Follow

The New 52

Concept » The New 52 appears in 296 issues.

DC Comics' controversial 2011 reboot of its entire line of ongoing comic books following the universe altering event, Flashpoint. After Doomsday Clock, it was redefined as Earth-52.

DC Comics Announces 'Zero Month' Plus a New 'Wave' and More Cancellations

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

For months now, there's been talk about what's coming this Fall at DC Comics. We've been hearing talks of zero issues taking place in September along with the possibility that titles will be seeing their final issue in August. We've been waiting to find out since the September solicitations had not been released. Today, DC has laid out their plan for what's to come.

On their blog, it was revealed that September will now be known as "0" Month. The #0s will be stand-alone stories and deal with origins of a character or team or will fill in the blanks for the many questions we've had.

No Caption Provided

But that's not all. We will also be seeing four new series starting at issue 0.

TALON - Writer James Tynion IV with co-plotter Scott Snyder. Artist: Guillem March.
    Meet Calvin Rose, the only Talon to ever escape the grasp of the Court of Owls. This former assassin of the Court is trying to live a normal life ... but that’s impossible when he’s being hunted by his former masters!

SWORD OF SORCERY – Writer: Christy Marx. Artist: Aaron Lopresti.
    Featuring the return of Amethyst, Amy Winston leads a strange life on the road with her mother and resents it. She’s about to learn it’s all been necessary when she discovers she’s the lost princess of Gemworld—and she’s being hunted by her murderous aunt. With a back-up story written by Tony Bedard with art by Jesus Saiz, set in a post-apocalyptic wasteland, the monstrous warrior Beowulf is charged with finding and defeating the evil Grendel.

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.
    Spinning out of his recent appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE and DC’s Free Comic Book Day story, learn more about the true origin of The Phantom Stranger and his connection to the mysterious Pandora.

TEAM SEVEN - Writer: Justin Jordan. Artist: Jesus Merino.
    Set in the early days of DC COMICS-THE NEW 52, threads of the entire DC Universe collide. As Superman emerges, so does the world’s counter measures against him and his kind. Team 7 is comprised of Dinah Lance, Amanda Waller, Steve Trevor, John Lynch, Alex Fairchild, Cole Cash, Slade Wilson — and their story will change everything you know about DC COMICS-THE NEW 52.

Dan DiDio told us back in March at WonderCon that the plan is to alway remain at 52 ongoing series in the "New 52." So what will be getting cancelled? DC has only announced that JUSTICE LEAGUE INTERNATIONAL is being canceled. According to an interview with Newsarama, they are still "reviewing the rest of the line" to determine what the other will be. At this stage in the game, you know they have to have a pretty good idea.

Here's a look at some more 'promotional' art for the 0 issues. It's interesting that they all say "1" and "First Issue" instead of "0."

What do you think the other three cancellations will be?

DanialCarroll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By DanialCarroll

Blue Beetle, Voodoo, and Captain Atom are at the bottom of the sales chart, so I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those go. Strange that JLI is being cancelled though seeing as it's sitting midway at #25.

EDIT: The bottom 10 last month were...

1. CAPTAIN ATOM
    2. VOODOO
    3. BLUE BEETLE
    4. GRIFTER
    5. DC UNIVERSE PRESENTS
    6. RESURRECTION MAN
    7. FURY OF FIRESTORM THE NUCLEAR MEN
    8. FRANKENSTEIN AGENT OF SHADE
    9. LEGION LOST
    10. SAVAGE HAWKMAN
    Redberry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By Redberry

lol, Batman is like Wolverine.

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#3  Edited By rav4

not really looking forward to the two month gap in between the books' actual stories... but whatever

fotocub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By fotocub

I'd guess Blue Beetle, Captain Atom and Resurrection Man, because they are the lowest selling DC books that haven't had a creator shake-up in 12 issues. They may still be trying to give books like Voodoo, Firestorm and the 3 Liefeld books a fair shot.

