Follow

The Phantom

Character » The Phantom appears in 9049 issues.

Created in 1936 by Lee Falk, The Phantom dwells deep in jungles of the African nation of Bangalla. The "Ghost Who Walks" has battled pirates and criminals for more than 400 years!

Exclusive: Alex Ross To Bring Back The Phantom!

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    No Caption Provided
    Do you remember seeing The Phantom, that superhero movie from way back in the 90's? Did you ever read the comic books? Believe it or not, The Phantom was one of my favorite films when I was growing up. I know, it was cheesy, and I am sure I am idealizing it but I remember thinking it was a great film as a kid! 

I have to say I was pretty stoked when I found out that Alex Ross would be helming the release of the new Dynamite title. Ross will act as the creative helm on the new series which will be scripted by Scott Beatty ( G.I. Joe) and penciled by Eduardo Ferigato ( Sinbad). Ross will be taking The Phantom into a whole new direction where apparently, there is no Phantom. According to the solicit from Dynamite, it seems Ross may be the perfect guy for the job considering he happens to be a huge fan of the classic comic book character.

The historic line stops at Kit Walker the 21st, who has forsaken the mantle of The Ghost Who Walks and is enjoying a life with a growing family, while handling the day-to-day affairs of the Walkabout Foundation, a philanthropy created by one of the previous Walkers/Phantoms to help support charities benefiting Bengala, and the surrounding nations of continental Africa. The Walkabout Foundation was funded initially by pirate treasure from the very first Phantom's origins. The organization is symbolic of every young Walker's world-spanning journey from the Skull Cave to the "outside world," becoming educated and awaiting his destiny to one day take up the costume and crusade of the Phantom. Except that this Kit refused to take up the domino mask, rings, and Colt .45s of his father upon Kit Sr.'s death. Alex Ross' beautiful and dynamic vision promises to bring the concept of the Phantom to the 21st century, and it could not be in better hands.

"Being a fan of the Phantom for many years, I've had a vision for a long time of a stylistic change and a dramatic way of illustrating him," said Alex Ross.  "Finally through Dynamite Entertainment and working with Scott Beatty, I'm able to fulfill this artistic concept and give a very personalized spin on one of the greatest superheroes of them all."

Dynamite also sent us some pretty awesome concept art to promote their upcoming series, take a look! I for one am really interested in seeing what this comic will be all about, and I'm glad to see that Ross wants to revive the classic character. Are you a fan of The Phantom? Would you pick up the series?  

Icarusflies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 14

#1  Edited By Icarusflies  Moderator

Okay, I've  barely heard of this character before, but this looks really cool.

MilosRadmilac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By MilosRadmilac

Ooooo hell yeah!! I'm so reading this!! I adore Phantom!! I read it as a kid from my father's old  issues/books... I adore it! Can't wait! :D

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By warlock360

Looking good, Dynamite ftw

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#5  Edited By sora_thekey

Huh... Worth checking out ...
    I never saw the movie... but now I'm intrigued

WW-Fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6  Edited By WW-Fan

wow amazing art
    RoninKane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RoninKane

I m kind of excited about this, I've always liked the Phantom and his back story. The passing of the persona from generation to generation left so much room for great stories either from the present Phantom or flashbacks to his ancestors. From what I remember, the movie wasn't half bad. I hope that Ross will run with it and hopefully erase my memory of that god awful Phantom TV pilot comicvine posted a couple months ago. 

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8  Edited By doordoor123

No idea who Phantom is, but ill read it because Alex Ross is AMAZING. Nothing compares to his work. Im excited just to see it.

jakob187

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#9  Edited By jakob187

Dynamite has been rocking some solid lineups on their label lately.  After I read The Green Hornet issue from FCBD, I ended up picking up all three of the core series that Kevin Smith is writing.  They've also got The Boys, which I've read a couple of issues for, and I enjoyed Herogasm.  It's definitely a label I'm willing to pay more attention to now, and with Alex Ross revisiting The Phantom, I'm even MORE interested!!!

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By ElJuano

Can the phantom just be Black already? Seriously I really like the character but the racial make up was for a very narrow minded audience back in the 40's, can't we re tell or re imagine this character so that it represents the continent  of Africa in a more realistic and authentic way? Just throwing it out there, Alex if you are listening c'mon... I think it's time!

