So far which of the New 52 is the best?

#1 Posted by Steps (663 posts) - - Show Bio

Out of those released so far which of the New 52 has surprised you the most? Which in your opinion is the best at the moment? I know it's quite early to ask this considering none of the story arcs have even finished but hey you take what you get. And if a thread like this has been done before I tried searching but I'm not good at searching so I would gladly just post on those topics.

Anyway so far I'd have to say my favorites are Batman, Batman and Robin, Batwing, Red Hood and the Outlaws and Aquaman. I loved the villains and the limited back story we have on Batman's newest enemies in both the Court of Owls and Nobody and they're both interesting enough for me to want to see more The Court and how they've managed to be away from Batmans radar since forever and Nobody's being someone who trained under Henry Ducard as well yet also having a more lethal sense of justice (I really like the villains that already know who Bats is, dunno why). Batwing on the other hand shines because of the art, I think if the art direction was different they might not be able to make Massacre and what he has done as intimidating as he is. As for Red Hood and the Outlaws I admit it was more of a last second like for me after seeing each members most cherished memories, it was fun to see that among present day characterization of these guys the one that I thought should be the most messed up is the one with the most "normal" cherished memory. Finally Aquaman, he shows he's a badass yet he still doesn't get the recognition he deserves from those who've witnessed his true abilities, from a geek's standpoint I feel bad for him and wish that these people would stop and look before judging Aquaman.

#2 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29886 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman.

#3 Posted by TheOptimist (740 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorites so far would have to be: Swamp Thing, Batwoman, Batman. Following those are Aquaman, Animal Man, Frankenstein and Demon Knights. Those are followed by a whole host of others, but those are the top tiers for me.

#4 Posted by RazzaTazz (11941 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, Grifter and Red Lanterns have been the best surprises thus far.  

#5 Posted by ragdollpurps (16846 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Demon Knights, Batwoman.

#6 Posted by ComicMan24 (147494 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, Demon Knights.

#7 Posted by Steps (663 posts) - - Show Bio

Guess I should buy Demon Knights now lol.

#8 Posted by Morpheus_ (29910 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:

Batman.

#9 Posted by Bemitri (12 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good one seems to be Animal Man, but I guess I can add Frankenstein and Swamp Thing to the "list". The rest are pretty generic comic book.

#10 Posted by Phaedrusgr (1701 posts) - - Show Bio

Snyder's Batman

#11 Posted by Adnan (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights and Wonder Woman. Birds of Prey has been really fun too, though I'm not looking forward to seeing Barbara on the team...hopefully Swierczynski makes it work.

#12 Posted by Afro_Warrior (1134 posts) - - Show Bio

@Steps said:

Guess I should buy Demon Knights now lol.

Yes. Yes you should :)

My best books so far would be Batman, Demon Knights and Wonder Woman

Most surprising: Batwing, Aquaman and Batwoman

#13 Posted by entropy_aegis (16119 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman and Action comics.

#14 Posted by soccersss (561 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman

#15 Posted by tensor (6538 posts) - - Show Bio

Flash, Green lantern, JLA, Men of war

#16 Posted by chalkshark (1264 posts) - - Show Bio

There isn't a book on the stands, released by any comic company currently publishing titles today, that can touch Batwoman in regards to art. In all my many years of collecting comics, I've never seen more beautiful artwork. As far as the book that surprised me the most... hmm.... I would have to say .... yeah... O.M.A.C. Here was a comic I expected nothing from, & believed to be conceptually flawed from advance commentary, that turned out to be one of the most fun reads I've had in years. There's clearly immense love in Giffen's channelling of Kirby, & while the book reads like it was written in the 1970's, somehow, that seems to work. It's not perfect. O.M.A.C's complete lack of personality is actually a pretty big flaw, in my opinion, but I do enjoy reading it, & that is something I did not expect. I was very surprised at just how terrible Green Arrow was, but I get the impression that we're looking for positive responses in this thread. It's hard to say which has been the best book, overall. I like the art in several of the titles, but the writing hasn't always been on the same level. By the same measure, books like Animal Man & All Star Western are very well written but the art does nothing for them. I suppose Aquaman comes closest to being a good marriage of writing & art. So, I suppose I'll go with Aquaman.

#17 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (41682 posts) - - Show Bio
@chalkshark: I love Batwoman and the art is amazing but there is better out there, it's not the be all and end all of art. 

