gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

What's going on in THE MULTIVERSITY? While there are some strands of the overall storyline, each one-shot issue has been delightfully self contained. Grant Morrison has given us the chance to get a taste of different versions of familiar characters In the case of THUNDERWORLD ADVENTURES, it's more like familiar versions of beloved characters.

With the New 52, there's been some good and bad things that have happened to the characters we knew. Changes were made for various reasons. With Billy Batson and Shazam, we're just barely getting a sense of who they are now. In this issue, it's almost as if we get to go back in time. It's a time when the Big Red Cheese went by the name of Captain Marvel instead of Shazam.

Seeing Billy Batson in the Justice League today has been fun, but it leaves us wanting more as well as longing for the old stories. Here we get pure Captain Marvel vs Doctor Sivana adventure. With aspects of the Multiverse in play, the adventure takes on a bigger feel. This is truly yet another one-shot where you'll be sad we're not going to see more.

Of course a big part in capturing the nostalgia is having the right visuals. Cameron Stewart's art with Nathan Fairbairn's colors will make you stop and stare. This is a comic you'll want to buy an extra copy or two just so you can share them with friends.

The Bad

The idea of the Multiverse and tying into MULTIVERSITY might cause a tiny bit of confusion to new readers. But it's not really enough to hamper the enjoyment for them.

The only real bad thing about this issue is it's just a one-shot.

There is the question of whether or not there is only one Rock of Eternity (as seen in the Multiversity map) and what does that mean for the New 52 version of the Wizard? This is simply not addressed.

The Verdict

Remember Captain Marvel, Mary Marvel, Captain Marvel Jr and Doctor Sivana? This issue brings them all back, even if it's just for this one time. If you've been reading the MULTIVERSITY issues, of course you'll want to get this. Even if you have no idea what's been going on, you can easily jump into this issue and enjoy a brilliant adventure with these characters. Grant Morrison captures the essence of the characters and Cameron Stewart and Nathan Fairbairn are the perfect duo for the visuals here. This is a comic anyone can enjoy. Make sure you don't miss it.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

What can I say..... It was perfect in every sense of the word :)

This is exactly what I wanted this book to be and so much more, it made me so so so happy to read this.

As you can all guess, this meant a lot to me, but what I'm really thinking about is what this meant to you? (by you I mean anyone reading this) many people don't know Captain Marvel like I do, they see his old self as shallow, unoriginal, or uninteresting, and I think that's because quite frankly people really don't know him. To me, he's one of the most unique characters ever created, and in the New 52 he's really lost what made him so unique. This book took everything I love about the character and showcased it in the best possible way.

What I hope is that this issue shows there is more to the character then one may think, it's not a cut and dry story, Captain Marvel's story is one of true character, and one of wonder that makes anyone who reads feel like a kid again. I am open to change and new interpretations, and I absolutely love the New 52, but with New 52 Cap I really feel like the world lost something special, something we really don't get anymore, and maybe even something we all need.

Every Night before I go to sleep I wish I could wake up in a world where Billy is called Captain Marvel, and the Wizard is called Shazam, and for today, that wish came true. I know for every issue we all say "I wish this could be a regular series" but for this one in particular I'd give anything for it to continue.

I hope with all my heart that this issue helps DC/WB see what they may have lost, and what they may want back. At the very least if this issue helped even one person see why I miss what this character use to be, then I can sleep a little easier tonight.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

This is exactly what I wanted this book to be and so much more, it made me so so so happy to read this.

As you can all guess, this meant a lot to me, but what I'm really thinking about is what this meant to you? many people don't know Captain Marvel like I do, they see his old self as shallow, unoriginal, or uninteresting, and I think that;s because quite frankly people really don;t know him. To me, he's one of the most unique characters ever created, and in the New 52 e's really lost what made him so unique. This book took everything I love about the character and showcased it in the best possible way.

