Heroic Age...well that was fun while it lasted...

Posted by Gold Dust Boi (516 posts) - - Show Bio

Remember a year and a half ago when Marvel made all sorts of promises to us?  Mutant Unity? The Avengers together? A new Captain America? and last, but certainly not least, no more all encompassing crossovers?

Well here we are 13-15 months later (depending on the series) and all but one of these promises have fallen apart.  Schism is about to crack the mutant nation Utopia wide open and give us two teams of X-men, that are working more against each other with each other, according to my articles I've read.  Not to mention that it looks like their public admiration is at an end as the Sentinels are sicced on them again.  And to be honest, when I saw Captain Ameribucky get gunned down during a recent issue of Fear Itself I thought we were going to see some out there miraculous save, but according to all the Captain America #1 promos I've been seeing in the back of many June issues, this seems to not be the case.  It would appear that Bucky is truly dead, again, and Steve Rogers Super Soldiers is once again taking up the stars and stripes of Captain America.  And, then we have the crossovers...what is there to say?  After the insane deluge of comics involved with Civil War, Secret Invasion and Dark Reign, we were promised no more company wide events like them for a good while.   

Enter: the Chaos War.  Not quite as all inclusive as its predecessors, but even still it used a few key characters in the Marvel Universe and had more then one or two limited series/one-shots.  And now we have Fear Itself.  A megalomaniacal mama of a cross over that involved EVERYONE in the Marvel Universe, except the X-men, at least not yet, who have their own problems (and somehow Wolverine is involved with both), and comes complete with one-shot, limited series, and guest peppered just enough through all of them to make us HAVE to buy them all.  

It just seems like all the promises we were made about this supposed Heroic Age either didn't happen or ended so quickly that if you blinked you missed it.  We are back sliding into the same old thing that SORTA worked before rather then sticking to the new ideas and try to come up with more ways to keep things fresh.  I was really excited about all the things we were told that were happening in the Heroic Age and I was even happier that it wasn't a solid storyline that you needed to follow in every book but could just follow in your favorites as well as being a great place to pick up new on new books (I only started regularly reading the Avengers during the Heroic Age).  And while it seems like the Avengers pretty much stick with status quo after Fear Itself, everything else just feels like an old rut that Marvel's falling into.

#1 Posted by JediXMan (29545 posts) - - Show Bio

It's Marvel.

#2 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#3 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#4 Posted by Billy Batson (57753 posts) - - Show Bio

lol @ Marvel. 

BB

#5 Posted by TheCerealKillz (10266 posts) - - Show Bio
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#6 Posted by War Killer (19963 posts) - - Show Bio
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#7 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio
@War Killer said:
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#8 Posted by Matezoide2 (15994 posts) - - Show Bio
@thegreatfour said:
@War Killer said:
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#9 Posted by texasdeathmatch (13171 posts) - - Show Bio

F Marvel. I've moved on to Image.

#10 Posted by buttersdaman000 (9437 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha Marvel, you so silly

#11 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio

technically the whole "New Captain America" thing happened a good 2 years before the heroic age
#12 Posted by Shadow_Thief (2509 posts) - - Show Bio

They're a corporation. You didn't actually expect them to keep their promises once they had what they wanted from you, did you?

#13 Posted by Mercy_ (92502 posts) - - Show Bio

@Matezoide said:

@thegreatfour said:
@War Killer said:
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
Moderator Online
#14 Posted by RisingBean (3570 posts) - - Show Bio

If it pisses you off, don't buy the stuff. When enough people complain with their wallets, the people who want your money are more apt to listen.
#15 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#16 Posted by NexusOfLight (1715 posts) - - Show Bio

In other news, Fear Itself is turning out to be surprisingly good.

#17 Posted by danhimself (22278 posts) - - Show Bio
@NexusOfLight said:
really??  I've read all of the tie in's and not one of them was what I would call "good"....it definitely could have been more self contained....it was only supposed to be a Captain America and Thor story anyway
#18 Posted by sithfrog (909 posts) - - Show Bio

Before we throw too many stones at Marvel...DC is just as guilty.   
#19 Posted by Gold Dust Boi (516 posts) - - Show Bio
@sithfrog said:
MORE SO!!! :) LOL

@danhimself  
@NexusOfLight said:
really??  I've read all of the tie in's and not one of them was what I would call "good"....it definitely could have been more self contained....it was only supposed to be a Captain America and Thor story anyway
I dont know...its definitely leaps and bounds better then I was expecting it to be but there are also definitely too many tie-ins that seemed like that didn't need to happen.  A bit more self-containment for this story would certainly have done it a world of good.
#20 Posted by TheGoldenOne (38849 posts) - - Show Bio
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
This >_>
#21 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

lol you actually believed that crap?! its marvel, all they know now is crossovers, its the only way they think they can change team rosters now. Instead of simply saying oh hawkeye went to Aruba or Hulks fighting aliens in an alternate demensions hell, they have to make a huge meaningless, and often boring crossover to give their teams "new blood" and create new rosters. 

marvel has been in a creative rut for years, they got lucky with civil war, but everything since then has been a steaming pile. 

