Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

DC Comics September Solicits Confirm Canceled Titles [Update]

• 190 results
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 8

#101  Edited By jrock85

This is really disheartening. Three well thought out, character driven stories are being cancelled while pure, unadulterated garbage like AvX is flying off the shelves.

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#102  Edited By LordRequiem

Captain Atom's a cool character, they must have changed him too much.

chrisburgess99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#103  Edited By chrisburgess99

JlI was just strting to go somewhere. Green Arrow, Flash, Blue Beetle, and Firestorm need to go. The only titles I read and like from the Justice League imprint are Aquaman and Green Lantern. Some of the best writing is from Suicide Squad, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein, and Justice League dark. This last wave I only lost Justice League International. The internet had 12 titles to be cancelled, although only in waves. $ titles have now been cancelled and 8 more will be cancelled in wave 3 and 4. I am glad to see DC is putting all there characters out there so a buyer does not have to buy only caped heroes and the same heroes month in and out. DC has too large of a stable not give them there own titles, back up features, or cameos in other titles. The onlt drawback or criticism is having a storyline last 8-12 issues. It can work with Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The titles that were cancelled and I am batting 50/50 on the cancelled titles, took to long on there storyline. The cancelled could have easlily had 2 to 3 storyarcs when they had there curtain call.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By ObsideonDarman

@kagato: I am doing the exact same with DETECTIVE COMICS and SUPERMAN. The sad fact is that these will never be cancelled no matter how non enjoyable they are.

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By ObsideonDarman

@Nighthunter said:

@Green ankh said:
    I dont get why so many people dislike the Dark Knight book..i really enjoy it.
    because until recently it was the worst Batman book. With another four series featuring Batman I understand and support the idea that just maybe that spot could be given to another character like Cyborg, Steel, Atom, etc. When Hurwitz takes over I can predict the honor of worst batman series will fall to Detective Comics.

The worst Batman book? DETECTIVE COMICS is the worst Batman book first and foremost.

SpitfireINK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By SpitfireINK

D.C.'s new motto: - Perform or Get OUT of the WAY!

and honestly that just makes good sense all the way around - start telling the stories that want to be heard.

Its exactly what all the smaller independent companies have to deal with day-to-day. Good to see this happening with one of the Big 3.

Avatar image for mypasswordisnotpassword
    Mypasswordisnotpassword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@ObsideonDarman: Agreed Detective is so much worse than Dark Knight

Plus I don't want to see Red Lanterns get canceled it is easily in the top 5 books of the new 52 (for those curious I'm getting 23 books). Also why cancel JLI that was an alright book with good sales or well I'll just replace it with Talon.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

#108  Edited By longbowhunter

Never picked up any of these titles. I know there are plenty of people upset by Resurrection Man's cancellation. Never read it myself.

erik_norris

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109  Edited By erik_norris

@kagato: My rule of thumb is if you're enjoying a book, continue to buy it and don't let anyone tell you your wrong. But if you hate what you're spending money on, kick it to the curb. You'll be better for it, and the cream will rise to the top for ya.

humanfly26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 22

#110  Edited By humanfly26

bummer... i'm actually reading (and enjoying) Resurrection Man and JLI week-to-week...

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By mattwing87

@Twentyfive said:

With Voodoo gone (to no surprise, not even mine), Batwing is my one and only hope in the DCU. Some people already want it canceled, which IS a surprise to me, considering how good it is. I'm just waiting to see what happens, and I'll continue to support his book.

I was really happy that Batwing survived this wave! It's my 2nd favorite of the new 52! But I hope it can pick up sells before the next wave. It sold almost 35k issues last month but mainly because of the Night of the Owls tie in. Issue #10 was awesome though and didn't really need Nightwing in it.

Avatar image for thenexusrebound
    thenexusrebound

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By thenexusrebound

Not going to lie, I'm a bit cheesed at the fact Voodoo is getting the boot. It is finally starting to pick up speed finally and it is getting the ax. DC I swear to all things good I had better get a WILDC.A.Ts comic soon. Otherwise this phase out of Wildstorm will really suck if none of those characters get to be properly developed.

FelixStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By FelixStrange

Captain Atom was a great read in my opinion , I really enjoyed the struggle to maintain his humanity while in the face of godhood. Voodoo is no real surprise , the story was moving to slow. As for Resurrection Man I rather enjoyed his story and it was starting to pick up pace. I really hope they cancel Green Arrow or Legion of Super Heroes both titles are densely plotted and seem to go off in a tangent . Hopefully we might see Captain Marvel and The Spectre in their own books again soon or maybe Phantom Stranger will be a "Dark" title.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#114  Edited By Funrush

Captain Atom getting cancelled... expected.

