Awesome Toy Picks: New 52 Super Heroes vs. Super-Villains 7-Pack

Posted by G-Man (37658 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a close look at a cool comic book collectible. That means taking it out of the packaging. This week's selection is a big one. With the holidays just around the corner, this would be a great item to add to your personal list or something to pick up for someone in your life.

You've seen the New 52 figures from DC Collectibles but this 7-pack box set is something else. You can order this directly from DC Collectibles (by clicking HERE). The retail price is $99.95. That might seem like a lot but when you consider the fact that each figure normally cost $24.95 each, do the math, you're saving quite a bit!

While you can buy most of these figures separately, there are some differences (which will be noted below). It should also be noted that Catwoman is not sold separately. Aquaman, Batman and the Flash are sculpted by Jack Mathews. Captain Cold is sculpted by James Shoop. Black Manta is sculpted by Jean St. Jean. Catwoman is sculpted by Jon Mathews. The Joker is sculpted by Phil Ramirez.

Batman

You might already have a New 52 Batman figure but this one is a little different. It's the same sculpt but he has a metallic look to his costume.

You can see how he compares to the original Batman figure. At first I thought it looked too shiny but when you compare them, the newer one actually makes the older one look a little bad.

This makes up for having to get another Batman figure.

The Flash

The Flash figure looks pretty slick.

This figure also has a more metallic finish. It makes a little more sense since his costume is made from the Speed Force now. You can almost think of this as a new sports car model.

Comparing these is almost like looking at the pre-New 52 or even Silver Age version of Barry Allen. Again, it's the same mold but it definitely shines more than the first Flash figure.

Aquaman

Aquaman got a shave and a haircut.

He almost looks a little younger. This version also lost the necklace and chain attached to his trident. You can also see he's holding a different trident. His top is also a different shade of orange.

Catwoman

This is the only way you can get a New 52 Catwoman figure in this line. DC has also mentioned that there are currently no plans to release Selina, Vibe or the Katana figures separately but they will keep them under consideration for future releases.

You can see she comes with a whip. A cool thing is you can actually move her goggles and place them over her eyes.

It's unfortunate that this is the only place to get Catwoman but it's just one more reason to pick up this set. It is a great deal for what you get.

Black Manta

You can't have an Aquaman figure without a Black Manta one. Well, of course you can, but what's the fun in that? Black Manta is sort of a goofy looking character but at the same time, there's something that makes him a badass.

Captain Cold

What is it about Captain Cold that makes him so cool? (No pun intended, seriously).

In the New 52, he's gone through a little change, in terms of his powers. Although, in the pages of FOREVER EVIL, that may be changing.

The downside of getting this figure here and not separately is it doesn't include his interchangeable hand. (You can see the separate figure HERE). The individual one has a giant ice-mace as well as an ice dagger. But how useful would those be against the Flash?

The Joker

This is the one I've been most looking forward to.

The Joker is available separately (you can see him HERE) but you'll notice in the set he comes with an orange jump suit.

This is the Death of the Family version. Joker is always a creepy figure but with his face attached as a mask, he looks extra creepy. You have to love his skinny arms as well.

Both versions of the figure come with removable tools so Joker can do whatever evil dastardly things that might go through his mind.

It's a massive set. The hundred dollar price tag might seem high but if you haven't purchased even four of these figures, it's worth it. Plus the fact that this is the only place you can get Catwoman.

Have you been naughty or nice this year? This makes the perfect gift for that big comic fan in your life or even yourself. If you're interested, click HERE.

That's it for this week. We'll have another item in the spotlight next time.

#1 Posted by Dabee (2399 posts) - - Show Bio

I've been looking at this set at my LCS for a while...

#2 Posted by patrat18 (10668 posts) - - Show Bio

Might get this on the 25th. Depends.

#3 Posted by noj (1094 posts) - - Show Bio

Dang the Flash and Batman figures new finish REALLY puts the old ones to shame. It almost makes me regret getting them.

