undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

Grant Morrison is one of the few writers who truly thrives when he’s taken off the leash and given free reign to do whatever pops into the mad, whirling machine that is his mind. While not everything turns out perfectly, for every THE FILTH we get a WE3, DOOM PATROL and SEVEN SOLDIERS, so he’s on far, far more than he’s off and this final issue in the oddly lucid (at least by his standards) Multiversitystands as a testament to his ability to use pre-existing characters in completely new ways while telling a multilayered story that spans not just time, but universes. Trying to explain exactly what happens this issue would actually take the rest of the review, and beyond, as the minutae is so moment-to-moment that there’s a tremendous amount that occurs both on and off-panel. There's a frantic, breakneck pace to the issue that becomes oddly easier to comprehend as the issue is read faster and faster, particularly the part with 15 Flashes, but now that's getting into plot details and that way lies madness.

Ivan Reis pencils and has to be commended for managing to contain all the weirdness that Morrison has in his script and how absolutely uncontrollable all of it comes off as, while still telling a semi-coherent story that is one of the most epic ever told in the history of the DCUs. Control like that also comes at the hands of some very talented inkers and this issue's got Joe Prado, Eber Ferreira and Jaime Mendoza making sense of what could easily, and sometimes still does, become nonsensical. The colors on this issue match the wild, unchained tone of the overall story and are provided by another trio: Dan Brown, Jason Wright and Blond and they do a phenomenal job of making some insane leaps in both tone and content and yet there's never that "whiplash" feeling that sometimes emerges when there are that many different artists working on one issue.

The Bad

There's no way around it: comprehensible though it may be, this is still a Grant Morrison-penned title and it still deals in some ludicrous, heady concepts that require the context of previous Multiverse titles AT LEAST, if not some further reading of comics' history AND at least a cursory knowledge of some very esoteric concepts. Morrison rarely writes to be totally accessible, and that's fine, but there are some practical problems that arise as well, mostly in that the action of this issue is sometimes very hard to follow as well as why one thing followed another. It actually doesn't happen TOO often, but when it does it's very, very jarring.

The Verdict

As bizarre and out-there as this issue is, it's strange to say it's one of Morrison's most comprehensible and accessible, though that doesn't make it EASY. It's a book that needs to be read as quickly as possible for the meaning to sink in, then backtracked on and really enjoyed, but the story itself is actually straightforward and it comes to an enormously satisfying, exciting conclusion. It's hard to say why THIS difficult-to-fully-understand title stands out from others, but there's something very, very special about it that makes it the perfect endings to a truly bizarre journey.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I hope my shop still has a copy when I get back home.

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was incredible and a very very grand finale to the epic story. I also noticed that Captain America and other Marvel characters made cameos in some panels!

With the big bad reveal, I wonder if Morrison is going to dip into this sort of event again in the future, because I know I'd like to see the Justice Incarnate in action.

righteous300

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad it ended with there being room to make future stories. Also was the big bad saying that there are multiple multiverse's?

Hawkguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Hawkguy

@mrtummytumms said:

I'm glad it ended with there being room to make future stories. Also was the big bad saying that there are multiple multiverse's?

Blew my mind when I read that!

Think he was referring to the multiverse before the reboot when he said multiverse-2 but that definitely opened up a LOT of possibilities.

Leave1942

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm looking forward to this, the Multiversity titles have been really hit or miss though. The Ultra Comics one had me groaning the whole way through.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Part of me feels bad for dropping this series after Pax Americana, but I just wasn't enjoying it enough to spend five dollars a month on it.

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By RexWing

Okay this was pretty cool, superb art work for sure and true Grant Morrison brilliance. But wait a minute. Mulitversity turned out to be very similar to convergence but it's not convergence?

Does anybody know if they have plans for the Operation Justice Incarnate team that formed?

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Sadly I couldn't visit my shop today, but since my picks this week (Batman, Shazam and Multiversity) all got 5 stars, I'm even more stoked than I already was. Bring. It. On.

johnny_spam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Amazing series one of DC's best books. It seems a more positive version of Batman Inc's ending. I hope DC doesn't just use these characters as cannon fodder in the next event. The ending really is an open door for more stories which makes sense considering Morrison wanted the series to be pilots for future books.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really REALLY hope that they let Morrison expand on this after Convergence. There is a LOT of stuff here ripe for exploration and I would be MUCH more interested in reading that stuff than I would be anything involving the New 52.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

We’re all insane now. That’s how this works.

This had me laughing so hard.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

@xwraith said:

Part of me feels bad for dropping this series after Pax Americana, but I just wasn't enjoying it enough to spend five dollars a month on it.