What I hope is that this issue shows there is more to the character then one may think, it's not a cut and dry story, Captain Marvl's story is one of true character, and one of wonder that makes anyone who reads feel like a kid again. I am open to change and new interpretations, and I absolutely love the New 52, but with New 52 Cap I really feel like the world lost something special, something we really don't get anymore, and maybe even something we all need.

Every Night before I go to sleep I wish I could wake up in a world where Billy is called Captain Marvel, and the Wizard is called Shazam, and for today, that wish came true. I know for every issue we all say "I wish this could be a regular series" but for this one in particular I'd give anything for it to continue.

I hope with all my heart that this issue helps DC/WB see what they may have lost, and what they may want back. At the very least if this issue helped even one person see why I miss what this character use to be, then I can sleep a little easier tonight.

lol I knew you would be here with the first comment.

CitizenJP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By UltimateSMfan

@captainmarvel4ever said:

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

As you can all guess, this meant a lot to me, but what I'm really thinking about is what this meant to you? many people don't know Captain Marvel like I do, they see his old self as shallow, unoriginal, or uninteresting, and I think that;s because quite frankly people really don;t know him. To me, he's one of the most unique characters ever created, and in the New 52 e's really lost what made him so unique. This book took everything I love about the character and showcased it in the best possible way.

What I hope is that this issue shows there is more to the character then one may think, it's not a cut and dry story, Captain Marvel's story is one of true character, and one of wonder that makes anyone who reads feel like a kid again. I am open to change and new interpretations, and I absolutely love the New 52, but with New 52 Cap I really feel like the world lost something special, something we really don't get anymore, and maybe even something we all need.

I'm just gonna quote you because this is exactly how i felt towards this issue :)

Oh and, SHAZAM!!!

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: But of course, it's what I'm here for :)

@g_man A truly stellar review sir, it truly captures all my thoughts and feelings while reading this comic.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 7

Probably the best issue yet. Very cool concepts, loved the idea that Sivana managed to create the equivalent of the wizard's power through science.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

This was so good.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

Now I feel like I shouldn't have dropped this "series".

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12 the_stegman  Moderator

I've been avoiding this series, but I'll definitely pick this issue up!

#Shazam!

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By CrystalMaster

@captainmarvel4ever: Ok, i know this isn't Youtube, but thumbs up if you knew CM4ever would have the first coment.

No Caption Provided

Also it may please you to know that for once we agree on nearly everything on the subject

To the right is my favorite Billy Batson story and my 9th fav comic story overall. I f you are interested in teh characters from this issue, then this miniseries is a good place to do more reading.

It is also a good showcase for how the New 52 version (despite being a perfectly good story stand alone) is an utter ruination of the character

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster: I love that book, it's great and very kid friendly too (which is always a plus with a Captain Marvel series).

I also agree, Geoff Johns "Curse of Shazam" series is well written, but it's just not the character. It would make a great Earth One series, but it doesn't fit as a main continuity Cap story.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I've yet to read this and I'm sure it will be fun, but I do not see the attraction to the character. A boy living out a superhero fantasy should be interesting, but I haven't found it so...then again I've only read his appearances in team stories, no solo stories.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@muyjingo: It's not just the idea of a kid getting to be a superhero (although that is a huge part of the draw) it's also about the character study that a boy like Billy brings to the table. He wants to be good, and when the world has essentially chewed you up and spit you out that's a hard thing to be. Not to mention other people don't often respond well to someone like that. Billy's story is about overcoming adversity, and becoming someone better because of it. It's also about the tool being a superhero can take on you when deep down your really just a kid.

Hope that helped shed a little light on things.

@fuzzylittlerodent: If you want a little blast from the past, and a really solid one shot story, then this comic will definatly put a smile on your face :)

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: Thought you'd love it. I guess I have to read it now, since the reviews are looking good LOL.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MuyJingo

@captainmarvel4ever: It did, that's interesting and I wasn't aware of that, thanks. Why do you think the reboot ruined the character?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@micah: Course I would :) and I think you'll like it too, it's a nice one shot that will probably put a smile on your face when it's finished.