#4 Edited by Life_Without_Progress (2382 posts) - - Show Bio

Sweet Looking Figurines :)

#5 Posted by sinestro_GL (3282 posts) - - Show Bio

Captain Cold figure here is my pick of the 7

#6 Posted by _Marc_74 (171 posts) - - Show Bio

if only i was 12. damn

#7 Posted by lifeboy (1675 posts) - - Show Bio

I got the katana figure and it was well sculpted, but her soul-taker was a regular sword and not that cool one in the comics. I was very dissapointed.

#8 Edited by PunyParker (12211 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh god,this is so awesome....

#9 Posted by hammers_of_justice (48 posts) - - Show Bio

Got these on Friday. I didn't realise you can move catwoman's goggles !!

#10 Posted by Novemberx2 (469 posts) - - Show Bio

wow batman, flash and aquaman look so much better than their individually released figures

#11 Posted by RulerOfThisUniverse (6364 posts) - - Show Bio

My 3 favorite heroes, my 3 favorite villains for those heroes, and an exclusive figure. I think I might just get this.....

#12 Posted by comicgod (18 posts) - - Show Bio

I have to say, the Joker has a pretty sick model for this toy. I really like the metallic look on batman, but I think we can all agree as usual aquaman cannot ever look cool. The only thing they could have done to make aquaman look cool is if they used the aquaman from the movie Flashpoint Paradox.

See for once in his life he actually looks like he can do something except speak to his tuna sandwich.

#13 Edited by AWeekInGeekdom (230 posts) - - Show Bio

I wanted to get that set but I'm strangely picky about how the faces look and stuff but man I was really disappointed with Aquaman's face... he looks like he was spooked or easily surprised. Does the uncanny valley venture on to Action Figures for you guys as well?

#14 Edited by Lurkero (219 posts) - - Show Bio

Aquaman and Joker seem like downgrades, but the other figures look nice. The metallic finishes look good on Flash and Aquaman, but I don't think it looks better on Batman. I always picture Batman with garments and equipment that are very dull in appearance. You don't want Batman going around at night reflecting light off his metallic suit.

Also, let's be honest, the figures aren't worth the individual $25 price. That's just the premium price for avid collectors. In this set the figures are closer to the $15 price they should be.

#17 Posted by darkrider (462 posts) - - Show Bio

i didn't get this figures individually because i was waiting this set

#18 Posted by snarkybits (386 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent set of figures. $100 is still way too much for me, though. :(

#19 Edited by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

Get three of your favorite DC comics heroes and their most feared villains...and Catwoman. We made too many of that one so...here ya go.

#20 Posted by G-Man (37658 posts) - - Show Bio

@kal_smahboi: what do you mean? I mentioned Catwoman was made just for this set? How could there be too many?

#21 Posted by Kal'smahboi (3572 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: No worries, I was being DC in my comment. It seems like she was just thrown in there for good measure haha.

#22 Posted by torqueflite (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally sucks that Catwoman can't be purchased separately. DC, please rectify this ASAP. Thanks.

#23 Edited by timelord (806 posts) - - Show Bio

The Batman and Catwoman action figures look to much like my Artfix+ statues I would love to see a Rouges set of action figures I'd buy those in a heart beat.

#24 Posted by mrdecepticonleader (18599 posts) - - Show Bio

@_marc_74 said:

if only i was 12. damn

Why does it matter how old you are??

#25 Posted by Tyrannotaur (288 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like the Catwoman from this, but I think it'd be better to just get the ArtFX version. Trying to cut back on my action figure purchases.

#26 Posted by nappystr8 (1143 posts) - - Show Bio

This looks like a great set. The paintjob on Batman is especially impressive. And the adjustable goggles on Catwoman are a plus.

#27 Edited by Mrgreenlantern (661 posts) - - Show Bio

my LCS just got this in,I think I'll have to pick this up for captain cold

#31 Posted by ravisher (694 posts) - - Show Bio

that black manta is badass

#32 Posted by Mucklefluga (2609 posts) - - Show Bio

Black Manta must have a tiny head.

#35 Edited by Justthatkid (4646 posts) - - Show Bio

Loving that they used Jim Lee's Aquaman belt.

#38 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1187 posts) - - Show Bio

i just got it for catwoman.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.