undeadpool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

Edited By undeadpool

The Good

While these Multiversity titles are over-sized (with a pricepoint to match), it’s still one helluva thing to have to build an entire world and populate it with characters in the span of only one single issue. It’s a testament to the talent of Grant Morrison that he’s capable of doing just that: throwing the reader into a world, but acclimating them to the comings and goings of it almost immediately. He does this two ways, the best of which is introducing us to a situation right upfront that completely sets up this world and the characters’ relationship to it, letting us know who they are and how they interact. What we get for the rest of the issue is rising tension and the uncovering of a grand, apocalyptic mystery all while the characters continue to interact and develop organically. From well-known players like Damian Wayne and Kon-El to new arrivals like Alexis Luthor and the characters step on-panel and define their character within the page with incredible economy. This is a world where the heroes have become discontent and irritable with a dearth of challenges as Superman’s Super Robots have the world’s protection on lock. They’re treated as next-level celebrities, throwing lavish parties and artistic galas, as well as snipping and sniping about who’s invited to what and who’s dating whom. That last one, especially, comes into play throughout the story, and even more by issue’s end. And, of course, there’s the matter of the inter-dimensional comic book that seems to kill anyone who reads it. Can’t forget to mention that.

Ben Oliver handles both linework and colors, with an assist from Dan Brown, and they were the absolute right choices for this issue in this series. Oliver’s visuals are a heady mix of surreal and ultra-real, two things that Morrison blends in varying degrees, and they ground the book in a way that makes it far, far more compelling than if it were being intentionally bizarre. This is a world of forced mundanity with strange forces on its very, very edges that are creeping in so subtly that they may not even be noticed until it’s too late. The colors are muddy yet somehow still incredibly striking, blending and merging but never becoming homogenous or indistinct. Again, this serves to communicate with every panel that there is something very, very wrong with this world and it’s about to become worse.

The Bad

By design a story like this can’t just define itself through situational context cues without being considerably longer and unfortunately this necessitates a LOT of expository dialog. Characters inform other characters of information they already know, clearly for the readers’ benefit, but they never acknowledge it’s for their benefit, which a title like this could have easily gotten away with. The issue also ends JUST as it’s about to reach the climax, another problem with the format, but like the previous MULTIVERSITY titles, I’d love to see an issue #2 of this one.

The Verdict

Grant Morrison has, apparently, had the idea for MULTIVERSITY floating around the aether of his brain for quite some time, and it seems like it’s been worth the wait. The concepts introduced here are so profoundly interesting on their face that the only truly disappointing thing is with the issue’s length and one-shot format. The visuals are perfect at communicating exactly what this book is all about, both on the surface and under and it’s still a story worth reading and a world worth exploring, even if nothing else is done with it, it sounds corny, the ideas and imaginings it conjures are worth the ride on their own.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

this issue is boring

Avatar image for youknowwhattodo
    youknowwhattodo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By youknowwhattodo

I enjoyed the issue as well, really was into the themes that Grant Morrison was putting out there with this issue regarding legacy and what superheroes would do if they had...nothing of importance to do. It was done in a very human manner. It was also cool seeing some of the younger heroes who had very little to no presence in the new 52 appear. The only thing that I flat out didn't like about the issue was the fact that it advertised on its solicit that Donna Troy was going to be there.....and she's not, it's almost like a "Bait-&-Switch" and I'm not very fond of that because I was looking forward to seeing her.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Will pick

Blackice709

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

gaaaaaaaaaay! just like alexis luthor said

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked a slice of life story it's a nice change of pace.

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

#6  Edited By SaintWildcard
    Avatar image for deactivated-5fbfd5d291164
    deactivated-5fbfd5d291164

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard: Why is review in quotation marks? And I'll have it up by the end of the day.

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

'Twas an enjoyable read

Loved seeing Pieter pop up for a few panels

SmashBrawler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By SmashBrawler

My god, this issue was such a nostalgia trip. I started reading DC (and comic books in general) during the late 90's so those versions of these characters are the ones I grew up with: Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, hook and beard Aquaman... even mullet and electric Superman, two versions of the character I can't stop riffing, hold a special place in my nostalgic heart. Having Morrison write Kyle and Wally again, or even seeing characters like Max Mercury, Bloodwynd and Argus again made this issue a real treat for me.