This was just one giant acid trip, and not in a good way. This series has been very hit and miss for me. This issue was fine but this series kinda let me down.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:

This was just one giant acid trip, and not in a good way. This series has been very hit and miss for me. This issue was fine but this series kinda let me down.

I didn't even plan on picking it up, but I decided to after seeing everyone on CV go batsh!t insane over it. The only issue I remember liking was the first one.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@xwraith said:
    @thetrueclarkkent said:

I didn't even plan on picking it up, but I decided to after seeing everyone on CV go batsh!t insane over it. The only issue I remember liking was the first one.

I love the Multiverse (it's one of the reasons I'm a DC fan). but this entire thing was injected with insanity and half assed copies of better stories (Nazi Superman was a copy of Red Son, and not a good one at that). I like many of the issues in the beginning, but it fell apart as it went on. Ultra Comics and Nazi Superman were really bad, rushed and convoluted. But just like Scott Snyder, you slap Morrison's name on something and people will love it.

jas0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I just saw the preview of Ultra Comics and this one and I got very excited to read the entire series, I'll wait for the hardcover.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Still would like to see a Shazam ongoing titled "Thunderworld" written by Morrison.

Give us at least 12 issues. Two full over arching story lines to really appease the masses who want new original Captain Marvel stories

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By JakeN7
    @xwraith said:
    @thetrueclarkkent said:

I love the Multiverse (it's one of the reasons I'm a DC fan). but this entire thing was injected with insanity and half assed copies of better stories (Nazi Superman was a copy of Red Son, and not a good one at that). I like many of the issues in the beginning, but it fell apart as it went on. Ultra Comics and Nazi Superman were really bad, rushed and convoluted. But just like Scott Snyder, you slap Morrison's name on something and people will love it.

No Caption Provided

Saint, you've only read New 52 comics and a couple Elseworlds. You don't get to have an opinion on something that, well, as Corey said "require[s] the context of previous Multiverse titles AT LEAST, if not some further reading of comics' history AND at least a cursory knowledge of some very esoteric concepts."

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
    No Caption Provided

Saint, you've only read New 52 comics and a couple Elseworlds. You don't get to have an opinion on something that, well, as Corey said "require[s] the context of previous Multiverse titles AT LEAST, if not some further reading of comics' history AND at least a cursory knowledge of some very esoteric concepts."

I've read Final Crisis, COIE and Infinie Crisis. Trying to force your readers to go back and read stories that came out years (and some of them decades) ago is arrogant and daunting for readers. Most of my complaints have nothing to do with the concepts Morrison has but in his stories and what they symbolize, but how MOrrioson has failed to format some of these stories (IMO). Some of them are rushed or cut away from the story of the issue to force the other wacky concepts of the main story. It's one thing for there to be an event and having to read 3 books a month for 3 months, it's an other thing to assume your readers (or force your readers) have read books that came out years ago.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:
    No Caption Provided

I've read Final Crisis, COIE and Infinie Crisis. Trying to force your readers to go back and read stories that came out years (and some of them decades) ago is arrogant and daunting for readers. Most of my complaints have nothing to do with the concepts Morrison has but in his stories and what they symbolize, but how MOrrioson has failed to format some of these stories (IMO). Some of them are rushed or cut away from the story of the issue to force the other wacky concepts of the main story. It's one thing for there to be an event and having to read 3 books a month for 3 months, it's an other thing to assume your readers (or force your readers) have read books that came out years ago.

Yes, well, I wouldn't expect you to understand the appeal of a shared universe with historical context and an iconic legacy. Being the New 52 fanboy that you are, it's expected that in your eyes the writer is "forcing" the reader to be aware of past occurrences if an issue isn't completely new-reader friendly.

Just goes to show how much of a contrast there is between you and the All New @saint_wildcard.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

Yes, well, I wouldn't expect you to understand the appeal of a shared universe with historical context and an iconic legacy. Being the New 52 fanboy that you are, it's expected that in your eyes the writer is "forcing" the reader to be aware of past occurrences if an issue isn't completely new-reader friendly.

Just goes to show how much of a contrast there is between you and the All New @saint_wildcard.

The forcing part is a fault on the writer and part on the story, but mostly the writer. He didn't even try to explain most of the concepts from previous stories. That's a strike on him and he should have tried. But again, my problem isn't that, but the stories themselves. Many of them were good, but as we got closer and closer to the end it started to fall apart. He's shown he can show you both plot points from the main story and tell a new story within each of the worlds issues (Thunder World and The Just are prime examples). But as we got closer and closer to the end, he got crazier and the single issue stories got more messy.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7 said:

The forcing part is a fault on the writer and part on the story, but mostly the writer. He didn't even try to explain most of the concepts from previous stories. That's a strike on him and he should have tried.

