Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

Trading the Three-Block for Dinosaurs

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz
    No Caption Provided
    The news today of the replacement of certain series was not surprising in one sense, but was in another.  In the not surprising way, I had expected a few of those series to fail for a while now and four of the ones on the cutting block were expected by me to go down and wasn't reading the other two (Statis Shock and Blackhawks.)  The surprising part was that DC already had six new series to fill the slots emptied by the others.  While I do think that the decision to cancel Men of War was the right one, as the main story in the book just wasn't accomplishing anything, I am sad to see it go in a way, and that is because of the more realistic backup story they were telling (granted this was only one story arc) focusing on a group of Navy SEALs.  I am not the most militant person alive, in fact far from, but war is a part of human society, so I did like this more realistic look on war, focusing on what in modern parlance is called the three block war.  With the apparent move to Dinosaur Island an aspect of the reality of the "war" series at DC is lost.  I understand that DC made a lot of its early popularity out of war series focusing on the Second World War, as the medium became popular in the period immediately after the war, and as real life heroes provided the inspiration for those ion comics.  As it moved into the silver age it began to get more fantastical in nature though, with a demand still for war stories, but with no new stories to tell.  This was when we got some of the weirder aspects of the war comics, things like the Creature Commandos or the now once again relevant Dinosaur Island.  These stories had little to do with the true impact of war though, and so it is hard to see this making a resurgence now.  Instead the modern war as we know will lay buried in the back pages of a canceled series.  
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Daveyo520

They mentioned a while ago, or in stories about the reboot that they had series waiting in the wing to replace ones that fail.

I don't know if the public is really clamoring for war comics at least ones that are not indies.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @Daveyo520: Thats what I was thinking too, but then DC have a plan for just one war comic?
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Daveyo520

@RazzaTazz: Probably. They brought that one out to test how it would do, it didn't do well and now they know.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Daveyo520

I don't know where else to put this right now.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

i really don't like war comics...just find them boring....dinosaurs won't help much

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By Daveyo520

@The Stegman: Are you only a fan of superhero comics?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#7  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

I was really enjoying Men of War and will be sad to see it go. Not sure if I liked it because I've just done a five year stint in the army or not.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Daveyo520: nope, i like plenty of non superhero comics, Y:The Last Man, Hack/Slash, and I Vampire are some of my favorites...i just don't like war comics, i've never found them particularly interesting....
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Daveyo520

@The Stegman: Just wondering. PS Y is amazing.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator
    @Daveyo520: Y just might be my favorite comic series of all time, seriously love it!
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Daveyo520

@The Stegman: I put it right after Watchmen.

Adnan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By Adnan

Granted, I've never had any real world experience of fighting on the frontlines, but I imagine that it's a scenario filled with a sense of tension and adrenaline.

I didn't feel either of those things at all when reading Men of War. Maybe it's just me though, I dunno. Vertigo has some Sgt. Rock stuff in their catalogue though, so theres that...I guess.

cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#13  Edited By cosmo111687

All joking aside from this morning, I honestly thought the same thing after hearing the announcement. I really dislike war and war comics (or, rather, comics that glorify war) and so I've always felt uneasy about Sgt. Rock. But I do like the concept behind it, blending the realities of war with the fantastic universe of DC Comics, because it has the potential to be insightful and interesting. But now they're going to Dinosaur Island. I'm not sure what the thinking is, really. Sgt. Rock and the Men of War was a classic DC title with name-recognition. I'm not sure how G. I. Combat (which sounds like a watered-down version of G. I. Joe) is going to fare. Maybe they're banking on the popularity of Terra Nova and Avatar to boost interest in it, like they did with Demon Knights and Game of Thrones?

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cosmo111687: Can we not put the joking aside?  I rather enjoyed it.   

True though, but I think G.I. Combat was the name of another old comic book series.  Hadn't considered a link to Avatar, but that is interesting that you mention that, I suppose it is a possibility as DC has been working to get all the genres represented (save for the super pet genre)
    cosmo111687

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 15

#15  Edited By cosmo111687

@RazzaTazz

It's too late. It's already been put aside. In fact, all joking is now put aside. That means you too,

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @cosmo111687: Youre not the boss here, this is my thread, I might not be able to import in jokes from other threads, but jokes which started here are under my supervision and they can continue to exist as long as they entertain  me.  To be honest though the dinosaur dance was only funny for about three seconds, so maybe you are right
    Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Daveyo520

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.