lostlantern13's The Mighty Avengers #34 - Pre-Siege Mentality review

The Wheels On The Bus Fall Off

Over the past few months, I have been expecting all the Avengers titles to step up their game as their current runs wind down. Oddly enough, it's been the book that was initially criticized as a bunch of D-listers thrown together (Slott has a little joke about that in this issue) that has shined recently - as well as overall. I don't know where Dan Slott goes from here, but I can only hope it's the Avengers Academy or another prominent book as he has really surpassed a lot of initial expectations about this book.
     Since Secret Invasion , the focus of this book has been Hank Pym and Scarlet Witch/Loki. These threads play out wonderfully here. I'll refrain from saying anything spoilery, but everything in this issue makes sense from a character standpoint. I know some people have remarked on Pym's growing arrogance, but it really pays off at the end of this issue. Slott really does a great job of capturing these characters.
     The art of Neil Edwards leaves something to be desired. I don't know why, but the faces feel a bit off, the colors seem oddly muted, and the repeated angled view just seemed a bit uninspired. An Avengers book should be bold and dynamic, but this isn't. It's not bad, but it's not as good as I've seen previous in the book.
     Overall, The Mighty Avengers book has met my expectations. We have some big things happening here, these year-plus long plot lines being carried out, and some great characterization. The art leaves something to be desired, but I'm glad that an Avengers book seems to be ending with a bang.