Could you explain the concepts you felt were lost on you as someone who hadn't been exposed to much non-New 52?

But again, my problem isn't that, but the stories themselves. Many of them were good, but as we got closer and closer to the end it started to fall apart. He's shown he can show you both plot points from the main story and tell a new story within each of the worlds issues (Thunder World and The Just are prime examples). But as we got closer and closer to the end, he got crazier and the single issue stories got more messy.

Which issues are you referring to? Any besides (the brilliantly executed) Mastermen?

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

This last comic was epic.

All I want to know is who is that guy in the chair?

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

best book this week in my opinion

KEROGA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24  Edited By KEROGA

IS THIS THE LAST ISSUE??

Avatar image for anthonygiboyeau
    anthonygiboyeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hawkguy: I think he was referring to this multiverse as 2 cuz the original was destroyed in crisis.

Avatar image for anthonygiboyeau
    anthonygiboyeau

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@j_hickmanisgod: I think a thunderworld book would do much better if they did it in the earth one OGN style.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That ending though wow kudos to morrison.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

@tensor: It could be either Morrison himself or a representation of the readers (us) themselves.

A good close for this adventure.

Avatar image for superior_prime_maybe
    superior_prime_maybe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexwing said:

Okay this was pretty cool, superb art work for sure and true Grant Morrison brilliance. But wait a minute. Mulitversity turned out to be very similar to convergence but it's not convergence?

Does anybody know if they have plans for the Operation Justice Incarnate team that formed?

this one kind of mentioned Darkseids war. And Darkseid's war mentioned convergence.
    3 multiversal threats are happening simultaneously. I think.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexwing said:

this one kind of mentioned Darkseids war. And Darkseid's war mentioned convergence.

3 multiversal threats are happening simultaneously. I think.

Nah. Multiversity had to have taken place before Forever Evil, as New 52 Earth-3 Johnny Quick (who died super hard in Forever Evil) was one of the Flashes that was recruited by Red Racer.

Plus, a ton of characters that are being featured in Convergence were in this issue, so there's no way they happened at the same time.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By RybackStun93

@jaken7 said:

The forcing part is a fault on the writer and part on the story, but mostly the writer. He didn't even try to explain most of the concepts from previous stories. That's a strike on him and he should have tried. But again, my problem isn't that, but the stories themselves. Many of them were good, but as we got closer and closer to the end it started to fall apart. He's shown he can show you both plot points from the main story and tell a new story within each of the worlds issues (Thunder World and The Just are prime examples). But as we got closer and closer to the end, he got crazier and the single issue stories got more messy.

While I'll try to be a little less heavy handed than the previous poster, why do you feel that an acknowledgement of a previous fan base (both Morrison and Non-Morrison readers) is a bad thing and Morrison forcing you to read previous content? Have you never read a Morrison book before? His stuff is always all over the place and always indicative of ALL continuity, not just the stuff DC wants to force down our throats. I understand not wanting to extend outside of the event books that you are reading, but really you don't actually need to know every little bit of continuity outside what is being presented in these books.

I don't think that any of the single issues (outside of Thunderworld but even then that continued beyond the story presented) were supposed to tell a single full story within the context of that book. All of these books were designed to showcase certain aspects of the main pieces of the puzzle while showcasing an appreciation of not only fans of those types of stories but also all of the creators that have come before.

Being someone who had been reading DC for nearly a decade before they decided to toss me under the bus, Morrison's Multiversity and by extent Jurgens' Convergence are stories that are being told for the fans who have cried foul at all of their histories being erased by the Big D (Didio).

These books are not designed for New52 readers (Read: New uninitiated readers), they are designed for fans of DECADES worth of stories presented by many, many DC creators. If that's not your cup of tea, I'm sorry you feel that way but maybe you shouldn't have "wasted" your time to begin with.

I hope that you can understand, at least a little bit, why DC fans LOVE these stories and want to get New52 fans (note the distinction) on board with stories that they may have missed by being exclusive to the universe that the Big D has "created".

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thetrueclarkkent said:
    @jaken7 said:

While I'll try to be a little less heavy handed than the previous poster

Just so you know the context, he's my friend and this topic is an inside point of contention between us.

I should probably tone down the dickery while in the public forums though.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

#33  Edited By the_comebacks

@tensor said:

This last comic was epic.