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Deathstroke, Grifter and Black Canary in one team? Where do I sign?
    Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 140

#6  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

Still no Creeper in ANYTHING? Not interested.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#7  Edited By dernman
    Talon: First thought was great but not so sure anymore about him having his own book.  
    SWORD OF SORCERY: At first I thought it would be boring until I read what it was going to be about. Sounds interesting. 
    THE PHANTOM STRANGER: Sounds interesting in theory. 
    Team Seven: So what this is going to take place in the past?
    ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#8  Edited By ReVamp

I hope Hawkman stays. I, Vampire too.

DDangelico

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By DDangelico

Talon sounds pretty rad. But then again, everything that Snyder does sounds pretty rad!!

KainScion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By KainScion

1. i liked justice league international. 2.talon is a type of story we've seen how many times? not interesting. 3. phantom stranger is a must to understand this sh*tfest of new52. 4. rest not worth it. 5. is red lanterns finally cancelled?

HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By HubrisRanger

Wow, that is a hell of a cast of charaacters for Team 7, and interesting to see more stuff set in the DCnU's past. Never heard of Justin Jordan though.

Also, Scott Snyder on four ongoing books? Surely he's going to have to drop something, just to stay sane, right?

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By dernman

Batman inc. Go go away. never come back  no matter what they say.

Roldan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Roldan

@Ravager4 said:

not really looking forward to the two month gap in between the books' actual stories... but whatever

Don't you mean Wolverine is Batman?

fuzzybunny566

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By fuzzybunny566

i'd like some more knight and squire...maybe another mini-series

Kallarkz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By Kallarkz

@ReVamp said:

I hope Hawkman stays. I, Vampire too.

I'd hope not. Hawkman is getting better and I vampire has been just great

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#16  Edited By sj_esposito

I'm not sure how to feel about the Talon book... I feel like it's kind of hokey in concept, but I'm eager to see what kind of story Tynion's got to tell. I just hope the book can transcend the Court thing a bit... it's been a long time that we've been dealing with them already, and while they're cool, I could see them being too much of a good thing at some point; I was kind of hoping that once Night of the Owls wraps, we'd take a breather from the Court for a while.

Also kind of intrigued by Team 7, mostly for the cast. I love The New 52 Steve Trevor and I'm excited to see how Dinah fits in with them. Also, perhaps we'll finally be getting some answers in this book... it's about time.

Just a note: Tony, Sara, everyone... Scott went through great lengths on twitter to say he is not the writer of Talon--James Tynion is--and that it's a misprint. He said he has "a story by co-credit, but its written by him [Tynion].."

ObsideonDarman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By ObsideonDarman

DECTECTIVE COMICS and SUPERMAN are at the very bottom of my list in terms of quality. I still buy them hoping they will get better but honestly it's just a waste of money.

Could you imagine if they cancelled them? They will never do that obviously but just imagine!

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skaddix

Talon book is a waste. How about Cass or Tim or Azrael. Team Seven in the early days sounds interesting but in the past all the time should be a mini in my opinion. Sword of Sorcery (well if its dark should be good but probably teen) with Phantom Stranger (as dark). On Sword of Sorcery, hope to see characters like Black Alice, Kid Devil, JJ Thunder, and Traci 13 here.

What got cancelled? Resurrection Man, Captain Atom, Blue Beetle and Team Seven replaces JLI.

AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By AtPhantom

@G-Man said:

Spinning out of his recent appearances in JUSTICE LEAGUE and DC’s Free Comic Book Day story, learn more about the true origin of The Phantom Stranger and his connection to the mysterious Pandora.

Oh.

God.

No.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ragdollpurps

Fancy.
    cbishop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

User Lists: 1268

#21  Edited By cbishop

Talon - I don't think this is a good idea. It sounds like both Manhunter & Nemesis, where an entire evil organization hunts them down, but one guy is able to not only evade, but also bring the organization down. Also, it sounds like Azrael - turning a popular badguy into a good guy or anti-hero to sell another book. Good heroes need good villains, and it sounds like the Court of Owls was finally a challenge for Batman and company.

