gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

This latest self-contained chapter of THE MULTIVERSITY is more than just another comic. It's an experience. THE MULTIVERSITY has been giving us looks at different "Earths" in DC's Multiverse. There's a few things that really makes this one stand out, one of them being Frank Quitely teaming up with Grant Morrison once again.

Quitely's style really brings a unique vibe to the story. Starting out with the assassination of the President, the panel layout Morrison set up gives it all such a great feel. Along with Nathan Fairbairn's colors, the art and characters are breathtaking. Especially with so many small panels, you'll find yourself stopping to stare and admire all the details in each one.

Morrison's focus this time around is Earth-4. This is the home of the Charlton Comics characters DC acquired and who were the inspiration for Alan Moore and Dave Gibbons' WATCHMEN. Seeing them here made me realized how much I'd love to see more. I had some skepticism when this was first announced but it's all pretty fantastic.

The theme of the story is fascinating as well. The idea of using violence to achieve peace isn't anything new. It does come across in a haunting way that captures your attention.

The Bad

This comic might not be for everyone. The fact that we're just getting one-shot glimpses into these other worlds may cause some confusion as to what the bigger story is. The story is a little bleak and heavy but that's how it's supposed to be. You'll likely want to read it again just to take it all in, especially with the way the story unfolds.

The Verdict

This is the MULTIVERSITY issue you've been waiting for. Grant Morrison and Frank Quitely are together again to give us a heavy and intriguing story. This is a comic you'll want to read more than once. There's a lot to take in. The way the story unwinds along with the art and colors, it's something you'll want to see more of. With an interesting take on familiar characters, you won't want to miss this one.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Love this issue. Truly homage to Watchmen :) Also I want to know what Alan Moore thinks of this issue if he ever read it since you know sometimes Alan Moore like to praise people , sometimes he like to complaint

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Yeeeeessssss 5 stars. Can't wait to read.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Can't wait to get this.

You guys are going to review Supergirl right? because I'm hoping more people will start buying it now that she has a new team.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

So this is why Jupiters Legacy 5 has been pretty heavily delayed, even more so than some of the other issues. I really wanna read this just for the Quietly art, hopefully a nice trade for multiversity comes out eventually

Avatar image for deactivated-5c901e667a76c
    deactivated-5c901e667a76c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

I liked the first issue of this, but I've been losing interest with each subsequent one.

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The trade for this will be insane. It will be one of the top trades in a long time with it's distinct styles and stories. The only thing that's similar is The Return of Bruce Wayne which doesn't hold a candle to Multiversity with it's execution.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone: Return of Bruce Wayne is good story. Well I get that someone don't like the crazy story that is homage to Silver Age Batman

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Next issue is THUNDERWORLD !!! Can't wait

pinecone1510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: It is great. i just meant it shared a similar concept with every issue mostly being a unique one-shot. I just meant Multiversity is a much more ambitious version of that.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pinecone: yup agree. What people don't understand about Grant Morrison writing is that the way he construct story and the phasing of the story is different from modern comicbook writers.

I get some people don't like Morrison writing because it is kind you don't understand if you read the book for first time. You have to read the book over and over again you so you understand what the story is all about

Avatar image for shadowswordmaster
    ShadowSwordmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

User Lists: 13

I have been enjoying these issue and this one maybe one of the best.

Avatar image for thecowwasdelirious
    thecowwasdelirious

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

My body has been ready for this for a month. COME TO PAPA

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I've always wanted a Watchmen story with the proper characters.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

5 stars???i This issue was so confusing, i get watchmen homage but I was lost through out the whole issue. But I'm really looking forward to is Captain thunder.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

I can't read this until tomorrow because of a shipping delay at my comic shop. I was already pretty excited and this is just making it worse.

BigUlf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BigUlf

Anyone who says that Quitely's other work has been delayed because of this (I don't read Jupiter's Legacy, for example)...this script has been ready for years. I know Quitely takes his time with his style, but I don't think we can blame any delay for his other work on this issue.

PS: yes this book is incredible.

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forgot to pick this up

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@holyserpent: I just want to ask...do you read this issue of Pax Americana, backwards or forwards ?

slade_wilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#19  Edited By slade_wilson

Good god this was amazing

Loved every panel

JSAVen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By JSAVen

Bloody-Disgusting , this is not Earth - 4, (look at COIE, that`s the real deal)

Where are the Charlton Heroes? not here, no sir.

WATCHMEN 2.0 withoutMoore's geniality

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Boynerdgeek

@jsaven: well don't you read solicits and see preview ?...it is expected to be this kind of watchmen

Knowledge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

5 stars???i This issue was so confusing, i get watchmen homage but I was lost through out the whole issue. But I'm really looking forward to is Captain thunder.

Kerrigan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This was superb. Multiversity has been good every issue, but this was the best DC or Marvel comic of the year. Morrison's something else when he really lets it rip.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Fastestmanalive

@captainmarvel4ever Now this we can agree on. Besides for Wonder Woman I thought I would give Supergirl a try since it also got a new creative team and new direction.

