ideas of Frank going soft.

Artist Mitch Gerads (Matthew Wilson helped with colors) presents an impressively cinematic experience for our eyes. I really, really like many of the layouts and how they focus on individual actions. The character's actions are very precise and this makes the experience feel more fluid and prevents it from ever seeming static. I'm a big fan of how he handles Frank, too. The anti-hero always looks like he's been through hell and won't stand for any nonsense, even when he's just talking on the phone. It's a fitting for the guy, isn't it? There's quite a few panels where vibrant colors fill up the background and ooze into the environment and it's appropriate for what's going on. I enjoyed the shade of blue that filled the prison as Frank interrogated Ruiz and the bright shades of red perfectly complimented the violent strikes. There's a panel of a bloodied Frank being dragged away and the entire panel's just white and red. It's so simple but the strong contrast makes the moment so much more powerful.

The Bad

I can't help but feel like the Howling Commandos are the weak point of this series. We may get some major payoff down the road, but as of right now, it seems like they just randomly pop in and out of the picture. However, the name of the person they're looking for has me curious to see what Edmondson has in store for us.

As much as I enjoy the artwork, the first panel had something very distracting: floating heads on the seats. Now, it's just one panel so it's not a big deal, but we're talking about the very first panel of the comic. It looks like they were rushed in well after the panel was seemingly finished. When you're reading a digital copy which expands each panel, something like this really does stand out.

Man, Officer Stone can't catch a break, can she? Just when we think she's finally going to begin this badass mission, she's busted by her fellow cops? I'm sure there's plenty of good stuff to come, but I'm hoping this isn't the last we see of Stone taking action.

The Verdict

THE PUNISHER #11 is plot-heavy and never lost sight of my attention. This story arc has so many pieces in motion, but it doesn't feel convoluted at all. It keeps a firm focus on giving us more insight into Frank Castle while successfully balancing interesting developments with the supporting characters and villains. New readers may feel a tad lost, but the way it's written gives you everything you really need to know. For example, you'll have no idea who the cameo is, but you'll understand the relationship the character has with Frank. Edmondson and Gerads may not be doing anything drastically new with the character, but what they are doing is gripping and incredibly entertaining.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 64

This issue was amazing! Not only did it make me feel better and fix all the issues I had with how Black Widow was being a hypocrite, but it bought Rachel Cole back into the story! I wasn't expecting to see her any time soon if ever after the way things ended with her. Great issue.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

@teerack said:

This issue was amazing! Not only did it make me feel better and fix all the issues I had with how Black Widow was being a hypocrite, but it bought Rachel Cole back into the story! I wasn't expecting to see her any time soon if ever after the way things ended with her. Great issue.

I came in to complain about a potential lack of Rachel Cole (haven't read the issue yet), but knowing that she logically makes an appearance gives me joy.

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome issue if you ask me.

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

Another great issue. Very glad that Rachel is brought back in.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's funny that Rachel Cole comes back into the picture just as it seems like they're rehashing her storyline with Stone.

Teerack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 64

I just remembered that AIM hired Domino to do something in the end of issue 4... did they ever follow up on that? I looked for it but couldn't find it mentioned since.

MegaHGFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was a great issue and it looks like exciting things are on the way for the Punisher. I was upset about Black Widow dropping Frank off in the prison, but I am so glad all that was explained. I also love that Rachel has returned, I hope her and Frank do some punishing together in the next few issues and she becomes a regular character again.

DCWarFan73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

This series just keeps rolling along with great writing and artwork. I do like the Howling Commandos hiding in the wings doing their clandestine thing which hopefully will have a great payoff when Frank has to confront them. I also like the closure on the whole Black Widow/prison deal as well. This is the one series Marvel puts out that I have enjoyed from issue 1 and will keep reading for as long as it runs.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue, one of the best of the series so far. At times through the series, it's felt like a lot of the plot points were beginning to meander all over the place. This issue really brings it all back together and answered a lot of issues. Also glad to see Rachel again as well as a good resolution as to why Natasha dropped him off at a South American prison. This has been a great interpretation of 616 Frank.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

RACHEL!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.