What exactly is the New 52?

#1 Posted by TheCannon (17955 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been trying to figure this out for months. If the New 52 in DC is not a reboot, what is it? I know that certain events, such as A Death in the Family and Identity Crisis are still part of the timeline, but there are many changes. I know I have heard it's not a reboot, but what the heck is it? someone help me out.

#2 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon: It's a revamp. They take some parts that work and keep it, and pluck out/changed the bits that don't.

#3 Posted by TheCannon (17955 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@TheCannon: It's a revamp. They take some parts that work and keep it, and pluck out/changed the bits that don't.

But shouldn't that be a reboot?

#4 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCannon said:

@primepower53 said:

A reboot is taking EVERYTHING away, and starting from scratch. A revamp mixes previous continuity with the new continuity and takes away what doesn't work.

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

It is a reboot for everyone but Batman and GL who got a revamp

#6 Posted by TheCannon (17955 posts) - - Show Bio

@primepower53 said:

@TheCannon said:

@primepower53 said:

A reboot is taking EVERYTHING away, and starting from scratch. A revamp mixes previous continuity with the new continuity and takes away what doesn't work.

Okay. I just got confused with the New 52. They'll do something like Crisis on Infinite Earths again in a few years and everything will change again.

#7 Posted by HotSauceCommittee (345 posts) - - Show Bio

Marketing

#8 Posted by TheCannon (17955 posts) - - Show Bio

@HotSauceCommittee said:

Marketing

Good point. Once it fails they'll do something like Crisis on Infinite Earths again to change everything.

#9 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Cynical Answer: It's the worst thing in comic history.  

Actual Answer: It's a franchise-wide dumbing down of all DC series, with a simplified canon and origin so that new and stupid readers can find their way with ease. 

#10 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Cynical Answer: It's the worst thing in comic history. Actual Answer: It's a franchise-wide dumbing down of all DC series, with a simplified canon and origin so that new and stupid readers can find their way with ease.

franchise-wide except for Batman and Green Lantern as mentioned above

#11 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

They called it a "soft relaunch". Events in the Batman and Green Lantern universe mostly still exist. Other character's universe have some to a lot of changes made. Some events in the DCU have changed and some have not.

I hate pessimism.

#12 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: They need new readers, if they don't get them this medium that we love will die and the fact is most people don't want to spend hundreds if not thousands of dollars to catch up on whats going on in a story. Like it or not this did improve sales a bit so in that respect it was completely needed

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek_the_lost said:

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Cynical Answer: It's the worst thing in comic history. Actual Answer: It's a franchise-wide dumbing down of all DC series, with a simplified canon and origin so that new and stupid readers can find their way with ease.

franchise-wide except for Batman and Green Lantern as mentioned above

Not true though. Batman was totally neutered. Infinite Crisis, RIP, Return of BW, have all been taken out of continuity.  The Court of Owls is RIP for morons. 

@joshmightbe: Temporarily improving sales at the cost of integrity and good storytelling is not the way to run a business. 
#14 Posted by The_Tree (7237 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

I'm 100% feeling this.

#15 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: Making money is the way to run a business, Warner Bros. doesn't care about DC's quality only it's profits so DC needed to do something drastic or risk the corporate goons coming in and turning it into something far worse than the reboot did

#16 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: The people who love the reboot have short attention spans, they'll stop buying the comics once a dog with a puffy tail runs past their window. Then the old readers, the ones who have been alienated but originally  were almost religious in their consistent patronage, will also be gone, and they'll be left with a smaller market share than before. 
#17 Posted by BlackArmor (6134 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

@joshmightbe: The people who love the reboot have short attention spans, they'll stop buying the comics once a dog with a puffy tail runs past their window. Then the old readers, the ones who have been alienated but originally were almost religious in their consistent patronage, will also be gone, and they'll be left with a smaller market share than before.

I have to disagree with most of this. Sure allot of people who jumped on to comics with the new 52 will jump right back off but a number even if insignificant will stay, add in fans from other comic companies who have proven over the years to not have short attention spans like Marvel fans who are just now getting into DC and you have a small fan base right there. Plus a large percent of old readers have found peace with the reboot and will continue reading. If anything DC breaks even but they could have gotten a larger following. I think DC got more new readers that will continue reading than they lost

#18 Posted by joshmightbe (24692 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt: You can't know that, there very well may be many people who love the New 52 every bit as much as you love the old universe. I understand your opinion and in fact to some degree I share it but that's not the point. The point is that from a purely business perspective the reboot made sense because as I said there's no way of knowing whether it will turn out to be a long run win or just a flash in the pan. It's risky and could very well blow up in their faces but they had to do something to increase readership.

#19 Posted by sinestro_GL (3066 posts) - - Show Bio

Money

#20 Posted by TDK_1997 (14471 posts) - - Show Bio

It's a reboot but not the kind of a reboot where everything has changed and such stuff.It has been pretty good though.

#21 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8901 posts) - - Show Bio

@joshmightbe said:

It is a reboot for everyone but Batman and GL who got a revamp

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.