I really liked the review I wrote for VNU, so here it is.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

I wrote this for the VNU site, and feel more people should read it.... and the book. Enjoy.

Let's face it, this book couldn't go on forever, no way. The story was told, that's it. I'm glad it was only 5 issues, any more would have been tedious. We get a lot of back story on Jeb in this issue, including how he came to have a black descendant and why he is cursed to forever appear in battle to help his bloodline. Great explanation, great storytelling. For me, this is the best mini-series I've read in a long time and one of the most fun Vertigo books on the shelf. The artist team of Flint (pencils and inks) and Loughridge (colors) really brings Marraffino's writing together. This book says a lot about our current culture and views on the middle east, and it shows in pretty good detail what it is like to be a soldier in this "war". I don't know from personal experience, but my friends who did serve in Iraq & Afghanistan tell similar tales.

Look, I recommend a lot of books on this site and review quite a bit where I tell you, "Why are you reading this? Buy the book!" But lets break it down, this isn't a super-hero book. This isn't a crime-drama. This isn't a love story. It's a study. A study of our culture and the culture of war. the "crazy" things that happen in this book happen to all (not just Americans) the soldiers in the middle east and we tend to forget that or we become desensitized to it because of all the garbage "news". This book takes us there, even with all the silliness of an old racist ghost. To understand what they go through, you need to read this book, but don't worry, it's a highly entertaining read.

~InferiorEgo~
    Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#1  Edited By Darkchild

Nice, ill have to read the comic.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

#2  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

It's one of my favorites over at Vertigo

Darkchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#3  Edited By Darkchild

Really? Nice

Im a bigger fan of their olderstuff, havnt updated my list or pull list of Verts for a while. Just been ordering older issues an comics

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.