undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Punisher stories aren’t the easiest in the world to ground in the hyper-reality of Marvel U. Unlike the Batman, Castle doesn’t have bottomless wealth nor an entire youth becoming a ninja-detective with a utility belt that Domino and Longshot would find convenient. He’s merely got his training and a whole lotta guns. Nathan Edmonson has crafted a Punisher tale that takes Frank out of his comfort-zone of New York and transplants him to the favorite superhero secondary city of LA, but at this point I’ll take it. Edmonson, in this issue, has a much more focused lens on Punisher himself and his motivation. It’s actually an incredibly tense scene when Electro is shock-torturing him and off-handedly mentions that his memories will begin to fade if he keeps up much more of this. Castle’s memories define so much of him that that is a definite and real threat. We also get glimpses at the supporting cast that’s been established, and while they’re not always the most compelling characters, it’s neat to see them nevertheless.

Mitch Gerads art is everything we need for a great Punisher series: it’s jagged, it’s intentional, there’s no wasted imagery. It’s utilitarian, but neither boring nor lazy and the color scheme he chooses is both beautiful in its mundanity and striking when players like Electro are front-and-center. The illusion of motion is definitely here and it’s absolutely necessary with a procedural book like this.

The Bad

The newly introduced Howling Commandos are STILL essentially window-dressing and have very little, if any, backstory to fall back on for their motivation. I can’t yet tell if they’re mercenaries or S.H.I.E.L.D. agents, as would befit their name, but at this point they’ve managed to mug an innocent bystander and his dog. Truly a force to be reckoned with. I know they’ll likely come into their own before the arc ends, but at this point they just seem to be borderline sociopathic bullies. The art generally holds up its end of the bargain amazingly well, but there are some panels where either a face or a pose looks awkward or incorrectly staged. It’s never TOO severe, but it’s enough to break the illusion once or twice.

The Verdict

The Punisher, as with Edmonson’s other book Black Widow, is a great book for anyone looking to branch out from superheroes or break INTO them. If it helps your palette at all, think of it as an action/crime series with a supernatural bend because that’s essentially what it is and I love it for it. Castle’s always struggled to find his place in the Marvel U, and that place often gets relegated to parody or self-aware references. This is a book that posits his place is right alongside the other hitters in the Marvel U, even if it isn’t among the A-listers.

Avatar image for beaconofstrength
    BeaconofStrength

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great issue.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By longbowhunter

I'm ready to see these new Howling Commandos get into the fray. Odd cameo by one of my all time favorite Marvel ladies at the end. I have so many questions though.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

A rather eclectic ensemble of characters from various aspects of the Marvel U seem to be popping up in this book. I like it.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may sound odd, my favorite thing about this series so far is how cool Electro looks in every panel he appears. I can't get enough of that cool glowing effect they got going on.

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want this badly to be a great punisher series. it has been solid so far, but if I don't love it after a few more issues I will drop it.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I've been living so far and I think the Howling Commandos are fine, Edmondson is clearly setting them up for the next arc.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm ready to see these new Howling Commandos get into the fray. Odd cameo by one of my all time favorite Marvel ladies at the end. I have so many questions though.

It was great to see her, but it definitely confused me. No doubt it'll be explained next issue, though.

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It may sound odd, my favorite thing about this series so far is how cool Electro looks in every panel he appears. I can't get enough of that cool glowing effect they got going on.

It's not that odd. I totally agree with you, he looks awesome.

snarkybits

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By snarkybits

Elektro?

;)

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Really enjoying this series. Edmondson is doing a great job keeping it grounded as possible for a Marvel book. Didn't expect to see who showed up on the last page, can't wait to see how it all plays out.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.