Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

Is there anyone willing that the new 52 crap comes to an end? I tried to read it, but its all different, confusing, a mess... I wonder, what comes next...

• 50 results
    BlackPookie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By BlackPookie

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#2  Edited By tensor

no time soon

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#3  Edited By Magian

There are good titles in the new 52. It is going rather well so far, so I don't things going back to the way they were anytime soon.

Avatar image for victoriancuckoo
    victoriancuckoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5  Edited By victoriancuckoo

I enjoy it, gives me something to start on, as a lot of the characters I'm familiar with I haven't necessarily known where and when to jump into a title.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#6  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Well since you dont like it, it must be cancelled to fit your needs.

fodigg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#7  Edited By fodigg

IMO the DCnU is no better or worse than the old DCU but by shaking things up they are selling more comics and getting more readers and that is a great thing for the industry. So I retroactively support their decision to reboot.

Mayo88m

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Mayo88m

Yeah, there is nothing wrong with the DCnU... More subscribers, more selection, more stream-lined histories, same day digital.... Hmm, that is soooo horrible they must end it now!!! -.- I want whatever drugs you're on.

Avatar image for hydrabob--defunct
    hydrabob--defunct

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#9  Edited By hydrabob--defunct

I'm enjoying it. Let's me get into characters I've liked, but never knew where I should jump on at.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Billy Batson

the longest thread name ever
    BB

PSB_Vam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By PSB_Vam

I always wanted to read comics but I could never get into them cause I didn't know where to start and I knew I was going to miss out on stuff if I started reading a series that was like 100+ comics in.

Bought my very first comic with Action Comics and as a newly converted I'm enjoying the the rest of the New 52 as well.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14  Edited By Afro_Warrior

I'm enjoying the New52. Sure their are individual instances where i think DC dropped the ball (Wally West anyone) but all in all its a positive step. I'm buying comics on a regular basis for the first time and their are some quality titles being produced.

Good work DC.

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By InnerVenom123

Snyder's Batman.

Your argument is invalid.

Daveyo520

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Daveyo520

lol

Rise2Ragnarok

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Rise2Ragnarok

Yeah so far id have to agree that it's enjoyable. Since they relaunched I picked up a few extra titles as well so I guess whatever they are doing is working. My only real complaint is the lack of a few of my favorite characters, but I'm hoping they'll show up sometime soon.

nnotdead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By nnotdead

i'm reading mostly DC books now, before New 52 i only read a few Bat books.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19  Edited By BatteredArmor

I love it but i'm not IN love with it you know? I say give it a try and a long try at that but if things don't work out it was not meant to be

azza04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By azza04

Their are a few bomb titles, but the majority are certainly no worse than what we had previously.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#22  Edited By Mercy_

I love the New 52. There are a few okay books and a few terrible ones (Hawk and Dove, I'm looking at you), but overall it's pretty freaking awesome.

duchess

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#23  Edited By duchess

@The Dark Huntress said:

I love the New 52. There are a few okay books and a few terrible ones (Hawk and Dove, I'm looking at you), but overall it's pretty freaking awesome.

Agreed. From what I've read at least.

Gambit1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#24  Edited By Gambit1024

@spiderbat87 said:

Well since you dont like it, it must be cancelled to fit your needs.

lol

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Video_Martian

DC's New 52 has been great so far.

Larkin1388

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By Larkin1388

I love the New 52. I never really like DC before this, now i can read DC and enjoy it.

Yumulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Yumulu

I could understand that you don't like the new 52 but how can you find it confusing? It not even a year long of publications.

The Poet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

User Lists: 99

#28  Edited By The Poet  Moderator

Uh, you do know this is not the first time DC has rebooted its universe, right?

I mean, this is the 3rd time (unless you count those smaller events) they've rewrote the universe...they're just moving us back to the silver age (when the did the first reboot by sending Jay Garrick and the other golden age heroes minus the really supermembers of the universe into another universe).

Sure, they rewrote some details and made the universe new, but why exactly are you complaining? I am just curious...why do you want it to end? and what do you discribe it as (to use your words not mine) "crap"?