Resurrection Man getting cancelled... somewhat surprising.

Voodoo's cancellation... less surprising than Resurrection Man but still surprising.

Looking through the solicits... looks like my wallet is going to have a heart attack since I only pick up, like 5 books a month and I'll probably get like twenty (spread out over a few months) because they look really awesome. I'm dropping Amazing Spider-Man in August after the 50th anniversary issue anyway (due to it's bi-weekly release schedule and it's $3.99 price point even though it's only 32 pages), so convenient timing.

@edge0076 said:

They need to just turn Batwing into a Batman International backup and replace it with a Red Robin series, already.

Yes.

ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#115  Edited By ClawFist

NO NOT VOODOO!!! I had high hopes for Voodoo. That just sucks.

Knight Train

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Knight Train

@kagato: exactly, those series aren't working, Resurrection Man, Voodoo and Captain Atom are working. Its stuff like this that makes me realize that its all about business not art...

difficlus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#117  Edited By difficlus

Ah men captain atom, i loved that stuff!!!

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118  Edited By bladewolf

Demon Knights didn't get cancelled! Other than that, I couldn't care less what comes and goes :)

MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#119  Edited By MatKrenz

Sucks that Resurrection Man is getting cancelled but Sword and Sorcery seems to be right up my alley. But the notion of Didio writing Phantom Stranger and exploring his origin is simply a bad idea. He's called the Phantom STRANGER for a region, this is like laying out exactly hos Wolvie started out as a kid, got his adamantium and getting into the X-Men.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 14

#120  Edited By the_tree

I predicted Captain Atom and Resurrection Man, and honestly, I read these titles for a bit and they failed to keep me interested. I am upset that we're going to lose Voodoo though, I'm really hoping that DC will eventually bring in a WildC.A.T.s book and include her in it.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By Funrush

@EpicMeltDown said:

I was curious what the sales numbers for these three series were. So I thought I would post what I found.

Resurrection Man 8 14,998

Captain Atom 8 11,701

JLI 8 30,396

And then by way of comparison:

Batman 8 130,602

The Walking Dead 96 36,931

These numbers are just for one month so I don't know what the trend was (I assume downward ;) ). And these numbers are just Diamond sales to comic shops (No digital). So my question is: What is the cut off for DC? if JLI is doing 30,000 copies why not let it stick around a while? If anyone has any incite on this I'm all ears.

Here is a link to where the numbers came from http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22842.html

You see, C.A., Voodoo, and Resurrection were cancelled due to lack of sales. JLI is cancelled due to some sort of story progression, most likely, and the annual ties in to the "shocking" events of JL12.

WildBeastBoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122  Edited By WildBeastBoy

NO! Not Voodoo!

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#123  Edited By DanialCarroll

I'm not sure how Grifter and Blue Beetle escaped the culling as they were both selling less than Resurrection Man. I know some people are sad that these titles are getting cancelled, but you should just be thankful that DC don't share Marvel's 20k cut-off or you'd be losing Legion of Super Heroes, Demon Knights, Batwing, Deathstroke, I Vampire, Hawkman, Legion Lost, Frankenstein, and Firestorm as well.

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#124  Edited By Zeeguy91

@kagato: With you on Dark Knight. I mean, do we really need another Batman book. He already has Detective, Batman and Robin, Batman Incorporated, and his own solo title. Like enough with the Batman. I'm only collecting the main book.

I too am also sad to see Captain Atom go. I was really liking it. Captain Atom was one of my favorite "second string" DC characters before this and Krul was letting me get to see a whole new side to him. Oh well, at least I can enjoy the rest of the run and I might get the tpb when it comes out. Anyway, is his own solo book is being cancelled, I want to see him utilized elsewhere in the DCU. Like, have him join some sort of team or something. He's such a great character to have in the DCU and I don't want him just in the ether somewhere.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1887

User Lists: 79

#125  Edited By RazzaTazz

Two of my favourites, too bad

Zeeguy91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#126  Edited By Zeeguy91

I just really hope that Blue Beetle continues to survive. I've really been liking that title and its the only Young Justice title that hasn't been disappointing me.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127  Edited By jrock85

@RazzaTazz said:

I can't even begin to tell you how incredibly frustrated I am.

Bobzenub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#128  Edited By Bobzenub

I was always on the edge about J.T. Krul in the past, but I thought he did a fairly good job on Captain Atom. Heck, it was probably my favourite comic book from the JL line's lower profile titles. Please, just don't kill the character off...

Voodoo only started to get interesting, even though the "sudden changes" in the supporting cast foreshadowed a story cut short. The new development with Priscilla and Voodoo not being one and the same person seemed quite unique, I hope they'll find their place in one of the team books (Ravagers maybe?)