And yet i still read it and refuse to read DC...
#22 Posted by BlackRoseTessa (59 posts) - - Show Bio

one of the many reasons im more in to  dc now lol
#23 Posted by The_Warlord (1777 posts) - - Show Bio
@The Dark Huntress said:

@Matezoide said:

@thegreatfour said:
@War Killer said:
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#24 Posted by Gold Dust Boi (516 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackRoseTessa: I just never got into DC, something about their characters and stories just never grabbed me...like as fun as Superman and Batman are in movies, I couldn't read 5 or 6 comics about them like I do about X-men and no get bored to tears...  I did pick up the entire KnightFall/Quest/End and Superman Death/Funeral/Rebirth storylines years ago but thats about all.
#25 Posted by BlackRoseTessa (59 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gold Dust Boi

i used to collect all teh spiderman , xmen ,avengers and deadpool but got so bored , then gave gl a chance with trades , now got all teh trades after rebirth . i dont even like spcae stories normaly lol .   i love anything  geoff johns done , and loved 52 , so now im more in 2 dc lol  
#26 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32672 posts) - - Show Bio
@BlackRoseTessa said:
@Gold Dust Boi: i used to collect all teh spiderman , xmen ,avengers and deadpool but got so bored , then gave gl a chance with trades , now got all teh trades after rebirth . i dont even like spcae stories normaly lol .   i love anything  geoff johns done , and loved 52 , so now im more in 2 dc lol  
#27 Posted by azza04 (1503 posts) - - Show Bio

Gone off Marvel. DC is where the future of Comics lies.

#28 Posted by blackspider2020 (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:
If it pisses you off, don't buy the stuff. When enough people complain with their wallets, the people who want your money are more apt to listen.
this
#29 Posted by labarith (670 posts) - - Show Bio

Meanwhile DC is resetting it's universe. 

Which would you prefer?

#30 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18820 posts) - - Show Bio
@Love said:
@The Dark Huntress said:

@Matezoide said:

@thegreatfour said:
@War Killer said:
@TheCerealKillz said:
@Dracade102 said:
@difficlus said:
@JediXMan said:
It's Marvel.
#31 Posted by thegreatfour (12967 posts) - - Show Bio
@xxCellPhoneGirlxx: We're still doing this are we?
#32 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18820 posts) - - Show Bio
@thegreatfour: I couldn't control myself lol :P
#33 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32672 posts) - - Show Bio
@labarith said:
Meanwhile DC is resetting it's universe.  Which would you prefer?
well there not really resetting it
#34 Posted by JediXMan (29545 posts) - - Show Bio
@sithfrog said:
Not really. While DC will piss you off half as much, you'll get better stories.
#35 Posted by MrUnknown (1700 posts) - - Show Bio

It wasn't going to last forever anyways.

#36 Posted by Omega Ray Jay (7580 posts) - - Show Bio

I follow what I want to and take little interest in these events, sometimes you don't even notice them going on.

#37 Posted by Amegashita (3601 posts) - - Show Bio

This is why I read One Piece.  No crossovers and no empty promises.

#38 Posted by Timandm (3374 posts) - - Show Bio
@RisingBean said:
I hate to agree with this but....Absolutely right....

@sithfrog said:

Oh, I have plenty of stones for both... 

@Gold Dust Boi
To continue reading comics without TOO MUCH disappointment, we probably have to accept the way they change history, undo good things, and often lie about their upcoming events and stories...  The way people who watch Soap Operas accept the unbelievably stupid things that happen in soap operas.
#39 Posted by IceCreamMikey (13 posts) - - Show Bio
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
technically the whole "New Captain America" thing happened a good 2 years before the heroic age 
And now its happening again.
#40 Posted by War Killer (19963 posts) - - Show Bio

The day Marvel starts actually caring about giving us honest to good quality stories and actually sticking to the decisions they make instead of just reverting back to the same old status que is the day that Aunt May finally dies and stays dead..... -___-

#41 Posted by Avenging-X-Bolt (12512 posts) - - Show Bio
@icecreammikey said:
@Avenging-X-Bolt said:
And now its happening again.

yes and no

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.