@muyjingo: The new Billy is basically the complete opposite of his old self, where old Billy was a very unique character that represented being good, the new Billy is a super generic "Rough on the outside, chip on his shoulder" type character. I'm not saying that type of character is bad, it's just not Billy. In the New 52 most characters had some alterations made for the reboot, while Billy was basically a total tear down. I don't mind all of the changes, and there are some good ideas, but at the end of the day he's a totally different character, and he's lost everything I loved about him. I want to like the new Billy, but as I said he's just not himself (and to be honest he comes off as quite annoying sometimes). Considering Captain marvel was once the most popular superhero in the world, I'd like to see DC/WB show him more respect, and value what made him so great.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

I felt like I was five and discovering superheroes all over again

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

I wanna read all of these, but I can't keep up with how many of them there are :|

I don't even know which ones are out yet.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Love this one-shot! Real nostalgia while reading this and turning the pages. Thought I was over the reboot, but this just reminded me how much I actually miss the PreNew52 DCU *sigh*

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#24  Edited By DrellAssassin

@captainmarvel4ever: I feel like this is the issue you've been waiting for you're entire life lol

Avatar image for smart_dork_dude
    Smart_Dork_Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#25  Edited By Smart_Dork_Dude
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@slade_wilson: Same here :)

@2cool4fun: Comic Vine should have a list of all the issues. Plus each one is a one shot so you can read any of them at any time in any order.

@shazam117: I really like the New 52, but there is just no getting use to New 52 Cap (also Post Crisis is a more accurate term then pre 52).

@drellassassin: In some ways I kinda have. I started reading comics with the New 52, so I've never gotten a newly released issue with the true Captain Marvel. Also it looks like in April I'll be getting 2 more issues with the Big Red Cheese :)

Saren

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 12

DC put out a bunch of solid comics today, but this was head and shoulders above the rest of them.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#28  Edited By Boynerdgeek

Multiversity Thunderworld is basically Grant Morrison saying to Geoff Johns "screw you Geoff Johns, if you want to make great Captain Marvel story in 21st century, this is the way to do it."

For me , it is hard to decide whether Pax Americana or Thunderworld is best issue of Thunderworld. Pax Americana is basically Watchmen post 9/11 while Thunderworld is basically equivalent to All Star Superman.

Seriously, Grant Morrison should win Eisner for Multiversity

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever said:

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

What I hope is that this issue shows there is more to the character then one may think, it's not a cut and dry story, Captain Marvl's story is one of true character, and one of wonder that makes anyone who reads feel like a kid again. I am open to change and new interpretations, and I absolutely love the New 52, but with New 52 Cap I really feel like the world lost something special, something we really don't get anymore, and maybe even something we all need.

lol I knew you would be here with the first comment.

Saint_Sophie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Coolio.. Totally gonna pick this up in the near future..

Mark_Stephen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really loved this, from the Back to the Future nod to the Book of Good Deeds and the way Georgia was defeated. Especially the way Georgia was defeated since it was so like the way she's been defeated before. It's very rare to see a comic that isn't grim and gritty and see heroes who actually enjoy being heroes. Too bad this won't last, but they keep telling us that only grim and gritty sell today so...

Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

I wanna read all of these, but I can't keep up with how many of them there are :|

I don't even know which ones are out yet.

Here ya go.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

As you can all guess, this meant a lot to me, but what I'm really thinking about is what this meant to you? (by you I mean anyone reading this) many people don't know Captain Marvel like I do, they see his old self as shallow, unoriginal, or uninteresting, and I think that's because quite frankly people really don't know him. To me, he's one of the most unique characters ever created, and in the New 52 he's really lost what made him so unique. This book took everything I love about the character and showcased it in the best possible way.

This!