All I want to know is who is that guy in the chair?

Same here. I hope they continue/bring back this comic in some form soon. This was my favorite book from the past 6 months.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

What a whimper...

chalkshark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I don't need a comic book to tell me I'm insane. It's a given.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I have to say.

Too much empty novelty. To much "winks" and homages rather that true writing and story. That's how this issue felt. An anti-climactic ending, which actually felt like an origin story for something that will never come. Which again, very "meta" but still empty.

Whole lot of nothing was the build-up to the end.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Up to this point, even the most mediocre writers can do, "winks" and links between the reality and the DCU.

So when Morrison does it, you expect a step forward. This issue didn't deliver.

If it was written from another writer, I would be like yes, that's good. But Morrison always goes a step forward. And he supposedly planned this for 7 years. I expected MOAR.

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved the concept of this series but didnt love the execution

StarBrand1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Squalleon

@squalleon:its ok to be wrong sometimes

Μeh. I know I am a minority on this. Don't care.

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Here's sth confusing...

Darkseid Wars, Convergence, and Multiversity are basically three key events going on at the DC verse BUT how does it all tie in?

No Caption Provided

Morrison seem to have not mentioned that Earth 3 is destroyed and consumed by Darkseid. And that the heroes are now partaking in the Convergence storyline

JuliusTakalua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Would totally love it if people would discuss about DC Multiverse?

I wanna start a forum but afriad no one would pick up

So many great concepts about the multiverse from teh three main events right now.

Kingthunder99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By Kingthunder99

@juliustakalua: I don't really think multiveristy has anything to do with convergence, Dark side wars, or even earth 2. most stories in multiveristy involved characters outside of pre-52/52 earth, earth 0, and earth 2. it is just a hunch

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well that didn't explain much at all other than the guy in the chair going '' I am the Godlike being , I killed the previous multiverse 2 or something and I will end the story when I feel like it '' Soo is it Morrison himself. Sure seems like it with the arrogance and evil looks :P Also empty promises :D

I enjoy meta events but this was too out there to be satisfying. And what about ''us'' the readers ? We are the Earth 33 ? or Earth 0 ? or from the place where that evil guy in the chair came from ?! QUESTIONS AND NO ANSWERS !

RexWing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yeah I figured it took place before Forever Evil like you said because of Johnny Quick but it's funny to me DC would do two similar events around the same time. Personally I enjoyed multiversity quite a bit more than I'm currently liking Convergence

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

@rybackstun said:

@thetrueclarkkent said:
    @jaken7 said:

While I'll try to be a little less heavy handed than the previous poster, why do you feel that an acknowledgement of a previous fan base (both Morrison and Non-Morrison readers) is a bad thing and Morrison forcing you to read previous content? Have you never read a Morrison book before? His stuff is always all over the place and always indicative of ALL continuity, not just the stuff DC wants to force down our throats. I understand not wanting to extend outside of the event books that you are reading, but really you don't actually need to know every little bit of continuity outside what is being presented in these books.

I don't think that any of the single issues (outside of Thunderworld but even then that continued beyond the story presented) were supposed to tell a single full story within the context of that book. All of these books were designed to showcase certain aspects of the main pieces of the puzzle while showcasing an appreciation of not only fans of those types of stories but also all of the creators that have come before.

Being someone who had been reading DC for nearly a decade before they decided to toss me under the bus, Morrison's Multiversity and by extent Jurgens' Convergence are stories that are being told for the fans who have cried foul at all of their histories being erased by the Big D (Didio).

These books are not designed for New52 readers (Read: New uninitiated readers), they are designed for fans of DECADES worth of stories presented by many, many DC creators. If that's not your cup of tea, I'm sorry you feel that way but maybe you shouldn't have "wasted" your time to begin with.

I hope that you can understand, at least a little bit, why DC fans LOVE these stories and want to get New52 fans (note the distinction) on board with stories that they may have missed by being exclusive to the universe that the Big D has "created".

You clearly don't understand DC if that is your perception.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rexwing said:

@jaken7: Yeah I figured it took place before Forever Evil like you said because of Johnny Quick but it's funny to me DC would do two similar events around the same time. Personally I enjoyed multiversity quite a bit more than I'm currently liking Convergence

Yeah, but they weren't meant to. Convergence was thrown together when DC decided to move offices across the country. Multiversity has been in development for years and years (it was first announced back in 2009). All things considered, I think DC did a decent job tying all this stuff together.

darklighter1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well I'll say it....I thought the entire series sucked.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.