Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

The End of the End

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

Edited By RazzaTazz

For the second time in less than a year, DC Comics has given its readers a mass cancelation of titles.  The first of these occurred right before the new 52 reboot as every series was reset to issue number 1.  The second was the cancelation of 6 series after issue 8 of the new 52 to make way for the second wave of the new 52.  What differs between the two is the context of the cancelations.  The pre-new 52 cancelation hit every series, most of which had been running with a fair amount of steam, and which upset at least a few fans for the sudden disappearance of some of their favourites.  The pre-second wave cancelation does not have this going for it, in fact I am pretty sure most fans aren’t really bothered at all by the cancellations. 

The worst hit week I think is the first week of the month, with O.M.A.C., Hawk and Dove and Men of War all going to the collector bins, and so this week was the first which saw any wholesale loss of titles in the new 52.  I had been reading O.M.A.C., in fact I read the whole series as there was something about it which I found endearing, if not a little poor in quality.  I had also been reading Men of War and Hawk and Dove, but dropped them both when I heard they were being canceled (Men of War was overwhelmingly confusing for me, and Hawk and Dove was mostly just bad.)   Still seeing as they were on their last steps, I decided to return to Hawk and Dove to have a last look before their descent into obscurity.  Of the other series to go I only have to look forward to the end of Mister Terrific (and I am looking forward to it) but at one point I was reading 4 out of the 6 which are getting cut.  I guess my approach to these finals issues was a little biased in that I was expecting somewhat of the usual sense of a series that gets canceled in its infamy, namely that what the writer tries to fit the character and plot developments of about four years of issues into a single issue.  In that I was not surprised by O.M.A.C. but was with Hawk and Dove.  Both left off on a sort of more positive note, but Hawk and Dove didn’t feel like it was compacting the series as much as O.M.A.C. did.  It will be interesting to see how the others wrap up, if the writers try to cram or if they don’t, but it is a rarity to see it six times in one month.  

No Caption Provided
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By jrock85

I can't really say that I'm sad to see any of these titles get cancelled. I'm very nervous about Captain Atom, Voodoo, and Resurrection Man because I'm really enjoying them.

Artya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Artya

:

Yeah, I'm enjoying them also. It would be a shame. Still, iff Swamp and Animal are ok I can still have faith in comic book readers. And if a few Batman's get cancelled (Dark Kniiiight!!!) I'll be a happy camper. Camping.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3  Edited By BatteredArmor

@jrock85: I'm enjoying Resurrection Man as well, hope it doesn't get cancelled

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By jrock85

@Artya: I don't think you have to worry about Swamp Thing and Animal Man.

@BlackArmor said:

It wasn't on my pull list originally. I just picked it up out of curiosity and I've enjoyed every single issue, so far. Great blend of storytelling and action.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By BatteredArmor

@jrock85 said:

@BlackArmor said:

It wasn't on my pull list originally. I just picked it up out of curiosity and I've enjoyed every single issue, so far. Great blend of storytelling and action.

Yeah, had the first issue been as good as the rest of the series so far allot more people would be reading it, unfortunately it started weak and hasn't recovered it's audience. The book where he went to Arkham was amazing

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By jrock85

@BlackArmor: Issue #1 was a set up issue, and it wasn't exactly supposed to blow anyone's mind. I agree with you about the Arkham issue; it was probably my favorite one, so far.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By BatteredArmor

@jrock85: I agree that #1 wasn't bad but its the main reason I've heard people give for dropping the series

Imagine_Man15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Imagine_Man15

I don't mind this wave of cancellations. I desperately wish Mr. Terrific and Static Shock were better, because both titles had such incredible potential, but didn't fall into the right creative teams.

I fear for the next wave of cancellations though. I suspect the next victims will be Firestorm, Captain Atom, Resurrection Man and Voodoo. I'm still reading all but Captain Atom, although now I'm thinking of dropping Firestorm and picking Cap Atom back up again, as I hear it's gotten better. I really hope these don't get cancelled.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jrock85

@BlackArmor said:

@jrock85: I agree that #1 wasn't bad but its the main reason I've heard people give for dropping the series

Hopefully it'll pick back up with the upcoming crossover with the Suicide Squad.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By BatteredArmor

@jrock85: Yeah but I wish they weren't trading artist Dagnino got the art perfect

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By jrock85

@BlackArmor: Agreed.

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

@BlackArmor said:

@jrock85 said:

@BlackArmor said:

Yeah, had the first issue been as good as the rest of the series so far allot more people would be reading it, unfortunately it started weak and hasn't recovered it's audience. The book where he went to Arkham was amazing

Really? I thought the first issue was hands down the best, and it started to go downhill. I thought to Arkham issue was one of the weaker ones. They treated Arkham as any other mental asylum, they didn't go too far with it. The FOLLOWING issue I thought was much better, more like the first. I hope it doesn't get cancelled though, I really like the series.@Artya said:

:

Yeah, I'm enjoying them also. It would be a shame. Still, iff Swamp and Animal are ok I can still have faith in comic book readers. And if a few Batman's get cancelled (Dark Kniiiight!!!) I'll be a happy camper. Camping.

Unfortunately The Dark Knight definitely isn't up for cancellation. As much as it sucks (And BOY does it suck) it's selling well. Sigh.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By jrock85

@The Mighty Monarch: I can't say that I've been disappointed by any issue RM yet. I'm really looking forward to the crossover with the SS.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.