Even though Resurrection Man's plot could come through as generic (former douchebag with amnesia finds himself being a hero combined with a running man theme), Dan Abnett writing is excellent here. The narrative, the dialogue, everything is perfect, just the overall story is not that engaging. He should be teamed up with someone who has more experience in plotting, laying down the pattern for an epic that Abnett could build up.

I still cannot wrap my head around what the f&ck is going on with JLI exactly. They said they'll just "rebrand" the title, while the basic idea of a multinational superhero team will remain. Now we have the same number of cancellations as new solicits, just like when they announced the second wave. What the hell will happen with Booster, Kevin Kho, the General after issue 12?! Are they seriously gonne push aside everything related to this title? Because I really cannot see how this many characters would fit in the remaining books. JL would become an unmanagable clusterf&ck, so as Ravagers, they are too old Teen Titans, etc.

Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Funrush

@Fuchsia_Nightingale said:

To be replace by 2 new Batman tittles

:P

One, just Talon.

@erik_norris said:

@kagato said:

I know its terrible to want a title to be cancelled, but i really want to see Red Lanterns or Dark Knight cancelled, im collecting both out of obligation rather than actual enjoyment, if they get canned i can pick up something new...

Stop that! If you aren't enjoying those books, don't continue to buy them just to avoid a hole in your collection. That's why books like Dark Knight are still around!

Yes.

@edge0076 said:

@rasx: Like I said before, I just don't care for either Winick or the concept of Batman, Inc. at all.

I love Winnick, hate Batman Inc.

@chrisburgess99 said:

JlI was just strting to go somewhere. Green Arrow, Flash, Blue Beetle, and Firestorm need to go. The only titles I read and like from the Justice League imprint are Aquaman and Green Lantern. Some of the best writing is from Suicide Squad, Swamp Thing, Animal Man, Frankenstein, and Justice League dark. This last wave I only lost Justice League International. The internet had 12 titles to be cancelled, although only in waves. $ titles have now been cancelled and 8 more will be cancelled in wave 3 and 4. I am glad to see DC is putting all there characters out there so a buyer does not have to buy only caped heroes and the same heroes month in and out. DC has too large of a stable not give them there own titles, back up features, or cameos in other titles. The onlt drawback or criticism is having a storyline last 8-12 issues. It can work with Swamp Thing and Animal Man. The titles that were cancelled and I am batting 50/50 on the cancelled titles, took to long on there storyline. The cancelled could have easlily had 2 to 3 storyarcs when they had there curtain call.

Why Flash? Btw, agree with you on Firestorm, and only Beetle and GA a little bit. GA just need a new creative team, IMO.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#130  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @jrock85 said:

@RazzaTazz said:

I can't even begin to tell you how incredibly frustrated I am.

I can't imagine they let either of them just disappear, you also liked RM right?
    jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#131  Edited By jrock85

@RazzaTazz: Yep, I liked all three of them.

EpicMeltDown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#132  Edited By EpicMeltDown

@Funrush said:

@EpicMeltDown said:

I was curious what the sales numbers for these three series were. So I thought I would post what I found.

Captain Atom 8 11,701

JLI 8 30,396

Batman 8 130,602

These numbers are just for one month so I don't know what the trend was (I assume downward ;) ). And these numbers are just Diamond sales to comic shops (No digital). So my question is: What is the cut off for DC? if JLI is doing 30,000 copies why not let it stick around a while? If anyone has any incite on this I'm all ears.

Here is a link to where the numbers came from http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22842.html

You see, C.A., Voodoo, and Resurrection were cancelled due to lack of sales. JLI is cancelled due to some sort of story progression, most likely, and the annual ties in to the "shocking" events of JL12.

So they canceled them due to lack of sales? Interesting. I guess my next question would be: I wonder what the cut off is for DC? In indy circles 10 to 15 thousand is still looked at as healthy. Certainly you have to look at it on a case by case basis.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By RazzaTazz
    @jrock85: I was actually reading JLI but only because I liked the gender distribution, it never really came around though
    Funrush

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#134  Edited By Funrush

@EpicMeltDown said:

@Funrush said:

@EpicMeltDown said:

Captain Atom 8 11,701

JLI 8 30,396

Batman 8 130,602

So they canceled them due to lack of sales? Interesting. I guess my next question would be: I wonder what the cut off is for DC? In indy circles 10 to 15 thousand is still looked at as healthy. Certainly you have to look at it on a case by case basis.

I assume so since IIRC C.A. is the worst selling DC title, and JLI isn't even in the top ten worst.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#135  Edited By jrock85

@RazzaTazz: I was reading JLI too. I didn't think it was great, but it wasn't unreadable either.

RazzaTazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#136  Edited By RazzaTazz

Oh so you lost four titles

GrandHarrier

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#137  Edited By GrandHarrier

@EpicMeltDown said:

@Funrush said:

Seems to be a book by book basis. Legion, for example, tends to be rather niche', so it is allowed to have lower sales and not really worry too much about being canceled. Rebooted, sure, but not canceled.

TheMess1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By TheMess1428

I still don't understand Batwoman getting a #0... And why these issues are getting #0 issues when JLI isn't? So for one month only, it's The New 55? Then goes back to The New 52 again in October?

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#139  Edited By SavageDragon

@Remi: I have hope for grifter. Issue 9 wasnt bad at all.

Zuckuss_02

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#140  Edited By Zuckuss_02

DC should just cancel all their garbage New 52 titles and go back to the real DCU they left behind.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#141  Edited By SavageDragon

Sorry to fans of the cancelled titles. That always sucks. The two titles of mine im worried about are Demon Knights and Grifter. Demon Knights is so cool if you like the genre and the charachters rock. But not a lot of people talk about it. Grifter on the other hand is getting smashed cause Liefeld took over. Honestly I was sad to see the old creative team go but honestly issue #9 was pretty decent. So i say give it a chance and dont jump to conclusions. Just hope DC feels the same.

VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By VanAce

I lost 2 titles. Captain Atom and Resurrection Man. I enjoyed both of these a lot but they were series that were not going to appeal to a large audience. At least where they stand they will have get 13 issues in total and be collected in 2 trades which may continue to find a cult following. Also The Shade will reach issue 12 of 12 so I will be losing a 3rd title.

As to how often should be cancelling titles and what titles they should be will depend on various things I guess. Titles under sales of 20k will always be those with the potential of being cancelled, especially if sales are not steady or the sales are steadily decreasing. Also DC mentioned at one stage the series with critical acclaim will be safer, hence why Hawk and Dove went instead of Captain Atom in the first wave of cancellations. Also Green Arrow is going to be safe for a while to come. DC are hoping they will get new readers from the TV show.

DC will be going in waves with new books and cancellations for a while to come as it creates a lot more talk if they cancel multiple titles instead just the one. And I believe that there will most likely 2 waves every year until they can 52 titles selling to their liking.

Delphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

User Lists: 18

#143  Edited By Delphic

Hate to see Voodoo go.

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

#144  Edited By Saren

I was pulling all three :/

Still, this will provide space for Talon, Team 7 and Phantom Stranger.

Ugbug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By Ugbug

Obviously the sales figures for a book are a major indicator of whether the book will stay or get replaced. But several people have pondered why some books sell fewer copies and stay. I would guess that pure sales figures don't tell anywhere near the full story. There is also advertising space sold in each book, and also the cost of paying the writer and artists.

It's possible that a book with 10,000 sales might actually make more money than a book with 20,000 sales if the creative team are cheaper, I have no idea.

Also it's possible that a big reason there are so many Batman titles is they probably sell advertising space not just by selling pages in individual titles. They probably also have more complicated advertising contracts where someone buys say a full page ad in a block of 10 (or more) titles, and they are guaranteed 2 of those will be in Batman books, 1 will be a Superman book, and the rest will be on random lower selling books, or something like that. If that's the case, then having Batman, Detective Comics, Batman and Robin, Dark Knight, and Batman Incorporated gives them extra blocks of advertising to sell and those ads that go into Dark Knight might actually be making a lower selling title profitable when it might otherwise not be.

Of course I am only guessing as to how it might work, I could be completely wrong.

thechessclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#146  Edited By thechessclub

@Necrotic_Lycanthrope said:

No! Not Resurrection Man! D: It was a pretty good DC comic (plus how can you not like a guy who mutates new powers seconds after he dies?)

That' it, I'm going to start getting Frankenstein: Agent of SHADE if Resurrection Man is truly ending its run.

Yeah. I'm with you on the Resurrection Man sadness...but you really should have been getting Frankenstein already anyhow=P

grifter78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 159

#147  Edited By grifter78

So long Voodoo :(

Here's to hoping we see you in a Wildcats book in the future.

On the plus side, Grifter survived another round of cancellations! :D

Avatar image for necrotic_lycanthrope
    Necrotic_Lycanthrope

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

@thechessclub:

I heard the series was a rip-off of Hellboy so I stayed away from it. Might get the volume when it gets out or something.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Haven't read a one of these but from what I have heard in reviews and other things I'm not surprised at a single one of these. Curious about what the fourth will be. And what shall the third wave be? Hmmm...

TheCrowbar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By TheCrowbar

How did Red Lanterns make it and not Voodoo?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.