Follow

The Green Hornet

Character » The Green Hornet appears in 400 issues.

Green Hornet, with his sidekick Kato, use martial arts as well different weapons like gas guns to fight crime, riding in their car the "Black Beauty."

Martial Artist Stephen Chow Drops 'The Green Hornet'

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_
    The Green Hornet and Kato
    The Green Hornet and Kato
    The more I hear about Seth Rogen's ' The Green Hornet,' film; the more I become disappointed. For those of you who are unfamiliar with the series, you may be unfamiliar with the character of the Green Hornet's sidekick, Kato. Generally, sidekick's do not receive the kind of exposure that Kato does, but most sidekick's are not played by master martial artist Bruce Lee. Since the rumors began brewing surrounding Seth Rogen's film, word was leaked that  actor Stephen Chow, heralding from Shanghai, would play the role of Kato. The popular Chinese actor who has admired Bruce Lee most of his life and
     Stephen Chow
     Stephen Chow
    has extensive training in Wing Chun, (one of Lee's martial arts specialties,) has apparently dropped out of the film. According to SpoilerTv discovered an open casting call for the role of Kato in the upcoming film which is looking for "a non-specific Asian, [which] no longer require[s] any martial arts experience."

While on the surface this news may seem minor, it reveals a lot about what we can expect from Rogen's film. Kato's character was originally portrayed by one of the greatest martial artists to ever perform on film. This leaves much to be expected of Kato's character. If Rogen is searching for any individual of Asian decent, and no longer requires that the individual have martial arts experience, then I feel that this film will be a poor reflection of what 'The Green Hornet' was all about. What are your thoughts? I personally am very skeptical about the future of this film, especially hearing this news.
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By danhimself

sounds like they're trying to turn it into a typical Rogen film

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By ARMIV

Then I will not see this.

IGMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By IGMAN

A NON-MARTIAL ARTIST AS KATO? RIGHHHHHHHHHHHT..... IF IT JUST GOING TO BE A STRAIGHT COMEDY/ACTION, BOBBY LEE FROM MAD TV SHOULD BE KATO.... ROGEN/LEE=FUNNY+MICHAEL BAY EXPLOSIVES......HAHAHA!

Deo Wade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By Deo Wade

I just lost alot of respect for Seth Rogen.

HarryF25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HarryF25

I will probably rent this when it comes out

QURebel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6  Edited By QURebel

Hmmm no Stephen Chow or asians with martial arts experience?Already looks bunz...

Green ankh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

#7  Edited By Green ankh

What a let down. Once comic film just start to head in the right direction this one may let us down. Kato is what makes Green hornet different. It is bad enough that seth is Hornet.

Kind of like Depp being tonto

TheBug

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8  Edited By TheBug

I don't think I'm going to see it now.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#9  Edited By Decept-O

I agree with you 100% Babs.  I mean, the TV show may have been slightly cheesy and all but at least it had action, adventure, and Martial Arts by the legendary Bruce Lee.  The fact no Martial Arts are required and the fact Mr. Chow bowed out (wisely) stinks.

I was initially disappointed to learn Rogen  was involved now my disappointment has been increased exponentially.  How is it even remotely possible to screw up the Green Hornet?  Seriously? 

It's a known fact Rogen is an admitted dope smoker.  Looks like all that weed has clouded his judgment.  Granted some humor in a Green Hornet movie will be nice but seriously, to camp it up and make it a possible stoner type comedy really blows chunks.  Major frikkin' chunks.  Let's all disrespect Bruce Lee some more.   Mr. Chow did the right thing too bad he won't be involved. 

DarkCanuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By DarkCanuck

Rogan is a funny dude but I wasn't too keen on the idea of him as Green Hornet in the first place. Stephen Chow as Kato would have been the full redeeming factor but without Chow, this movie will probably be garbage. I'd actually like to see Chow take full command of a Green Hornet movie. I think he could do a far better job than Rogan.

Joe Venom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By Joe Venom

They might as well get Rob Snyder to play Kato then this movie will be real a real joke. Stephen Chow can do way better movies then this anyway.

Tyler Starke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Tyler Starke

I never really expected Chow to play this role in the first place, He's big on only playing and or directing somthing that he's orginaly written. This movie is going to suck, I'll catch it on hbo or showtime at 3 in the morning one day I'm sure.

Citizen 14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Citizen 14

Lame. I lost some interest now.

Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Bruce Vain

"[which] no longer require[s] any martial arts experience" - This right here should tell Seth to just stop trying to make this film work. As soon as I heard that he was gonna be behind the production of the movie &  STAR!! as the Green Hornet. I knew this film was gonna be a disaster right from the getgo.

As much as I love Adam West's Batman show, I always thought the Green Hornet show was far more superior then Batman's show. Maybe cause it didn't have that campiness like West's show. Sucks the show was only on for 1 season.

I wish those guys who did that fan film I posted do the Green Hornet movie & not Rogen lol

Colt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#15  Edited By Colt

first off seth rogen isnt the casting agent. second off, if that ad is true (which i doubt) no martial arts experience would probably mean theyve already got a double for action scenes. third stephen chow dropped out months ago. i dont want to say anything bad until i see footage because as far as i know seth rogen loves the green hornet and is very serious and committed to the role. its not easy to drop 50 lbs.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

yeah i wasn't gonna see this before, now I'm just flat out not even going to rent this.

dondasch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By dondasch

Having Seth Rogen direct a film is bad enough.  The idea that  "a non-specific Asian, [which] no longer require[s] any martial arts experience." would even be considered for the role of Kato is mind numbing.  Seth Rogen should stick with comedy and stay away from the Green Hornet and Kato where it is obvious that he has no clue what he is doing.  Yet another example of a director not paying attention to the source material.

iLLituracy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By iLLituracy

NO! WHY'D STEPHEN CHOW DROP THIS?!

MadLucied

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By MadLucied

I'll probably go see it, just because.... so long as I don't have to pay for it of course.

Toybox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Toybox
    You guy's all act like you know Seth Rogan he's a big fan of hornet and could do a good job and your all writing it off before there's even any footage. People could be this judgemental about us and be like why do all these comic fans know anything about movies, or TV shows for that matter. He has always done comedy but i think he could still do a good job with it.
    kittenpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By kittenpride

Are you kidding me?!
    "a non-specific Asian, [which] no longer require[s] any martial arts experience."
    WTH!

At least in the beginning Stephen gave it some potential, but now this doesn't even sound like a rental to me!

SUNMAN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#22  Edited By SUNMAN

Movies gonna suck now. Just wait for it to hit HBO

Media_Master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Media_Master

bad choice

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By No_Name_
    @Toybox said:
    "
    You guy's all act like you know Seth Rogan he's a big fan of hornet and could do a good job and your all writing it off before there's even any footage. People could be this judgemental about us and be like why do all these comic fans know anything about movies, or TV shows for that matter. He has always done comedy but i think he could still do a good job with it.
    "
    Okay, I can respect that....except for the fact that Kato was originally portrayed by one of the greatest martial artists of all time and now they are not even requiring that the actor that would portray him have a background in martial arts? Are you kidding me?
    No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By No_Name_
    @Colt said:
    " first off seth rogen isnt the casting agent. second off, if that ad is true (which i doubt) no martial arts experience would probably mean theyve already got a double for action scenes. third stephen chow dropped out months ago. i dont want to say anything bad until i see footage because as far as i know seth rogen loves the green hornet and is very serious and committed to the role. its not easy to drop 50 lbs. "
    FYI Stephen Chow dropped as the film director a month ago, but he was still set to play Kato until yesterday.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By NightFang3

That sucks!

Nova`Prime`

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Nova`Prime`

I have little faith in a Seth Rogen Green Hornet movie. Hopefully this dies and joins that horrible rumor that Jack Black wanted to make a comedic Green Lantern movie.

Colt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By Colt
    @Babs said:
    " @Colt said:
    " first off seth rogen isnt the casting agent. second off, if that ad is true (which i doubt) no martial arts experience would probably mean theyve already got a double for action scenes. third stephen chow dropped out months ago. i dont want to say anything bad until i see footage because as far as i know seth rogen loves the green hornet and is very serious and committed to the role. its not easy to drop 50 lbs. "
    FYI Stephen Chow dropped as the film director a month ago, but he was still set to play Kato until yesterday. "
    hmmm... that must be what i was thinking of..

@dondasch said:
    " Having Seth Rogen direct a film is bad enough.  "
    seth rogen isnt directing, hes writing. and from what i've heard he's a big fan of the source material. i think he's smart enough to do the green hornet well. hes definitely attached himself very strongly. michael gondry is directing and also seems very sensible and respectful to the source material. 

im not ready to give up on this film yet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.