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#11  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @ElJuano said:
    " Can the phantom just be Black already? Seriously I really like the character but the racial make up was for a very narrow minded audience back in the 40's, can't we re tell or re imagine this character so that it represents the continent  of Africa in a more realistic and authentic way? Just throwing it out there, Alex if you are listening c'mon... I think it's time! "
    Racial make up? Not familiar with that version of The Phantom.
    Clue me up.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Gylan Thomas

Hmm...not sure how I feel about the art. Not sure how the runny costume look's gonna work out.

Moonstone's has of course been doin' Phantom stories for a while now. Bit hit and miss though.

Dracade102

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: -1

#13  Edited By Dracade102

Hell yes.
    Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14  Edited By Vortex13
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Hmm...not sure how I feel about the art. Not sure how the runny costume look's gonna work out.  Moonstone's has of course been doin' Phantom stories for a while now. Bit hit and miss though. "
    I'd agree with that assessment.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Vortex13 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " Hmm...not sure how I feel about the art. Not sure how the runny costume look's gonna work out.  Moonstone's has of course been doin' Phantom stories for a while now. Bit hit and miss though. "
    I'd agree with that assessment. "
    The art or the moonstone phantoms?
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Bruce Vain

I love love LOVE the Phantom. I thought the movie was just great. It was better than the Shadow and yes even the Rocketeer as much as I love that movie. Billy Zane did such an impeccable job as the Phantom it's just hard for me to see someone else play him. He had an impact on me just how well he played him and the charm that he gave the character. I loved how he was a fan of the Phantom since he was a kid and how he refused to wear a muscle suit & proved that he could pack on the muscle. Which he did BIG time. So to me that movie doesn't get enough credit. What's funny is that Hugh Hefner is huge fan of the Phantom himself he let them use his mansion for the movie. It was earlier in the movie when Diana Palmer returned and was at that party. So The Phantom does have it's fans. It's nice to see Alex be the one to want to spearhead this and bring him back again. 

That's another thing why I'm a fan of Alex Ross besides his beautiful artwork. Is that he's a fan of the same heroes I like & grew up with. Like when it comes to DC he's a Silver Age fan like myself. So I'm just thrilled to see this happening.  

Thank you Babs for posting this & glad to see you're a fan of the 90's Phantom movie too. :D 

P.S. I'm not looking forward to that God awful Sci-Fi channel Phantom tv movie. Just looks flat out terrible.

UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#17  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

Well Babs,
    It could have been worse...you could have like Alec Baldwin's The Shadow  movie! I'm sure somewhere Billy Zane is proud to know there was one fan out there who loved that flick!

GT-Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By GT-Man

hes cutome is made of blood mostly looks kind of wierd but cool ill check it out it guess
    Avatar image for mysteriomaximus
    MysterioMaximus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MysterioMaximus

I'd love to see more Phantom, but who I'd really love to see more of is the Shadow!

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Bruce Vain

One of my favorite parts  

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @MysterioMaximus said:
    "I'd love to see more Phantom, but who I'd really love to see more of is the Shadow! "

Agreed and let's not forget the Roceketeer, Flash Gordon and Tarzan too.
    SUPER-MAN 23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 789

#22  Edited By SUPER-MAN 23

What has Alex Ross been doing. Has he made any recent comics? 

Vortex13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Vortex13
    @Gylan Thomas: The moonstone Phantom.
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @SUPER-MAN 23:
    He's being doing those Pulp like Superheroes like the Black Terror for example for Dynamite Comics. I think mainly doing cover work and their designs.
    skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By skaarason

i remember getting rings when i saw it !!!!!  

Aquamariner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Aquamariner

I gotta say, I loved the movie too! And when I found out that he was a comic book character I always wanted to read something about The Phantom, but i wanted something new, not 50 year old comics! 

I'm excited about this series and I think Ross fits in like a skull-shaped ring! haha!!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I have never seen a more creepy Phantom then the Last Phantom, Dynamite is a can not miss publisher. Green Hornet, The Phantom, Project Superpowers, and Vampirella. Dynamite is quickly turning into my favorite publisher, if it wasn't for Thor, Nova, Iron Man, and Cap I would exclusively pick up Dynamite.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#28  Edited By NightFang3

Another old school hero returns and I love it!

ElJuano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By ElJuano
    @Gylan Thomas: The Phantom is a white dude, like Tarzan, Doc Savage, The Spider and pretty much any of the other Pulp Heroes from that Era. I say if Nick Fury can be black why not the Phantom? I mean, wouldn't make more sense to make him black?
    LT1085

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By LT1085

That one trick pony needs to up his game and bring something new to the table.

