gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Every once in a while comics can give you a wondrous surprise. Somehow I was completely unaware that Brian K. Vaughan and Marcos Martin were working on a comic together. Set in a future world where technology is seen differently and privacy is held at an absurd level. With a main character that is a paparazzi, we get quite an interesting look at what this future holds.

I could try to describe it more but the problem is, I wouldn't be doing it justice. This is a comic that needs to be seen. As corny as it may sound, reading it is an experience. Not only does Vaughan's story take us to a new and fascinating place, but Marcos Martin's art with Muntsa Vicente's colors make it a trip you won't forget.

We posted an article about this yesterday. Besides the great creative team, there's the fact that you can determine how much to pay for it. By visiting their WEBSITE, you can get the comic by naming your price. The idea is if it's successful enough, we'll see plenty more. I'll be completely honest, I paid $3.00. I wish I paid more. This is a comic I'm proud to support and I definitely want to see more.

The Bad

The only bad thing is some may not pay what this comic is worth.

The Verdict

I try to encourage readers to try something different once in a while. This is the perfect candidate. I went into it without knowing what it was about and that amped up the excitement. If you've ever read anything by Brian K. Vaughan or have seen Marcos Martin's art, you know you're in for quite a treat. You don't need me to tell you how great this is. Give it a try. Visit the website and name your price. You'll be happy you did. This is what happens when creators decide to take a risk. You owe it to yourself to take a risk as well and check this out. You can thank me later.

JairamGanpat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 19

#1  Edited By JairamGanpat

I don't have paypal and I don't want paypal. :(

Hopefully it will be in print someday.

skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By skooks

That last panel got me so pumped for the next issue. This was an awesome read, can't wait for more.

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By DonFelipe

Paid $3.20 for the 32 pages. Pretty cool that they also offer versions in Spanish (and Catalan). Love it!

The colors are crazy and the art is AMAZING!!! You're absolutely right, G-Man, one has to see and experience it. Pretty much like Saga though different artist are responsible - as a creative artist it must be kinda fun to work with Vaughan. He's got all the crazy, mind-blowing ideas for stories and characters. You never know what'll come next.

The Private Eye is another masterpiece. Can't do anything wrong picking up a Vaughan!

DonFelipe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 8

#4  Edited By DonFelipe

Just finished reading it twice. It's beautiful! Can't wait for more. Hopefully, the next issue is going to be available soon...

Meteorite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By Meteorite

The only bad thing is some may not pay what this comic is worth.

Which is why I haven't bought/read it yet ;)

K3vinkha0S

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By K3vinkha0S

If your a BKV fan this is a must buy, and its pay what you want! How can you go wrong.

Cavemold

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 87

#7  Edited By Cavemold

i loved this!!!! when the next issue coming out?

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I know I'm the jerk, but I chose to pay $0. It was an option and I took it. If there were full pages available for preview, I might've plopped down $2 or $3. The news post a few days ago about this digital-book didn't give any actual information. "You need to get this book! (why?) Because they'll make money from it! (…aaaaand?) They'll use that money to put out the rest of it! (ಠ_ಠ)" I don't know why they didn't put out a real preview instead of those few colored pages without any dialogue. Comixology usually has the first issue of an story for a free download, indie games like The Walking Dead give you the first installment free to whet your appetite and get you to pay for later installments. iTunes and Amazon let you listen to clips of a song before DLing it. Dunno why they kept everything so close to the chest here, I'd think they'd get more/higher paying customers with a preview. I am a story guy, so those blank pages did nothing for me. And honestly, I don't think highly of anyone who likes comics (or movies or tv shows for that matter) based solely on the visuals, but that's neither here nor there.

I don't know if I'll be in for the rest of this series. Generally I like noir movies, I like cyberpunk books, I really liked the tattooed, octogenarian hipster grandfather - he reminded me of everything I hate about my generation. But so far this doesn't feel like it matches noir or cyberpunk what with the super bright colors and lack of the internet.

AltyAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AltyAce

@JairamGanpat: You don't need Paypal and can enter 0 to try out the first issue at least.

I would have given this 4.5 stars It was really enjoyable and I loved the art but I didn't get as much of the "I need the next issue now!" factor that I get with Saga.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By Mucklefluga

@JairamGanpat said:

they have said it is never going into print.

I paid 2 dollars i really wish i paid more and i definitely will for the next issues, love it!

only paid 50 cents! What a tight bas***d, he said he would've paid nothing if he realised you could've.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By danhimself

I paid 3 bucks and it was worth every penny...can't wait for the next issue

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#12  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

I don't have paypal, but I wish I could for this awesome book instead of getting it free.

BKV You da best! :)

DanyBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By DanyBoy

I didnt' pay, I'm an asshole. I'm paying my second #1 issue right now !

Avatar image for the_jackolantern
    The_jackolantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By The_jackolantern

I paid a dollar I pay more for the next issue but a dollar is enough for a issue I know nothing about

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

For those wondering about pricing, I paid $3.00 for this. I do think it's okay to pay as low as a buck for this as most digital-only or digital-first comics go for that price. Seriously, that's getting one size smaller coffee in the morning over 2 days. That's getting 5 tacos from Taco Bell instead of 6. Support the creators. For something like this, it's more than worth it.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

There's an option to pay without Paypal.

Dud317

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dud317

I've taken two things from this.

1) If they didn't want to give people the option of downloading it for free, they wouldn't have. Instead of calling people names, maybe commend BKV and MM for their generosity.

2) Gman said they plan on printing it. If thats accurate, they've already 180'd from their original plans.

It worked for Radiohead.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.