DC Comics September Solicits Confirm Canceled Titles [Update]

• 191 results
Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

Last Friday DC revealed their plans for September's 'Zero' Month along with the fact that we will be seeing a third wave of New 52 titles. The four new titles means that four existing ones will be seeing their final issues. JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL was already revealed to be ending and with the official solicitations for September's titles posted at DC's blog, we now know the what else is saying goodbye.

CAPTAIN ATOM will see it's final issue with September's #0.

CAPTAIN ATOM #0

Written by J.T. KRUL
Art and cover by FREDDIE E. WILLIAMS II
On sale SEPTEMBER 19 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T • FINAL ISSUE
• Captain Nathaniel Adam volunteers for a dangerous experiment that will make him one of the most powerful heroes in the DC Universe!
• How much can man lose before he is no longer human?

RESURRECTION MAN #0

Written by DAN ABNETT and ANDY LANNING
Art by JESUS SAIZ
Cover by FRANCESCO FRANCAVILLA
On sale SEPTEMBER 12 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+ • FINAL ISSUE
• Mitch Shelley discovers the truth of his existence, and even the ability to return from the dead won’t save him!

What will be the fourth? Stay tuned and we'll find out as the rest of the solicits roll out.

Update

And the final issue is revealed. Sadly, it's time to say goodbye to VOODOO as well.

VOODOO #0

Written by JOSH WILLIAMSON
Art by SAMI BASRI
Cover by PAULO SIQUEIRA
On sale SEPTEMBER 26 • 32 pg, FC, $2.99 US • RATED T+ • FINAL ISSUE
• The truth about Pris is revealed at last as she sets off on a mission for vengeance that can only end in genocide!

This isn't necessarily the last we'll see of them as DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS #0 is giving us a look at some other characters who have had titles canceled.

Staff
#1 Posted by Dru_zod (210 posts) - - Show Bio

Atom................tis a shame

#2 Posted by TheWitchingHour (1340 posts) - - Show Bio

Bummer about Captain Atom. I enjoyed it. I never read Resurrection Man though. Did anybody like it?

#3 Posted by kagato (243 posts) - - Show Bio

I know its terrible to want a title to be cancelled, but i really want to see Red Lanterns or Dark Knight cancelled, im collecting both out of obligation rather than actual enjoyment, if they get canned i can pick up something new...

#4 Posted by SoA (4592 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheWitchingHour: i did captain atom was kinda dull for me , but its sad to see Resurrection Man go. that and jli

#5 Posted by EpicMeltDown (64 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't say that I'm too surprised by this.

#6 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

:/

Just when I thought about getting the Resurrection Man trade...DC shouldn't cancel so many titles...what they should do is stop giving Liefeld work.

#7 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

Now I'm sad... Resurrection Man was one of my favorite books to read each and every month.

#8 Posted by ReVamp (22859 posts) - - Show Bio

@Remi said:

:/

Just when I thought about getting the Resurrection Man trade...DC shouldn't cancel so many titles...what they should do is stop giving Liefeld work.

Yeah, it sucks about Resurrection Man.

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Kind of figured these two were going to get cancelled.

#10 Posted by kennybaese (1001 posts) - - Show Bio
@kagato What obligation do you have to the books? If you don't like them, stop buying them and buy something else.
#11 Posted by edge0076 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

They need to just turn Batwing into a Batman International backup and replace it with a Red Robin series, already.

#12 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (9783 posts) - - Show Bio

I enjoyed reading Cap Atom. The current storyline was a little weird, but it was a decent book.

#13 Posted by Dernman (13969 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm ok with both being gone. It's JLI that I'm still sad to see go.

#14 Posted by Omstar12 (2 posts) - - Show Bio

Why not cancel one of the unneeded Bat titles. Just not Batman.

#15 Edited by feargalr (1123 posts) - - Show Bio

I read like 5 or 6 issues of cap, I actually quite enjoyed it. It wasn't my favourite series, but still sad to see it go. I do quite like the idea of these series ending with the issue 0 though.

#16 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Okay, all my books are safe. phew. thats a close one.

#17 Posted by Bestostero (5611 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Atom i thought was really good....im a little bummed it didn't work out, it had some highs and lows i thought.

i hope to see Captain Atom, Vixen, Fire, etc injected into other titles soon!

#18 Posted by Wolverine0628 (398 posts) - - Show Bio

Not surprised.  I read the first issues of both of those titles, and can't say I was impressed.
#19 Posted by Mr. Kamikaze (511 posts) - - Show Bio

Awww. Resurrection Man was one of my favorites. That blows....I blame everyone. Shame on you!