I know some people have pointed out that there are some wrinkles in the fabric of the DC universe, but I'm sure in time we can iron them out...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#29  Edited By chalkshark

Honestly, not as much has changed as people think. DC is screaming at the top of their lungs to point out the changes, so that everything seems shiny & new. They're silent as monks, though, regarding the titles that didn't change at all.  Green Lantern, Green Lantern Corps, Batwing, Batwoman, Legion of Super Heroes, Legion Lost, I, Vampire, Animal Man, DC Comics Presents... DeadMan, Shade, Aquaman are all continuing previous continuity. Those are just the books I'm reading. From reviews & commentary I've read, it sounds  like Batman, Detective Comics, Batman & Robin, & Static have also, largely, escaped the brush of change. The only reason books like Animal Man & I,Vampire come across as "new" is because the current generation of readers don't remember, or likely never read, the previous series featuring those characters. I don't detect any change at all in those characters, or their titles. 

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By RainEffect
    @Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BB

Okay, I have to ask. I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm not trying to troll - but I will be honest and say I find it irritating, as you deserve honesty. 

What makes you think it is necessary that you need to post in a unique way to other people? I get that you like to think it is your schtick, but really, you post one word - a simple 'lol' - and you feel the need to sign it off with your initials and Heading 3? Like, I literally cannot fathom why you do it? 

Is it out of some need to be noticed?
    Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Billy Batson

@RainEffect said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BB

Okay, I have to ask. I'm not trying to start an argument, and I'm not trying to troll - but I will be honest and say I find it irritating, as you deserve honesty.

What makes you think it is necessary that you need to post in a unique way to other people? I get that you like to think it is your schtick, but really, you post one word - a simple 'lol' - and you feel the need to sign it off with your initials and Heading 3? Like, I literally cannot fathom why you do it? Is it out of some need to be noticed?
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

BB

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By InnerVenom123

@RainEffect said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BB

What makes you think it is necessary that you need to post in a unique way to other people? I get that you like to think it is your schtick, but really, you post one word - a simple 'lol' - and you feel the need to sign it off with your initials and Heading 3? Like, I literally cannot fathom why you do it? Is it out of some need to be noticed?

Why do you put italics for emphasis? Like, I literally cannot fathom why you do it. Is it out of some need to be noticed? =P

RainEffect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#33  Edited By RainEffect
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@RainEffect said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BB

Why do you put italics for emphasis? Like, I literally cannot fathom why you do it. Is it out of some need to be noticed? =P

Shush you. :P

@Billy Batson
    Don't be a smart ass, just answer the question. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, and I mean literally ask yourself, why you do it? If not, ask yourself now, then give me an answer. Seriously, I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to understand why you do it.
    Primmaster64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Primmaster64

If you don't like it...You could try to read other comics...

Sir_Deadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Sir_Deadpool

@RainEffect said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@RainEffect said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BBi

@Billy Batson: Don't be a smart ass, just answer the question. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, and I mean literally ask yourself, why you do it? If not, ask yourself now, then give me an answer. Seriously, I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to understand why you do it.

i guess it is because he always does it. this is vintage billy batson. if you had something like this you would do it at all lengths of sentences or even on one word answers. you say you do not want to argue but you do some kind of :P just leave him alone with his BB

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Billy Batson

@RainEffect:

I simply do it because I can.
    BB

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By BatteredArmor

@Billy Batson said:

@RainEffect:

I simply do it because I can.
    BB

The only reason for anything anyone has ever done ever

Zdaybreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By Zdaybreak

Anyone who wants to end the new 52 will have to deal with this angry fangirl first. I'm enjoying Red Hood and the Outlaws far too much to let it come to an end anytime soon.

However, I do want Cass Cain and Wally's family back.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#39  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @RainEffect said:
    @InnerVenom123 said:

@RainEffect said:

@Billy Batson said:

LOL
    BB

@Billy Batson: Don't be a smart ass, just answer the question. Have you ever stopped to ask yourself, and I mean literally ask yourself, why you do it? If not, ask yourself now, then give me an answer. Seriously, I'm not trying to troll, I'm trying to understand why you do it.
    Your acting like this seriously offends you?
    monarch2016

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By monarch2016

what the hell can you espect from a marvel fanboy?

Cavalier1645

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Cavalier1645

I wouldn't call it all crap. While the new DCU has left confused because of all the changes, there are some story lines i rather enjoy (Justice League Dark, Green Lantern foe example). Unfortunatly alot of the titles and characters i use to collect and love i have to stop collecting and adopted an attitude of "look, wait and see" when it comes with most of DC.

