Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

Off YOUR Mind: Is There a Need for More 'YEAR ONE' Books in the New 52?

• 76 results
    Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#51  Edited By Zeeguy91
    @TheMess1428 said:

Batgirl #0 showed that Barbara was never Oracle. Bruce was only gone for 4 years, not 10. Batman and Green Lantern were only operating for 1 year before the Justice League formed. Superman was there for only 6 months. Flash was only around for a couple months. Aquaman had never come up from Atlantis besides during his Others missions. And Wonder Woman and Cyborg started their careers during the Justice League formation.

DC has already explained all of this.

Eh. Honestly I think its kind of lame that Batgirl was never Oracle. I always liked that. Overall, although I like the New 52. I'd say that my main complaint is that there is no clear picture of how much of the old DC continuity still happened. We've seen references to everything from Blackest Night and Brightest Day to Death of Superman, Death in the Family, Final Crisis, Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, etc. Some of which is contradicted by other titles. DC just needs to get in a room and decide what they're keeping and what they're chucking. I honestly think it'd be great if there was a time jump after Trinity War, which would provide for a time period for some of those stories to take place, and then if DC stated that some of the New 52 titles took place after that time jump...Its an idea. 

But, hey, I would rather have consistent titles without the old continuity than making everything confusing in order to pander to old fans.
    Wolverine0628

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 6

#52  Edited By Wolverine0628
    darth_jones

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53  Edited By darth_jones

I assumed the 0 issues were in lue of year one. I would like to see a full fledged origin series focusing on the Flash and Wonder Woman.

FanofUltraman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By FanofUltraman

Is there a need for more Earth-1 books?

onlineatron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55  Edited By onlineatron

I'm new to comics, so my opinion is basically moot, however, here it is: Why the constant dwelling on what may or may not have happened? The NEW 52 were called "new" for a reason. Can't we just enjoy the stories that are happening now?

Not sure how knowing if Tim Drake was ever a Robin impacts on Scott Synder's awesome Court of Owls arch, etc etc.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

#56  Edited By TheMess1428

@Zeeguy91 said:

Eh. Honestly I think its kind of lame that Batgirl was never Oracle. I always liked that. Overall, although I like the New 52. I'd say that my main complaint is that there is no clear picture of how much of the old DC continuity still happened. We've seen references to everything from Blackest Night and Brightest Day to Death of Superman, Death in the Family, Final Crisis, Wolfman/Perez New Teen Titans, etc. Some of which is contradicted by other titles. DC just needs to get in a room and decide what they're keeping and what they're chucking. I honestly think it'd be great if there was a time jump after Trinity War, which would provide for a time period for some of those stories to take place, and then if DC stated that some of the New 52 titles took place after that time jump...Its an idea. But, hey, I would rather have consistent titles without the old continuity than making everything confusing in order to pander to old fans.

The thing about that time jump is it would never explain the de-aging of characters and why Damian Wayne is only 11 years old.

cborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#57  Edited By cborg

I don't know why they did the reboot this way. For us old fans it's a guessing game of what did and didn't happen to understand the relationships, for the new fans the old continuity is a complete unknown but referenced enough or built on enough to confuse many. I found the "one year later" experiment a frustrating experience. I thought if they wanted a fresh start with easy jumping on points, go ultimate marvel style, start from scratch.

Grey56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 5

#58  Edited By Grey56

No.

Maxman3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59  Edited By Maxman3

There is one consistent point among comic writers. Practically none of them like having to deal with cannon. They like telling stories. If writers are going to be pressured by editorial to do stories purely based on having to retecon content odds are that content won't be all that great. If they feel the time period makes for stories that interest them, then hey all power to them. But otherwise i rather see writers telling stories that they want to do.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60  Edited By britsera

I would like to see DC publish a list. They could even post it online and update it as things are reconned, etc.

"DC's GUIDE TO THE NEW 52:"

Comics that are considered canon: (list comics, "Detect xxx - yyy")

Comics considered cannon except for minor changes: (fake example, but something like "Bruce Wayne's parents die when he is 7, not 10")

Comics that are no longer canon: (list comics)

Comics that are canon, but not in present continuity: (Elseworlds, etc)

Then everybody would have a stable reference, and we can go back to focusing on good storytelling, and stop being distracted by things that may or may not have happened. How easy would it be to get into comics if you knew what counted and what did not? Super easy, imho.

This sort of disorganization is keeping the n52 from being amazing (and it does have the potential...)

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#61  Edited By SmashBrawler

@britsera: That sounds like a really cool idea. The problem? They would probably contradict the whole list in 3 months.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#62  Edited By MuyJingo

@TheMess1428 said:

Before the New 52, Dick was only Bruce's ward. Not his adopted son. So nothing here has changed. Only Tim and Cassandra were adopted.

I'm not really clear on the difference. What I know is that Pre 52 Dick lived with Bruce and was raised and treated like a son. In the New 52 he just trains for a bit and becomes Robin. I don't see how there could be the same emotional attachment.

britsera

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#63  Edited By britsera

@SmashBrawler said:

@britsera: That sounds like a really cool idea. The problem? They would probably contradict the whole list in 3 months.

Yep, probably (hence the need to edit it on a week to week basis). They rushed the reboot too quickly, imho, things like this need to be planned meticulously.

BalooMamalu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#64  Edited By BalooMamalu

@SoA: I like your idea. That's the first thing I thought of after reading the article.

I collect Dark Knight, Batman and Detective Comics: Batman and thought something similar to what G-Man said, about having at least one of the titles set in the past, maybe even one in the future. I'd be all for Detective and/or Action Comics becoming a showcase series with a concept like "Year One" or "What if?" or, "Earth__".