Phantom Stranger - Stranger. Stranger! His origin should never be told. Especially just to facilitate the backstory of a brand new character.

Team 7 - Although I really liked the original T7, this lineup intrigues me. A little. I think I'd rather have seen Sgt Rock, Sarge Steel, or Peacemaker in Amanda Waller's slot though. (Ew, regretting the mental image that brought up - sorry.)

Sword of Sorcery - Not gonna lie; I'm an Amethyst geek, so kinda excited to see how this title goes. If only there were hope of connecting this gem themed character to others in the DCU, like Star Sapphire, Eclipso, Sargon, and a few others (it'd be a great chance to revive the Forever Amber character).

Omega Ray Jay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#22  Edited By Omega Ray Jay

Very interesting idea. Really hope Batwing stays.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By ragdollpurps

Team 7 cover
    Tyrisis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Tyrisis

Umm...this hit me yesterday...DC New 52 is running out of steam.

I loved it at first, but now I'm down to eight issues that I am reading and part of those I am getting weary of.

Here is what I am still reading:

• Action Comics
    • Superman
    • Supergirl
    • Superboy
    • Teen Titans
    • Aquaman
    • All Star Western
    • Earth 2

I've given up on all the others, having started out reading all 52. Other than Team 7, none of the new ones sound remotely interesting to me. Ravagers and World's Finest was a let down, so I hope Team 7 is good.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#25  Edited By Mercy_

Team 7 *___*

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By dernman
    @ragdollpurps said:

Team 7 cover
    Hmm so if we go by the cover it isn't set in the past.
    morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    Slade could have looked a bit better. 

@AtPhantom  said: 

@G-Man said:

THE PHANTOM STRANGER - Writer: Dan DiDio. Artist: Brent Anderson.

Oh.

God.

No.

LOL. When I saw Phantom Stranger, I thought "yes." Then I saw Didio and thought, "eh, pass."
    CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By CODYSF

@Danial79 said:

Blue Beetle, Voodoo, and Captain Atom are at the bottom of the sales chart, so I wouldn't be surprised to see any of those go. Strange that JLI is being cancelled though seeing as it's sitting midway at #25.

Oh god I don't want Blue Beetle to get cancelled I love the comic Jaime Reyes rules.

deadpool25mm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By deadpool25mm

I'll be getting Talon and The Phantom Stranger , they sound good. and the 0's of the seires i started with.

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By dernman
    @cbishop

Talon - I don't think this is a good idea. It sounds like both Manhunter & Nemesis, where an entire evil organization hunts them down, but one guy is able to not only evade, but also bring the organization down. Also, it sounds like Azrael - turning a popular badguy into a good guy or anti-hero to sell another book. Good heroes need good villains, and it sounds like the Court of Owls was finally a challenge for Batman and company.

Agree that's another problem I have with the book.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Mercy_
    @ragdollpurps Prettyyyy
    VanAce

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By VanAce

Most likely the bottom 3 titles in sales (Blue Beetle, Voodoo, and Captain Atom) will go although, although there a few titles sitting under 20,000 according to ICV2 so it could be any of them. It will all depend on what their plans for those titles are. They might be seeing the potential of certain titles in trade and see if that improves the sales.

I have a feeling that the Phantom Stranger title may be the kind of title that will come to a natural conclusion once the DC's event comes around.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Mercy_
    @Dernman How'd you come to that conclusion? Canary doesn't have short hair in current time.
    AtPhantom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By AtPhantom

@Morpheus_ said:

LOL. When I saw Phantom Stranger, I thought "yes." Then I saw Didio and thought, "eh, pass."