Hope the 4th is Red Lanterns....book is going nowhere.

#20 Posted by RavenVice01 (154 posts) - - Show Bio

Sorry to say but I am kinda glad that Captain Atom is getting cancelled. Is was getting way too 2001 Space Odyssey. I also heard Suicide Squad, Deathstroke, and Blue Beetle might be cancelled. I hope Deathstroke gets cancelled because his development as a lone assassin in his own series is starting to get boring. Deathstroke is a great villain but all he has been doing is facing off against petty marks or other wannabee mercenaries. Another series they should cancel is Firestorm, its not as weird as Captain Atom but I don't feel like its going anywhere. As for Green Arrow, I'm reaching that point where they should cancel it as well because the villains and stories he is mixed up with aren't all that thrilling. Sad to say but I think the axe should also fall on Red Hood and the Outlaws and Birds of Prey. You know I gotta better idea I will make a list of titles that should be cancelled and maybe you can agree or disagree. I look forward to your input users.

#21 Posted by Skruff (5 posts) - - Show Bio

I was enjoying Resurrection Man - not as much as I did his series in the 90s - but still enjoying it quite a bit. Sadly, I'm guessing Mitch will fade into obscurity again.

I was hoping one of Liefeld's titles would get the cut, Deathstroke or Hawkman perhaps. No such luck this time, it seems...

#22 Posted by StarKiller809 (1214 posts) - - Show Bio

I didn't read any of them but I've heard great things about both. It's kinda sad to see series get cancelled because it just reminds you that even if you love a book, if someone in power thinks it's not selling well, it's over. Hope it doesn't happen to a few of my favorites. 

#23 Posted by Fuchsia_Nightingale (10180 posts) - - Show Bio

To be replace by 2 new Batman tittles

:P

#24 Posted by Twentyfive (2405 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope they don't cancel Batwing. He is the only DC spinoff character that I enjoy post 52.

On the Other Hand, I cannot wait for SoS! Truth to tell, I used to hate fantasy books, but I have learned to open my mind up to some crazy storytelling.

#25 Posted by blur1528 (1055 posts) - - Show Bio

VooDoo got the boot.

#26 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2156 posts) - - Show Bio

I am sad and relieved at the same time. Sad that title I am getting is getting axed, but relieved that I wont have to buy it anymore and save more money.

#27 Posted by deadpoolwins:) (124 posts) - - Show Bio

the only books i currently read are aquaman, justice league, suicide squad, red hood and the outlaws, batman, and red lanterns. if its any of those i might just give up on dc entirely. liefield is terrible and one of his books should go....... deathstroke *cough* *cough* seriously i liked deathstroke when higgins was on it, the development was nice and the revival of grant was shocking. suddenly all that is gone wtf liefield just started over and ignored all that was set up in the last 8 issues, and the guy can draw worth a s***. im not sure if he is aware, but women do have spines, mens arms are not larger than their heads, 200 pouches is not cool, and people have feet not little triangles. i hate liefield.

#28 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8750 posts) - - Show Bio

These covers look awesome. September should be a good month for Dc comics

#29 Posted by Biskit74 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

The ONLY title I know of that should be cancelled is Blue Beetle. It's a great comic that DC screwed themselves on. WAY too much Spanish. As bad as I would like to be, I'm not bilingual, and if I was, Spanish would not be my second language. I was truly disappointed with the title.

#30 Posted by Ganthetsward20 (687 posts) - - Show Bio

I just dropped Resurrection Man. I was fearful I would miss out on something cool by doing that, turned out okay since they will stop it in September anyways

#31 Posted by G-Man (29393 posts) - - Show Bio

The original post has been updated with the fourth and final cancellation. :(

Staff
#32 Edited by Darkchild (40542 posts) - - Show Bio

Mother f#$kers!!! I was really enjoying Resurrection Man

#33 Posted by BlackArmor (6121 posts) - - Show Bio

@blur1528 said:

Now I'm sad... Resurrection Man was one of my favorite books to read each and every month.

yeah, this is depressing

#34 Posted by pspin (886 posts) - - Show Bio

Man people really hate Liefield, why?

As for the titles, I never read any of them but I am surprised Voodoo was on the list, the way everyone was talking about it is sounded popular. As long as they don't cancel Supergirl or Red Hood, I don't care.

#35 Posted by Dernman (13969 posts) - - Show Bio

Voodoo is gone but I new it would be the moment that they did the switch. 

Someone please tell me how Red Lanterns and Agent of Shade are still going.

#36 Posted by KainScion (2973 posts) - - Show Bio

man, i really liked jli and resurrection man. sucks

#37 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio

Any word on what they'll be replaced with? Or are they not being replaced at all?

