MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By MissJ

The Good

The fifteenth issue of MANHATTAN PROJECTS is the second of the "Finite Oppenheimers" issues; it's a brief departure from the main story, but because Oppenheimer is just so fascinating, it doesn't feel like an interruption. In truth, the war within Oppenheimer's mind could be a series of its own; while the rest of the project team brings balance and charm to the series, he's got enough going on upstairs to fuel a whole omnibus.

It's rare to see a series shift artists and lose absolutely zero visual consistency. I am stunned by the lack of interruption as the issue swaps out Nick Pitarra for Ryan Browne for the second Oppenheimer interlude; MANHATTAN PROJECTS is going to be all the more beautiful in collected form. This isn't to say that Browne doesn't bring his own style to the book -- he certainly does -- but both of his issues to date have solidly locked in on the MP aesthetic.

Issue #15 is a story of escalation; the not-real war happening in not-time in Oppenheimer's mind is a brilliant backdrop for a shift in the mad scientist's personality. Concessions are being made, hard lessons are being learned, and it's impossible to empathize with either Joseph or Robert, because they're not entirely unlike each other by the end of the battle. While the "Finite Oppenheimer" breaks may appear to be mere palate cleansers, they actually accomplish a great deal towards the advancement of the larger story -- they're an incredibly micro peek into why Oppenheimer is doing what he's doing, and, given the last few issues, that's valuable information.

The Bad

Nitpick Patrol time: when the Blues become "learned," they talk in equations -- but they're talking in basic algebraic statements that aren't balanced. If the purpose of the Blues' newfound intelligence is to have a cerebral advantage over the Reds, I'd hope that they'd have a more stringent algebra teacher.

The Verdict

This series continues to hold its own entirely unique position in the Image lineup, bringing rich and unpredictable new stories month after month. The interior of Oppenheimer's brain is a storytelling goldmine, and even these issues that take small breaks from the primary narrative are thoroughly fascinating. The book's visual consistency, throughout the primary arc and carrying into these fill-in issues, is a high point, especially because it's artistically unlike anything else on the shelves. MANHATTAN PROJECTS remains a must-pull series.

microwave25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

I dunno, I'm starting to get a little impatient with Manhattan Projects. The plot development isn't moving at the greatest pace and I'm struggling to attach myself to any character. Yes the alternative, high-concept story that Hickman is presenting is original and interesting but it's beginning to wear a little thin and I need something to keep me attached.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

#2  Edited By MadeinBangladesh

the cover is psychedelic!

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Another delightfully twisted issue of MP.

Avatar image for thefirstlantern
    TheFirstLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 2

Man I have got to catch up.

Avatar image for spinningbirdcake
    spinningbirdcake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By spinningbirdcake

This was great. Though there was one panel with a blue slicing two other blues in half. Thought that was weird. The ending was fantastic.

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So is every 5 issues gonna be about Oppenheimer?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.