It's like if they woke up one day and said 'Hey, what is the worst possible thing we could do with the Phantom Stranger?' and then Dan DiDio barged into the room.

mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By mattwing87

@Omega Ray Jay: I hope so too!

morpheus_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By morpheus_  Moderator
    @AtPhantom: Could had been worse. It could had happened to the Spectre.
    mattwing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By mattwing87

I liked Justice League International! It's gotten better and it sells 30,000 a month so I think it should stay! All the new upcoming titles sound lame! Id rather have a Red Robin or a Blue Lantern series. Also bring back Wally West!!!

dernman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By dernman
    @Mercy_ said:
    @Dernman How'd you come to that conclusion? Canary doesn't have short hair in current time.
    I'm assuming you are talking about my comment on the pic? 
    Hair can be cut and Grifter didn't get his mask until the second or first issue of his series. He found it blocked the Daemonites from entering his mind. 
    Although the rest of them look younger like Slade (not sure which one he is) and Amanda Waller.
    pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#39  Edited By pspin

Sword of Sorcery seems interesting but it also seems like more of a Vertigo title, not a New 52 title.

When Batman shows up in Talon it just proves he has a terrible case of Wolverine Syndrome.

If Dinah Lance is in Team 7 wouldn't that make her way older than Ollie? Maybe they can kill Waller in that book and make Suicide Squad more interesting.

zombietag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#40  Edited By zombietag

they say #1 on their covers because thats the original covers for the first issues of the 52 with the characters ripping out of them

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 3

#41  Edited By sj_esposito

@ragdollpurps said:

Team 7 cover

Oh, uh... I might have to retract my statement about being excited for this book with a cover like this. Once again, someone at DC thinks things were better in 1997. This looks like a cheap GI Joe ripoff.

eiderglast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By eiderglast

hmmm.. sounds familiar.. wonder why.

No Caption Provided

so is this another reboot of sorts?

rav4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By rav4

@Dernman said:

@Mercy_ said:
    Although the rest of them look younger like Slade (not sure which one he is)

I can only come to the conclusion that Slade isn't on the cover... because none of them look anything like him. At all. He's old enough where a book taking place even ten years in the past wouldn't make him look that different. At least I wouldn't think.

wowylied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By wowylied

Another bat title...another sup title...and batwoman already have a number #0.

Avatar image for fadetoblackbolt
    FadeToBlackBolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 6

#45  Edited By FadeToBlackBolt
    @AtPhantom said:

@G-Man said:

Oh.

God.

No.

Well said.  

With the exception of Batman Inc (which isn't a new 52 title, shock-horror) those all sounds bloody atrocious.  

Terrible, DC, just terrible.
    HubrisRanger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#46  Edited By HubrisRanger

@Ravager4 said:

@Dernman said:

@Mercy_ said:

I can only come to the conclusion that Slade isn't on the cover... because none of them look anything like him. At all. He's old enough where a book taking place even ten years in the past wouldn't make him look that different. At least I wouldn't think.

Pretty sure he's replaced whoever the black dude in the shades is; everyone else can be pretty directly tied to the list in the solicitation, if you assume the dude in the hat is Lynch and the guy on the right is Fairchild, Trevor on the bottom left. Lance, Waller and Grifter are all easy enough to identify.

ragdollpurps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By ragdollpurps

An Animal Man cover
    Avatar image for haydenclaireheroes
    haydenclaireheroes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1207

User Lists: 14

YAY so glad about the issue 0's. September should be a great month for comics. The Talon seems like an awesome series that spins out of a great story arc.

Skaddix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By Skaddix

@HubrisRanger said:

@Ravager4 said:

@Dernman said:

@Mercy_ said:

Pretty sure he's replaced whoever the black dude in the shades is; everyone else can be pretty directly tied to the list in the solicitation, if you assume the dude in the hat is Lynch and the guy on the right is Fairchild, Trevor on the bottom left. Lance, Waller and Grifter are all easy enough to identify.

Or got replaced by the black guy.

callmethebat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By callmethebat

Just checked Snyder's twitter: "Scott Snyder ‏Ssnyder1835

So excited about the news for TALON - going to be good! 1 thing it is NOT written by me! Thats a misprint! It's written by JamesTheFourth(James Tynion IV).....should still be a good read...Snyder is the "co-pilot".

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.