Follow

The Phantom

Character » The Phantom appears in 9042 issues.

Created in 1936 by Lee Falk, The Phantom dwells deep in jungles of the African nation of Bangalla. The "Ghost Who Walks" has battled pirates and criminals for more than 400 years!

Will The Phantom Walk Again?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck
    The Phantom
    The Phantom
    The news came out yesterday that Australian company, Sherlock Symington Productions has the rights and wants to do a $130 million dollar budget film.  The Phantom is definitely an interesting character with a lot of history but trying to translate that into live-action may be a little difficult as we saw back in 1996. 

I didn't really mind the movie starring Billy Zane.  Then again, I haven't seen it since 1996.  A guy walking around in purple spandex, sometimes riding a white horse, it can be a hard sell.

Having a bigger budget can help.  Bruce Sherlock will be the executive producer (and also had the same role in the '96 version).  He does feel that having a limited budget the first time around put a slight damper on things.  He's convinced it can be done even better this time.

Will you be interested in seeing the Phantom again on the big screen?  Do you think the public wants to?  What about Billy Zane?
    Hmmm...
    Hmmm...
    CaptHowdy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 188

User Lists: 11

#1  Edited By CaptHowdy

Obviously I am a huge Phantom fan so can't wait to see this one get off the ground.

Yes i am wary that the same guy who made the 1996 film (or at least was involved with it) is back as. while it was a fun film, wasn't really anything fantastic.

Billy Zane is not an up an comer like he was back then.  I remember Bruce Campbell in his biography stated that it was between him and Zane at the end.  How about Bruce?!?!?  Ah, but then again he's even older I think.  Still based off of the basic storyline ideas that are being thrown around on the net, it looks like it would be an older Phantom with his kid trying to show him the ropes, perhaps one of them may be a good choice then.  I personally think it will be an Aussie actor since its all being made down there.  Guy Pierce would be cool.

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By The_Martian

Phantom? I can barely remember the last movie, but I would probably watch it.

Precise

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#3  Edited By Precise

I'd watch it, the last one wasn't exactly good so perhaps they'd do a better job with this one, slightly worried about the budget though.. so i won't get my hopes up too high.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#4  Edited By NightFang3

I would watch it just get a better actor, story and lose the purple spandex.

santeria_smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By santeria_smith
    NightFang said:
    "I would watch it just get a better actor, story and lose the purple spandex."
    -smacks- No.
    Midnightist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Midnightist

Wow I barely remember this but I do remember I loved it as a kid

Vermont_Ferret

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Vermont_Ferret

The Phantom deserves to be done with brilliance and respect. I think the Zane film worked hard to be good, but there was just something missing.

wynnter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The Phantom has a licensed board game on kickstarter at the moment

https://tinyurl.com/ThePhantomBoardGame

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.