Follow

The Night of the Owls

Story arc »

A crossover spawning out of the pages of Scott Snyder's Batman, where the Court of Owls attacks Gotham City aiming to assassinate numerous key figures within the city, forcing all of Gotham's heroes to defend the city from the Court's attacks.

Batman's "Night of the Owls" Crossover Goes to the Old West

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Ever since Scott Snyder brought the idea of the Court of Owls to Gotham City, we've been seeing bits about their history. The Court has supposedly existed for over a Century yet Batman was certain there was no truth to that. He discovered their true nature the hard way.

With the upcoming Night of the Owls crossover in all the Bat-Family titles, it's not just today's heroes of Gotham that will be dealing with them. We'll also be seeing the Court's existence going back to the 1880s in the pages of ALL-STAR WESTERN.

No Caption Provided

Late last week, DC's The Source revealed some of the plans in how Jonah Hex will be dealing with the Court in his time period. ALL-STAR WESTERN co-writer, Justin Gray, said the following:

'Plans within plans.' That’s one of my favorite lines from Frank Herbert’s eco-sci-fi epic, Dune. It is also one of the hardest things to convey in a monthly comic where readers are often second-guessing the outcome or direction of a series. There is always a larger plan at work and things are never quite what they seem. Both Batman and Jonah Hex have been discovering this fact in their own unique ways. Having chosen Gotham City as the unlikely setting for ALL-STAR WESTERN, Jimmy and I thought long and hard about the different ways we could make the book interesting to both new readers and the Jonah Hex faithful. To do that we began our initial arc with the secret society called The Crime Bible trying to establish its roots in 1880’s Gotham. At the same time over in BATMAN, readers were introduced to The Court of Owls.

By now you know both organizations existed long before the caped crusader launched his one-man campaign to save the soul of a city. So starting in May, The Court of Owls, the Talon, the secret history of Gotham, Crime Bible, Jonah Hex and Amadeus Arkham…some of the most unlikely and surprising elements start falling seamlessly in to place. It has been months and months in the making, but the plans within plans are coming to fruition and even the most cynical fan has to admit this New 52 thing is pretty damn exciting.

If seeing the Court back in the 1880s wasn't enough, DC has also shownGreg Capullo's designs for a 'mid-Victorian' era Talon that will be a threat in the pages of BIRDS OF PREY during the crossover.

No Caption Provided

Capullo commented:

Now I’m thinking Jack the Ripper. Cloaks and lots of layers. A bird’s feathers are all layered. Perfect.

Guess we'll be finding out a little about the Court from the 1840s as well. This appears to be DC's first major crossover since the "New 52" started and it's shaping up to be one of the best we've seen in a while.

ThePRez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By ThePRez

looks great but why included hex

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

More crossovers are coming though for the Month of May from what I know. But yes this is probably the most significant crossover that the New 52 will have for that time. I'm truly fascinated by it now, and absolutely LOVE that cover to All-Star Western!

Sammo21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By Sammo21

@ThePRez: Because he is in Gotham at the time the Court of Owls were shaping Gotham.

I am pretty excited for this crossover. Looks like even Jason Todd will be helping to fight against the owls. I guess this is DCs first real cross over event since New 52 launched as it crosses over into any title involving Gotham City and the "Bat family".

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#4  Edited By MonkeyToe

Yep, I am definitely pumped for this one too. Batman's comic has been one of the best of all the New 52 titles and expanding on that story into a crossover event can only spell good things for some of the more mediocre books in the line-up.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#5  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @ThePRez said:

I guess it's an excuse to have him tied to the rest of the DCU. Some people find it off putting that Hex does not really impact anything except his own little pocket world and I would think DC are using this as a way round that.
    deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6  Edited By deadpool25mm

lol i knew this would be, since Hex is in Gotham.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#7  Edited By KidSupreme

thats soo cool

Michiel76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8  Edited By Michiel76

I just love how this is called a crossover, but when marvel does it it's suddenly an event (and then the hate begins)

Still i'm loving the new 52 and i'm looking forward to this "crossover"

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By feargalr

I can't frakking wait for the night of the owls...

HeroMuseum

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By HeroMuseum

Enjoying the whole Court of Owls crossover thing, looking forward to seeing how it all plays out. I'm sure (hoping) some remnant of them will still remain after they are inevitably beaten, so we can see them pop up again from time to time. Interesting villains with potential for future stories.

Ganthetsward20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Ganthetsward20

Has the series been leading up to this or will it feel like it was just shoved in?

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Meh, still not gonna read All Star Western, just not my cup o' tea.

chroinkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13  Edited By chroinkero

I probably won't read this anyway, but this looks awesome!

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#14  Edited By Herx

I've been enjoying this series, and the dynamic duo take with both Hex and Arkham. Cosidering that most of my other titles are falling into the owls crossover I'm actualy going to be looking forward to this as its actualy a plesent suprise that its happening with hex (and then you remeber that since this series has begun Hex has been in Gotham.... and trying to get out as soon as he possibly can).

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#15  Edited By The Impersonator

@ThePRez said:

because the owls have existed in his time period. =P

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By TheCheeseStabber

Man i so wanna read this and the Jonah Hex Talon looks femae

Jorgevy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Jorgevy

The most awesome thing is that after reading the first issues of All Star Western and Batman I thought to myself, "damn, I wish they included the Owls in the 19th century Gotham" and now THEY DID!!

MAUAHHAAHAHAHAHAHAHAH YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEES!!!

Love it! Will definitly read it!!

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#18  Edited By fACEmelter88

This, Aquaman, the Lantern books and I, Vampire are the best part of the New 52, I'm pretty damn excited about this I love Greg's style and Snyder actually got me back into reading Batman.

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By zackattack529

this is all great, but what i wanna know is will i have to buy all the bat titles to under stand night of the owls. because i only read 3 bat titles (batman, nightwing, and red hood)

i hope i can under stand the full story just by reading those 3 titles because im on a budget with comics this year :/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.