#38 Posted by EpicMeltDown (64 posts) - - Show Bio

I was curious what the sales numbers for these three series were. So I thought I would post what I found.

Resurrection Man 8 14,998

Captain Atom 8 11,701

JLI 8 30,396

And then by way of comparison:

Batman 8 130,602

The Walking Dead 96 36,931

These numbers are just for one month so I don't know what the trend was (I assume downward ;) ). And these numbers are just Diamond sales to comic shops (No digital). So my question is: What is the cut off for DC? if JLI is doing 30,000 copies why not let it stick around a while? If anyone has any incite on this I'm all ears.

Here is a link to where the numbers came from http://www.icv2.com/articles/news/22842.html

#39 Posted by Remi (613 posts) - - Show Bio

@pspin said:

Man people really hate Liefield, why?

Because he's a talentless hack.

#40 Posted by Dernman (13969 posts) - - Show Bio

They should have kept JLI. It had potential.

#41 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (9783 posts) - - Show Bio

Just saw that VOODOO, is cancelled now too. Very upset about that.

#42 Posted by Dynamiteawesome (2 posts) - - Show Bio

So they are cancelling Voodoo? What a shit show that comic turned out to be. It never figured out what it wanted to do and decided to kill off a few characters, which did nothing good for the story. Though I did like certain elements of it.

I am not sure how Red Lanterns is staying afloat.

#43 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (27266 posts) - - Show Bio

Ok DC, that's it. If your just going to continue cancelling the books I actually like, then your wasting my time I'm just going to take my custom else where. That's right, consider your self dropped.... even Batman. 

#44 Posted by maxicere (935 posts) - - Show Bio

He he he !!

#45 Posted by CircularLogic (282 posts) - - Show Bio

Man, Resurrection Man was a great book, So was Captain Atom (though i'm not surprise either of them got cut). Voodoo makes sense, since besides Stormwatch I'm pretty sure most of the Wildstorm line has been doing pretty poorly both critically and commercially, which isn't too surprising considering the imprint was a 90's Jim Lee creator owned project and most of the series from that line worth reading existed thanks to writers like Warren Ellis revamping the whole thing, making it readable.

That said, It saddens me that these two books get the ax when absolute crap like Batman: The Dark Knight, Superboy, Legion Lost and Red Lanterns are still around. I'll never understand public opinion, I guess

#46 Posted by The Mighty Monarch (2188 posts) - - Show Bio

Sadly, good riddance to Voodoo, Ron Marz's first four issues were amazing, but when Williamson came on he just crashed that series right through ten icebergs. It was beginning to come around a bit, but not nearly enough.

Captain Atom started off so bad, but its recently been amazing, sad to see that one go, but I only recently caught up, so my heart wasn't in it too much.

SUPER bummed about Resurrection Man, that one hung around my top 15 (out of all 52.) This set of replacements doesn't seem quite as solid as what we got in the Second Wave. Swords of Sorcery seems like it has unique potential, and Talon has Guillem March doing creepy former brainwashed assassin as he does best with Scott Snyder; but Phantom Stranger has Dan Didio and 'exploring his origin' against it, and I can't muster up a single ounce of interest in Team 7, PLUS it's got MORE skinny Amanda Er.

I'll give all a shot, sure, but I'm a little cautious on two, especially since we lost 3 solid series this time, and only one crappy one.

#47 Posted by wdchefdave (136 posts) - - Show Bio

FEAR NOT!

The axe will fall many more times.

There were two thirds of the original "New 52" that I would not risk a dime to look at.

I know that DC and all it's "eggheads" thought that they had it all figured out...

but, I can almost get a gallon of gasoline for the price of one comic book!

I'd save a lot more gas if I had something to read at the house worth the price!

I'll be watching my gas tank more than the slop that DC is offering these days.

That "Brave & Bold" moment when a bunch of people decided to mess with the "Classics"... has produced nothing I want to read nor pay for.

After 45 years of reading comics... I feel betrayed.

#48 Posted by Green ankh (997 posts) - - Show Bio

I JUST FINISHED GETTING UP TO DATE ON VOODOO !! damn

#49 Posted by Spiderslike (652 posts) - - Show Bio

Damn i was a lil interested in most of these characters I think a great idea could be to just reuse an older team or squad features some of these characters

#50 Posted by Nighthunter (28561 posts) - - Show Bio

I read Ressurection Man, Captain Atom and JLI. I was thinking of dropping JLI but the other two were solid books. I'm happy that other series were saved in their places but I would have liked that other series got cancelled. Like Grifter and Deathstroke...especially with the team 7 series

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.