For the record im not a supporter of the new DCU relaunch. I think there reasons where flawed and unnecessary.

splittmark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By splittmark

im only buying a few new 52 comics. im weary that they may go back to old, DC can pull a BB

digital comics: We switched back to the original because we can

Broadsword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Broadsword

I'm a long time DC comics fan, and I feel that DC threw away most of what was unique and interesting about their line in this reboot. I loved the history of the characters, years of relevant back story, and legacies some of the characters carried. Not all of the new books are duds, to be sure...far from it...but I find that I'm just not as interested now as I was before. I feel like most of the stories have been skewed younger as well. Improved sales are wonderful, but I mourn what was given up ( a long beautiful tapestry of heroism, mature stories, a sense of progress, and the many obscure characters populating this once rich and diverse fictional universe) to get here.

addikhabbo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love it! Not all of us know the Dc history. The reboot gives the new guys a chance to make out what Dc history is.

CrazyScarecrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 27

#45  Edited By CrazyScarecrow

I have been a DC fan for about 3 to 4 years before the reboot (always back issues though) and New 52 got me buying the new comics and even subscribing to the comics I read (Batman, Nightwing, The Flash, Wonder Woman, and Batgirl). Despite me being disappointed with them rebooting a universe I have grown to loved and ruining some characters, I am enjoying New 52. We'll always have back issues and we'll always have sites like Comic Vine or Wikipedia to learn of the characters fictional history and publication history if we wish (I know I love to research old comics and comic history). Anyway New 52 got me into new favorites like the Flash and Wonder Woman and even got me buying a Silver Age comic of the Flash and JLA to read more of Barry's Flash.

Also my art teacher (who is a huge DC fan pre-Crisis on Infinite Earth's) told me that DC has to make these changes every 20 years or so, so the younger generation can one day tell their kids or grandkids about how DC was different when were a kid and teach them of the DC past. So there is one way of looking a the New 52.

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It had potential that has never really realized. It was the perfect opportunity to Marvelize DC and by that I mean have a better cohesive universe.

Raw_Material

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 9

#47  Edited By Raw_Material

What's next? The New 53, dun dun dunnnn!

Anya

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was mostly familiar with the Pre-Crisis DCverse and Triangle-era Superman. When I decided to re-enter comics, it was the New 52 which - different tone aside - seems to have a lot more in common with the Pre-Crisis verse than it does with the Byrne and JMS 'You'll Believe a Man Can Walk' eras. So, for me at least, coming into the DCVerse in the New 52 was less confusing than if I had entered in Pre-Flashpoint or the late 1980s. Kryptonite has gone back to doing crazy things, and they even imported the 'Kryptonian Dragon' from an old Superman/Supergirl story where he was transformed by Red Kryptonite.

I was following about half of the titles before, but I've cut back to the Superman titles, the main GL book and the JL/JLA stories. I found some of it initially confusing but when I realised it was made for TPB these days I stopped picking it up by month. If you read the story arcs all at once they're a lot easier to follow.

I thought Superman (the main title) had a rough start but I am pleasantly surprised by Lobdell and blown away by Rocafort's pencils in the book.

As regards the Martin Manhunter, I don't think DC has been Marvelized so much as science fictioned up. 'The Marvel Style' to me means soap operatic characters and a lot of drama, and that hasn't been especially pervasive in the New 52.

The Marvelverse isn't always that cohesive - Thor's own books are often written like they're in a different Universe, as Batman's books are - the Avengers Thor and the Justice League Batman are similar but clearly don't live in the same technical/metaphysical plane, otherwise Batman would have no excuse for not wielding godlike Supertech and Thor would be able to solo 90% of all villains and teams. The 'shared Universe' is nearly always an illusion (for example, crime was virtually eliminated in the Earth One Superman books, yet was a serious problem in the Green Arrow books). We pretend for the sake of the team-books that they exist in the same world, but their own titles are never consistent with the worlds presented in the team books.

Sefirosu200x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

what it is awesome. i haven't been able to read comics before now due to continuity lockout but new 52 fixes that. everything i have read so far is high quality. sorry for lack of capitals, my phone doesn't seem to like comic vine lol

Sefirosu200x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Sefirosu200x

what it is awesome. i haven't been able to read comics before now due to continuity lockout but new 52 fixes that. everything i have read so far is high quality. sorry for lack of capitals, my phone doesn't seem to like comic vine lol

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.