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

#11  Edited By Thor_Ul

90's nostalgia.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

This issue was more fan-service, than story. 2 out of 5 for me.

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

@thor_ul said:

90's nostalgia.

Yeah pretty much.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@johnny_blaze: Huh? It furthered the story a Lot more then the last one.

JJ_Was_Here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

They lied Donna Troy was not in this.

I would love for all the Multiversities title to become running series instead of another damn Batman related title.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

It was a bit boring for me.

Captain13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Felt more like an idea for a universe than an actual story.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Damian Wayne + Alexis Luthor ! Wow

noj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

Loved this issue. Multiversity is just plain awesome

Thor_Ul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 44

I would love for all the Multiversities title to become running series instead of another damn Batman related title.

Maybe Donna was ther but we didn't saw her.

And yes, a series in a parallel world would be sweet.

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thor_ul said:

@justice_teen said:

Maybe Donna was ther but we didn't saw her.

And yes, a series in a parallel world would be sweet.

@thor_ul: Artemis replaced Wonder Woman, Also I scan every page hard and did not see her.

kazekaine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Felt more like an idea for a universe than an actual story.

Thats kinda the point

ForeverMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm loving Multiversity. This was my least favourite issue so far, but I still think it deserves a 4 star rating.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was one of the books that I was most worried about coming into it. Either it would land Morrison as a God among other writers or would seriously slow down the overall story. Thankfully it hits more former than latter and makes me REALLY want an issue #2 of this series (and the last, and like the reviewer stated, probably the rest too)

Some very interesting stuff done in this book, one thing specifically is that it's a time-shifted alternate reality which is rare for Multiverse story-lines.

Can't wait to read the rest of this series!

RustyRoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

My god, this issue was such a nostalgia trip. I started reading DC (and comic books in general) during the late 90's so those versions of these characters are the ones I grew up with: Wally West, Kyle Rayner, Connor Hawke, hook and beard Aquaman... even mullet and electric Superman, two versions of the character I can't stop riffing, hold a special place in my nostalgic heart. Having Morrison write Kyle and Wally again, or even seeing characters like Max Mercury, Bloodwynd and Argus again made this issue a real treat for me.

This. Loved this issue, 5/5 for me.

ReverendHunt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait this is Earth-16? I thought the Young Justice TV show was Earth-16.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Surprised no one's mentioned that there's a white Wally West in this.

Anyway, I was too excited for this book, didn't live up to my expectations, but still good. 4 out of 5 for me.

primebonnick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was disappointed it was meh but ms alexis luthor though now that is a dame worth killing for.

J_HickmanIsGod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i think i need to start pulling this title, so i dont miss out

did not know #2 let alone #3 came out already...

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It was okay issue

Avatar image for dark_vengeance_
    Dark_Vengeance_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

What are you talking about? Batman barely appeared on the first two issue.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I really want an else world's title now it would be cool if each issue focuses on gaslight universe or red son. And longer story arcs . that will be awesome and I think DC is testing the waters and will restart else world's after multiversity ends

justice teen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@dark_vengeance_: Thats not what I said. What I am saying is I would rather make all Multiveristy's books into running series instead of releasing batman related books. Like Batman eternal, Red hood,Greyson, Catwoman, and Arkham Academy.

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Guerraa

This was the best of all the Multiversity titles so far although they've all been good. Really enjoying this. Getting a little tired of hearing all the hate towards the Bat titles, especially since most are really good. The only bad one was Catwoman, which now has a new writer and is really good again for the first time since Winick left. The only one left that's not very good often times is Batman Superman, which doesn't even fall under the Bat family of titles since it has a different group editor. Also, they canceled Batman the Dark Knight, Nightwing, Batwing, Birds of Prey, and Talon recently so not sure why the haters keep complaining.

I'm loving Multiversity so far, but sorry it's not as good as Batman, Batman and Robin, Grayson, among others. There's a reason for the many Bat titles. They're better than most other books out there, and the characters tend to be more interesting and definitely more relatable than most others. Just my opinion.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.