Cape_of_Steel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#65  Edited By Cape_of_Steel

The way I understood it was that these stories would tie into future storylines, like Batman #0's Red Hood Gang story would lead into the return of the Red Hood Gang in 2013. If they do these and just throw in flashback panels in some multi-issue arcs they tie into we probably wouldn't need more zeros. I do agree though that they did sort of pique our interest with the Dick Grayson Robin throw-back, and implied there are more interesting and untold stories to be done there. Maybe they should have a spin-off Robin book again like they did with Tim :P

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#66  Edited By SoA

@BalooMamalu: i do miss elseworlds series

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#67  Edited By TheMess1428

@MuyJingo said:

@TheMess1428 said:

Before the New 52, Dick was only Bruce's ward. Not his adopted son. So nothing here has changed. Only Tim and Cassandra were adopted.

I'm not really clear on the difference. What I know is that Pre 52 Dick lived with Bruce and was raised and treated like a son. In the New 52 he just trains for a bit and becomes Robin. I don't see how there could be the same emotional attachment.

Well the difference between being adopted as one's ward and adopted as one's son is when you adopt someone as your ward, you are just their mentor and are allowed to take care of him and when you adopt someone as your son, you become their actual parent and may call you "Dad' if they wish.

As for the emotional attachment between Bruce and Dick, it has been seen on more than one level. Father/son as most would like to see or brothers. There have been a few concepts where it could be seen that Bruce treated Dick like younger brother instead of a son because they were only around 8 years apart in age. But I see what you mean on the lack of emotion. We didn't get to see too much into because they rushed a time period into one single issue. There were so many years he worked with him as Nightwing and took over as Batman. So there had to be some attachment at some point.

BatClaw89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68  Edited By BatClaw89
    @MuyJingo: where was it stated that " Bruce's mother is now a Kane, meaning he is related to Batwoman"????
    clemj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#69  Edited By clemj

with the N52 timeline and the 5 years stuff, these books are needed, but I think we must keep to the iconic characters, and not the rest

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70  Edited By Funrush

Yes.

We really need more Dick Grayson stuff. And Starfire. And basically everybody from the New Teen Titans.

Hal Jordan

John Stewart

Kyle Rayner (is that covered in Guardians?)

The Earth 2 Trinity

Did they tell the death of Jason Todd in Outlaws?

More Tim Drake

JL's first encounter with Amazo.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#71  Edited By jrock85

@BoyWander said:

WHERE THE HECK IS WALLY WEST?!? That is what I would like to see answered.

Me too.

Alton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72  Edited By Alton

@Twentyfive said:

Yes. My favorite characters for Year One titles:

Atom (either one)

John Stewart

Flash of course

Green Arrow

Cyborg

Static (Could start from the Big Bang, and work their way to the eventual relocation to New York City)

That's all I have for now.

Trades shedding light on the characters' new origins in the new continuity. Great idea.

I believe Green Arrow Year 1 was already done by Andy Diggle and is the basis for the island portions of TV's Arrow,but I assume you mean NuDCU continuity.In a way it has been partly covered in the Flashpoint 1 shot so I would rather see an Atom Year One new continuity first. Cyborg would be my next choice and I would rather see a captured by Borg like aliens storyline and escaping them at some point or rebuilding himself after some catastrophic injury similar to the original origin but with tweeks.Forget about Static for now. The character has a curse on it and keeps getting the shaft creatively and editorialwise and the fans aren't supporting Milestone at all.The real problem for Milestone is that it needs to be in the hands of Image or Dynamite.

Twentyfive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#73  Edited By Twentyfive

@Alton: If only, man. I think it needs to be it's own thing again. It sucks that we will likely not see those characters again. And thanks for the GA info.

ThanosIsMad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74  Edited By ThanosIsMad

If they want to do zero issues or year one books, they should be independent of everything else and exist as a mini-series. No need to block the progress of a book with a random prequel issue or hog up good space of DC's "only 52 books" mandate with something that takes place entirely in the past.

Or in another universe, for that matter. Earth 2 is great, but it shouldn't take the place of something that's featured in the main universe.

Herx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 1

#75  Edited By Herx

Honestly I'd just want DC to look to the future of their characters and not back to their pasts. There have been many, MANY outbursts by fans who say how DC have changed things so much that characters no longer resemble their lovable pre-52 counterparts or how DC have favoured a character not used for numpties years to become a the current hero of one title rather than the modern version who modern fans are more aware of (I myself am one of thoes many). The problem that i see, esspecially with the new-52 is that their trying to change so much of their history that they're forgetting that the focus of the new-52 was to look forwards and not backwards. Sure we'd some day love to see some history of a character show, but the entire zero issue month just over killed it. I mean so far out of the zero issues i've enjoyed justice League because it's actually continuing the SHAZAM story and not looking back at the history of black adam.

We as fans have argued so much about how this-that or the other fits into the past that we just want stories to contieue forward without having to worry the past. No more issues or storylines that look back at the past. or at least not for a while, untill after they've left this new universe mature some more (12 issues is not enough to declare it the right point).

Avatar image for dantetheredknight
    DanteTheRedKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

I totally agree with what you're saying here!

Detective Comics should be sharing stories of Batman or Gotham's past- that's what I thought a year ago when the series was rebooted but turned out to be wrong, and then I figured The Dark Knight was going to provide stories of Batman's past but that was wrong too.

YES! We need another YEAR ONE series ESPECIALLY for Teen Titans! I want to read stories about the original sidekicks. I read somewhere that Red Hood And the Outlaws was going to do that, but really didn't. I don't want Donna Troy to make her debut in Earth-2, because her place should be next to Wally West and Kyle Rayner not Jay Garrick and Alan Scott.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.