Pez85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Pez85

It's hard to believe that the Billy Zane movie came out  just a little under 14 years ago. I used to love that movie as a kid. I'm just hoping they don't butcher it like they did with the made for tv movie.

@MysterioMaximus
    said:

"I'd love to see more Phantom, but who I'd really love to see more of is the Shadow! "

That'd be pretty cool. Shadow was another one of my favourites. How about a Phantom/Shadow team up?
    IpComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By IpComics

I am sorry "fans", but this take from Ross has nothing to do with the Phantom. It is a bit strange that Ross did not mention the 70 ++ years run of the Phantom in his original media, news papers. The Phantom is a character originally from the daily strips, later Sundays. He has also been seen in some books back in the 60/70ties, and very few in the 90ties. 

But, and that is important. The Phantom is the 21st in his line, has a mask and his suit, with guns, and he has two rings. He has also to promise to fulfill the oath etc, etc. Just look it up in a true book/strip of the Phantom. 

You can't make a figure, taking away all this, and call it "The Phantom", and still want anyone to take you serious!! Sorry Ross, that is not allowed!! Play along with your new toy as much as you want, but it is not the Phantom!    
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @aztek the lost said:
    "
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Avatar image for _mistress_redhead_
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

@Icarusflies said:
    " Okay, I've  barely heard of this character before, but this looks really cool. "
    *shock horror falls over from old age* ;p

The Phantom is a brilliant character, but has never been done well
    bingbangboom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By bingbangboom

I hope he knows he is leaking everywhere.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By johnny_spam

Heh, I remember the movie from my childhood as well as the Peter Chung animated Phantom. Well this looks a lot more fateful to the character than that SYFY movie that is coming out which looks like crap.  

This movie looks the opposite of what you want to do with nostalgic characters which is take them and reinvent them in the case of the Phantom the only people who will be interested is people who are already fans so I think they will look forward to the Alex Ross series more than this film. Hopefully this comic will do good as Alex Ross' other project with golden age characters Project Superpowers hasn't been met with much critical acclaim either.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @ElJuano said:
    " @Gylan Thomas: The Phantom is a white dude, like Tarzan, Doc Savage, The Spider and pretty much any of the other Pulp Heroes from that Era. I say if Nick Fury can be black why not the Phantom? I mean, wouldn't make more sense to make him black? "
    I don't have any thing against the concept of a black Phantom but it would mean changing his entire back story.
    The Smauel L. Jackson Fury is in a seperate universe so the Hasselhof Fury isn't completely forgotten.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny spam: what the heck is that crap! lol
    johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By johnny_spam
    @.Mistress Redhead.: Moron executives not respecting the few fans Phantom has.
    .Mistress Redhead.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny spam: true that! I mean I am a way back fan, but still respect the creation! The Ghost Who Walks deserves better!
    yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By yo_yo_fun

I've never heard of this character but it looks awesome. Of course, it is Alex Ross so everything he does is awesome.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Gylan Thomas said:

" @ElJuano said:

" @Gylan Thomas: The Phantom is a white dude, like Tarzan, Doc Savage, The Spider and pretty much any of the other Pulp Heroes from that Era. I say if Nick Fury can be black why not the Phantom? I mean, wouldn't make more sense to make him black? "
    I don't have any thing against the concept of a black Phantom but it would mean changing his entire back story. The Smauel L. Jackson Fury is in a seperate universe so the Hasselhof Fury isn't completely forgotten. "

@ElJuano said: 
    Oh Man, The Hasselhof Nick Fury is totally forgotten..... Total Cheese factory!! LOL But getting back to my point, that's exactly it though this is not the same phantom not the original anyway so why can't this version (I think it's supposed to be the 21st phantom) be a black dude, that's all I'm saying. Re invent or re thinking the Phantom in my opinion is just as easy as Nick Fury. Seriously I think that type of change would attract a whole slew of new fans not to mention get some color in all these pulp heroes of yesteryear.

Gylan Thomas:
    By "Hasslehof Fury" I meant the original honky fury. The comic book Fury.
    Samuel L Jackson Fury didn't replace Hasslhoff Fury. He was an alternative.
    Reinterpreting Phantom as a black man would change the characters back story or change his identitiy To Phantom fans would amount to the same as DC making Batman a balck man when the next retcon comes.
    The people looking forward to this most are the ones who are already fans. Changing such a large part of the character would alienate them and doom the series and possibly character too.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.