I'm surprised some people are saying Frankenstein, I got bad reviews when it came out so I never bothered after the first issue.
#18 Posted by _Zombie_ (10551 posts) - - Show Bio

Favorite? Swamp-Thing, with Animal Man in a close second.

#19 Posted by Mighty Thorion (918 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Batman the Dark Knight, Justice League, Action and Batgirl are my current faves - not necessarily in that order

#20 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (10502 posts) - - Show Bio

I made a video about this about a week ago. So, I will post that. My top 5 are in the video:

Loading Video...
#21 Posted by Larkin1388 (1826 posts) - - Show Bio

I can't put down the new Aquaman. I'm starting to get into the Flash.

#22 Posted by ThexX (1613 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hood and The Outlaws, Deathstroke, Batman, Batman and Robin, Stormwatch, Grifter, & Voodoo

#23 Posted by John Valentine (16426 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is my personal favourite.

#24 Posted by ReVamp (23014 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Nightwing and Batgirl.

Aquaman and Teen Titans too.

#25 Edited by The_Tree (8605 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Grifter, Swamp Thing, Action Comics, Justice League Dark, The Flash, Teen Titans, Animal Man, and Aquaman are my favorites.

#26 Posted by GuruOfFunk (459 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman, Batman, and Animal Man. I also like All-Star Western.

#27 Posted by Saren (27187 posts) - - Show Bio

Batwoman.

#28 Posted by TDK_1997 (16103 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman is the best one.It has great mystery and this is a work from Scott Snyder.

#29 Posted by RainEffect (3376 posts) - - Show Bio

Scott Snyder's Batman. Each and every issue makes me smile more and more.

#30 Posted by super_psycho (2844 posts) - - Show Bio
  1. Batman
#31 Posted by Steps (663 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh Batman what would DC be without you and your family.

#32 Posted by Saren (27187 posts) - - Show Bio

In no particular order: Batman, Batwoman, Animal Man, Swamp Thing, Voodoo, Action Comics, Green Lantern, New Guardians, Catwoman, Wonder Woman.

Out of these, my personal favorite is Batwoman.

#33 Posted by daredevil21134 (14468 posts) - - Show Bio

Red Hood & The Outlaws,Batwing

#34 Posted by The Stegman (29948 posts) - - Show Bio

well i think we an conclude from the VARIOUS number of answers on this thread, that they are all good in their own way, depending on personal preference...except for Mr.Terrific...that title just sucks

#35 Edited by higher_evolutionary (2128 posts) - - Show Bio

glad to see so many different opinions, which means dc has succeeded in attracting many different tastes

@The Stegman said:

well i think we an conclude from the VARIOUS number of answers on this thread, that they are all good in their own way, depending on personal preference...except for Mr.Terrific...that title just sucks

agreed with a unanimous decision
#36 Posted by Jnr6Lil (8511 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe JLA

#37 Posted by TheThe (1819 posts) - - Show Bio

The Shape and Resurrection Man.

#38 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (10848 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say mu favorites are Animal Man, Batman, and Nightwing. I'm loving these books.
also Teen titans and batgirl are good also

#39 Posted by Duke_Nasty (1021 posts) - - Show Bio

Batman, Nightwing and Swamp Thing. Aquaman and Batwing are alright.

#40 Posted by Manwhohaseverything (2453 posts) - - Show Bio

Favorite-Batman 

Biggest surprise- Wonder Woman  

Biggest surprise (in a negative way)- Detective.  

Under-rated - Batgirl 

All in all, I think the New 52 has been done very well, and was a good move by DC, even with the sprinkling of bad titles.

#41 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (8360 posts) - - Show Bio

Only been following Batwing but still getting and thoroughly enjoying it

#42 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4287 posts) - - Show Bio

Stormwatch, Animal Man, Red Lanterns.

#43 Posted by ShrimpDino (886 posts) - - Show Bio

My favorite's are Dial H,Green Lantern,Flash,Green Lantern New Guardians,and Aquaman

#44 Posted by DoomDoomDoom (4287 posts) - - Show Bio

@ShrimpDino said:

My favorite's are Dial H,Green Lantern,Flash,Green Lantern New Guardians,and Aquaman

Totally forgot about Dial H, that title has blown me away in two issues quicker than anything else has, I've yet to really fathom what my obsession with it is.

#45 Posted by Adnan (1042 posts) - - Show Bio

Demon Knights, Swamp Thing, and Dial H are my faves. Frankenstein is a guilty pleasure (enjoyed Kindt's first issue on it as well. Less monster mash-y more sci-fi, might be cool!)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.