And it was awesome. I'm really liking this superhero academy thing. And Kara's new costume is cool as well.

I hope you read it, if not I highly recommend it.

4 stars for me.

jaybefre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I felt the exact same way. Went back and reread this issue twice. Still lost. So far the Society of Superheroes one shot with Doc Fate has been the best, IMO.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive said:

@captainmarvel4ever Now this we can agree on. Besides for Wonder Woman I thought I would give Supergirl a try since it also got a new creative team and new direction.

And it was awesome. I'm really liking this superhero academy thing. And Kara's new costume is cool as well.

I hope you read it, if not I highly recommend it.

4 stars for me.

I just did, and so far it's been the best book I've read (I still have a few more ton work through, but it set a high bar). Be sure to spread the word because Supergirl is a book many people overlook, and I would hate for people to miss it now that it's heading in such a bright direction.

Avatar image for fastestmanalive
    Fastestmanalive

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever Will definitely let people know this is the book to get. Too bad there's no review for it on here.

Was my second favorite book this week. Top books for me today were.. 1. Batman/Superman 2. Supergirl 3. Superman/Wonder Woman.

What were yours?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fastestmanalive: Well I couldn't get everything I wanted at the shop and I still have a ton of stuff to read, but my top picks so far are Teen Titans Earth One, Multiversity, and of course Supergirl.

King_Kenobi62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Pretty good issue. I felt like I was reading Watchmen again but I'll admit I did have to take my time reading this one, which is fine it just got a bit confusing at points for me. Looking forward to next issue for sure.

Kal'smahboi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Kal'smahboi

I loved every panel of this issue, but there's so much. It took me an hour to read and I'll probably have to read it a couple more times just to get everything out of it.

5/5

Mrnoital

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this issue, and I'm lucky cause I walked out the store and before I walked a block I remembered that this was coming out and I somehow forgot it (strange how you can remember that you forgot something)

anyways, really loving the multiversity

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

@jaybefre said:

@holyserpent said:

I felt the exact same way. Went back and reread this issue twice. Still lost. So far the Society of Superheroes one shot with Doc Fate has been the best, IMO.

yep I felt the same way also, lol. I'm still confused and I'm a huge Watchmen fan. I can never understand Grant Morrison. He is such a crazy writer lol. I don't know how so many people ACTUALLY UNDERSTOOD it and also loved it.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@madeinbangladesh: I think I know how you don't understand Grant Morrison comics...I think you read the dialogue too fast. I suggest you takes times to read the dialogue. Also Grant Morrison comics is not almost 100% depends on the dialogue like modern era comics, Grant Morrison comics feels like Jack Kirby comics where you have to look at the art, look at the background, look at visual. It is not entirely dialogue. It has mix of visual to tell the story

Avatar image for tearofthedragon
    TearoftheDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek: Agreed, if they are still confused they could read the page order back to front.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#35  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

@madeinbangladesh: I think I know how you don't understand Grant Morrison comics...I think you read the dialogue too fast. I suggest you takes times to read the dialogue. Also Grant Morrison comics is not almost 100% depends on the dialogue like modern era comics, Grant Morrison comics feels like Jack Kirby comics where you have to look at the art, look at the background, look at visual. It is not entirely dialogue. It has mix of visual to tell the story

Yea that's probably it. I still don't really get it. But whatever. Everything I read from Morrison so far, I just don;t like it or end up being bored. I guess his style is just not for me.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Randomtask

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@boynerdgeek Hey know i'm late to these comments but whatever. I'm not sure if you're joking about what would Alan Moore think? He would undoubtedly describe it as the worst thing he has ever seen.

Xframe29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Can someone explain this issue to me? I mean I loved it but I did not get why the president got killed in the first place and what was going on. Somebody please explain?

Guerraa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm disappointed to see that so many people liked this. I hated it and found it to be easily the worst of all the Multiversity issues so far. The last one (The Just) was the best so far, although all of them were better than this one in my opinion. Morrison has been hit or miss with me. When he's good, he's good. But when he's bad, I find myself wishing the issue would end like I did with this one.

RybackStun93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

THUNDERWORLD IS NEXT! CAN NOT WAIT!

Anyway, this was a weird read. Definitely need to read it again (maybe more than just again) to look at all the little details. This might be the most disjointed issue in the series so far as there is no defined beginning or end and no real explanation for anything that is going on in the book.

Hoping these stories get some sort of resolution in the end or expansion after the event.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Quitely's best art ever. Kudos to him.

tim_mik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

@jaybefre: right with you guys. i have accepted that i will 'get' and 'like' Morrison about 30% of the time and from the second i saw this cover, i knew it wasn't going to work this time. looking forward to the next issue though and have loved the previous ones.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Someone explain the backwards reading to me. Do you read the panels in the opposite order or the speech bubbles or both? Do you start at the end or the beginning of the book?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.