I really like Captain Marvel, I just hope DC focus more on the character especially this coming April. I really want a Captain Marvel on-going so bad, but a single issue can make my day.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_sophie: Believe me if this type of book which is fun and colourful always number 1 in comics sales, every comics publisher will publish more fun and colourful stuff

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@captainmarvel4ever: this book is not only great for Billy Batson fans, but also Sivana fans

Many people forget this but main villain for Billy Batson is not Black Adam. It is Sivana

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I had a big smile on my face when I was done reading this.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saren: My thoughts exactly

@boynerdgeek: Even though i think this was the superior version of a modern Captain Marvel, I don't think it was Geoff Johns idea to do that story, I really think he had to do it to make good material for a movie. Also yes, I'm glad to see Sivana get more spotlight, he really deserves it.

@mark_stephen: Who knows, maybe this will send a message and pave the way for brighter stories to come.

@holyserpent: I do and I don't. I like that there are multiple wizards, and I like all the connections they made to other magic based characters, but I'm not a fan of New 52 Shazam, he's a bit of a jerk and less of a wise mentor, I also don't like that he's an aboriginal Australian, it doesn't make a lot of sense to me, he should either be Greek, Egyptian, or a generic wizard like in this issue (admittedly though, that's more of a nit pick).

@vinomonster: If they can bring back the aspects of the character that fans love, then I would absolutely love a Captain Marvel series from DC.

@shadowswordmaster:How could ya not? :)

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@captainmarvel4ever: I know right.

I really loved this, from the Back to the Future nod to the Book of Good Deeds and the way Georgia was defeated. Especially the way Georgia was defeated since it was so like the way she's been defeated before. It's very rare to see a comic that isn't grim and gritty and see heroes who actually enjoy being heroes. Too bad this won't last, but they keep telling us that only grim and gritty sell today so...

Yeah man I was feeling the same after a hour reading this.

laabitres

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was perfect

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Vivide
    the flirt scene was particularly fun
    the flirt scene was particularly fun

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

$ℍⒶƵÅℳ!

I love heroes where they are happy, have humanity and smile with a big heart. Captain Marvel exemplifies these values and he was the apex of the golden age of superheroes. He did superman things before superman absorbed them after that disgusting court decision, then marvel attacked him by stealing the name. Reading some of his old stuff (fawcett/whiz comics) I would say the same.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: oh you don't know ? Otto Binder the great writer who have write many great Captain Marvel story in golden age come to DC in Silver Age and after that he write Superman. That is reason why seems like many Captain Marvel elements been put into Superman story

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Awesome! Just freakin awesome!

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@vivide: See in the golden and silver age, every writer and artist can basically works for many comics publisher because "exclusive contract" doesn't exist yet. That is why Jack Kirby move to DC in 1970's is so big because Kirby the guy who co-created the marvel universe come to DC but many people don't know that Kirby works for DC in the 1950's before he works with Stan Lee in 1960's

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: This is an issue that I've been waiting for to come out for about a year (since the second I heard Morrison was writing Captain Marvel), and something I've been waiting for since Johns stopped writing JSA.

You hit every single point of why I see that the New 52 version of Shazam! is a colossal failure and what made the old school Captain Marvel so great. Morrison hits EVERYTHING in this book. It's almost as if he picked up the 500 page Captain Marvel Showcase book and read through everything to make sure he knew his source material before he put pen to paper (or in this case keystroke to screen I believe haha)

This entire issue made me smile and gave us something that isn't actually in any of the other books and that's closure. This is a 100% self contained story that does include elements from the other books. It'll be interesting to see if any of the Marvel Family comes back in the main book near the end, but as of right now, I'm VERY happy that this book is a 6 out of 5 stars (on my scale hehe).

derf_jenkins

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Each issue I finish I end up muttering the same thing, "this was the best issue in the series." Hopefully that continues.

vinomonster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: whether or not they bring the characteristic of Pre 52 Captain Marvel, I am still eager to read another take to the character. I love every aspect of Captain Marvel thats why I dont call him Shazam haha.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.