Mark Waid to Write GREEN HORNET in 2013

Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

New York Comic Con usually means big announcements in comics. It doesn't start until Thursday but Dynamite Entertainment is rolling out the announcements out early. We've been told that Mark Waid is getting ready to start working on his first Dynamite series, THE GREEN HORNET in 2013.

Here's what Waid had to say:

It should come as little surprise that I have an affinity for all costumed crimefighters no matter if their adventures are 'period pieces' or not--heroism is heroism regardless of whatever year's on the calendar. With this Green Hornet project, which I've been percolating on for more than ten years, I'm able to meld my love of the Hornet's legacy with a little bit of Citizen Kane and a lot of Lawrence of Arabia to tell a story never before told--the dark years of the Hornet's later career and the one mistake he makes that nearly costs him everything.

Dynamite also announced that Paolo Rivera, who has worked with Waid on DAREDEVIL, will be drawing the covers for the series.

I wasn't very familiar with The Green Hornet growing up, but I always thought he looked sleek and stylish - I guess I had a soft spot for old-school heroes. I later discovered that he was designed by H. J. Ward, my favorite painter of all time. The more I learned about Ward, the more I learned about Britt Reid and Kato, including Reid's familial ties to The Lone Ranger. I can't wait to render my interpretation of the green team. That, and I miss Mark Waid.

Dynamite has been after Waid pretty much since they started. Each time they talked, Waid's schedule was full. Now everything is lining up. 2013 sounds like it's a ways off but it's really not too far away.

What do you think about Waid taking on the original Green Hornet?

Staff
#1 Posted by saoakden (1011 posts) - - Show Bio

Sounds awesome.

#2 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

Phew, I almost thought Mark Waid is going to write Green Lantern. I can continue reading my Green Lantern now. Dodged a bullet there.

#3 Posted by Shika1Dude (111 posts) - - Show Bio

Fantastic news for Green Hornet, deserves a stellar writer and artist. Im definately picking it up :)

#4 Posted by Lvenger (17887 posts) - - Show Bio

What's wrong with Waid? He's an awesome writer. GL would be lucky to have him. Not that Johns' run has n't been fantastic.

#5 Posted by longbowhunter (6621 posts) - - Show Bio

So this is going to be Britt and Kato the original duo and not the current Kevin Smith incarnation? I loved Matt Wagner's Green Hornet: Year One. Dynamite's GH books were very strong out of the gate but really fizzled out after the first year or so. This on the other hand sounds very promising.

#6 Posted by sethysquare (3843 posts) - - Show Bio

@Lvenger said:

What's wrong with Waid? He's an awesome writer. GL would be lucky to have him. Not that Johns' run has n't been fantastic.

uhm. not a fan. thats all.

#7 Posted by Trodorne (2572 posts) - - Show Bio

Just curious but isn't having a metal mask like that more dangerous?

#8 Posted by G-Man (30310 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: I'm assuming that's the case. Here's a quote from DE President Nick Barrucci:

We've always wanted a strong writer to write the original Green Hornet, as Matt Wagner has done a fantastic job on Green Hornet: Year One. And since Green Hornet: Year One, we hadn't found the right writer for a new series. When Mark's schedule allowed for us to finally work together, I asked which character(s) he would like to write. Right off the bat, he said the Green Hornet. I said "Yes!". It was perfect for everyone.
Staff
#9 Posted by mattwing87 (426 posts) - - Show Bio

I hope he isn't leaving Daredevil!

#10 Posted by tahmidk (283 posts) - - Show Bio

im not really familiar with green hornet, can someone pm me a streamlined summary of information necessary to follow waids run?

#11 Posted by Superguy0009e (2265 posts) - - Show Bio

WooHoo!!

#12 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32186 posts) - - Show Bio

Oh great, now I can look forward to Waid sucking all the crime element out of another noir hero, I bet he'l have Kato telling jokes about One Direction or something

#13 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32186 posts) - - Show Bio

@tahmidk: You should just check out Green Hornet: Year One

#14 Posted by MysteryMan38 (19 posts) - - Show Bio

As a life long fan of Green Hornet, I can't wait for this comic! Waid and Ross back together, booyah to the power team! Golden Age awesomeness!!

#15 Posted by daredevil21134 (10622 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jonny_Anonymous said:

@tahmidk: You should just check out Green Hornet: Year One

LOL,hopefully this means his DD run is coming to an end soon

#16 Posted by TDK_1997 (14435 posts) - - Show Bio

This means that I can start reading Green Hornet.

#17 Posted by GR2Blackout (2564 posts) - - Show Bio

Just one step closer too "Seth Rogen: The Comic"..........

#18 Posted by MadeinBangladesh (5870 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked the movie. Might read this also! the art is amazing!!!!!!!!

#19 Posted by The Poet (8288 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder what this means for Boom's Steed and Mrs. Peel series...does that mean he will end that and, if so, will that end the series? I'll keep my ears open...

#20 Posted by Mucklefluga (2503 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes!!

#21 Posted by NightFang (9817 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool.

#22 Posted by Mowgli22 (37 posts) - - Show Bio

Waid's the man, he's doing an awesome job Daredevil and Rocketeer, and now Green Hornet? Sounds like the word is out on how good of a writer he is. cheers.

#23 Posted by jsphsmth (1136 posts) - - Show Bio

I held off buying Dynamite's Green Hornet because of both Kevin Smith and the movie. Now I have no reason not to pick this up.

#24 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Ya finally got Waid, Dynamite, good for you! And for a character as iconic as Green Hornet, this should be a great work with his caliber of writing! But...what about Steed and Mrs. Peel for Boom Studios?? And what about Indestructible Hulk for Marvel NOW?! ::pouts::

#25 Posted by Onemoreposter (3867 posts) - - Show Bio

Looks like I'm going to start buying Dynamite comics finally. I love Waid. I'll buy anything with his name stamped on front.

#26 Posted by BoyWander (318 posts) - - Show Bio

His mask… so lame… why...

#27 Posted by Ironhawk22 (320 posts) - - Show Bio

@sethysquare: Have you ever read Kingdom Come or 52? There amazing! I think I might start picking this book up again.

#28 Posted by Ghostmarch5 (7 posts) - - Show Bio

So, Hollywood is possibly doing a remake of the laughably idiotic stupidhero movie known as the Green Hornet? Oh, joy (sarcasm).

#29 Posted by TheMtVernonKid82 (61 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: Yeah that was what I was gonna ask too.

#30 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes! I have been waiting for this book to kick it up a notch like back when Jonathan Lau and Kevin Smith were working together on it.

#31 Posted by Jonny_Anonymous (32186 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm still sceptical with what Waid did to Daredevil so I'll wait and see

#32 Posted by Glitch_Spawn (17132 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish the Hornet forum was more populated. Grr.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.