Follow

The God Squad

Team » The God Squad appears in 34 issues.

The God Squad are a group of gods originally formed into a team to battle the pantheon of the invading Skrulls. They would unite once more to take on rogue member, Mikaboshi

Does The World Need God Squad?

Scary Tousers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Scary Tousers

So, this is my first blog, hope I'm not gonna screw this up.

Let's face it. We all love epic storylines. Wars between gods, Universe-saving quests, helpless fights against Lovecraftian monsters from other dimensions, planet destructing battles, powerful individuals going against entire armies or space fleets alone, dramatic fights at the verge of destruction of reality itself – tell me you read those words, imagine those things without any emotions, that you imagined all those things and did not feel any excitement and and I will call you a liar. We love when our comics are epic, otherwise there wouldn't be such vocal group criticizing Brian Bendis' New Avengers for not being epic enough. If I would have to summary this year of Marvel in one word, it would be “Epic”. Marvel started this year with Siege, followed with three different volumes of Avengers trying to top each other over which will have most epic start – with The Avengers has to save the timeline, New Avengers - entire Universe and Secret Avengers The Multiverse. Meanwhile X-Men seen their last  stand in war for the future of entire mutantkind and invasion of vampires. Space wasn't free of epicness either, not with one of the best comics of the year, Thanos Imperative, going on. Mystical side of the Universe isn't any better with Chaos War - the threat to the existence of everything. You might have any opinion you want about, you may think it was good or bad, success or failure, but I don't think anybody can deny that Marvel tried to give us as much of epicness we love as they could. Next year may, hopefully, continue this trend, with upcoming adventures of Annihilators and new event, so-called “Fear Itself”.

I was thinking what else of the epic side they could give us, what team could have most epic adventures. It has to be strong team, made of the strongest beings, ones fans calls heavy-hitters or big guns. The ones strong so much that their whole presence indicated things are very, very serious. Annihilators are good example - when you see so many strongest players of the Cosmic side of Marvel together, you know they're not gonna deal with some space pirates. There is another team who has such vibe, that can make you feel that they aren't here for something Avengers could put down. No, they're gonna take down some ancient evil and kick it unholy butt. Wait, I take it back. Not one ancient Evil. Hundreds of them, at the same time. I'm talking about the team of gods, team of the immortals. I'm talking about team of people touched by powers beyond human understanding. I'm talking about team of those who are such powers.

I'm talking about God Squad.

Marvel Universe has seen two incarnations of this team. First one was gathered by Athena and Earth's patheons to fight Skrull gods during Secret Invasion, from enslaving every diety on Earth. Second one has to stop former member of first one, Amatsu Mikaboshi, now know as Chaos King, from destroying all of creation. First team included Demogorge, terrible monster who eats gods. Second has Galactus – Devourer of the Worlds – himself. Sounds as pretty damn epic to me and that's the point – when God Squad gathers, you know they're not gonna fight with some common threat. Guys they take on are from the highest mystical league. Dormammu, Hela, Mephisto, Lucifer, Dragon Of The Moon, Oblivion, Shuma-Gorath – that's only few of threats such team could take on. When it comes to God Squad, it comes to the most epic thing you got.

The team has simple selection – it contains gods, or those who are equal to gods and have certain, mystical feeling, like Daimon Hellstorm or Silver Surfer. This means that, while selecting new roster, writers can choose from large variety of big guns – from Eternals and actual gods to those related to them like Thunderstrike r Beta Ray Bill to demons and angels, or one's like Ghost Rider or Doctor Strange. The only constant are Amadeus Cho and Hercules, who were on both incarnations of the team and give some link between every version.

Would I like to see God Squad, maybe not current, but new incarnation, getting their own mini-series, or maybe even ongoing? Hell yes. With good writer and strong team, this would give me daily dose of awesomness for months.

And What do you think? Is it good idea to give God Squad their own comics? Or should they stay as temporary team, gathering only when new, great menace threatens the world of mortals and immortals alike?

Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By Thor's hammmer

yes I think they should but im kinda bias
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By PowerHerc

Yes of course.   

Does it need X-Force?  Hellions?  Alpha Flight?  Defenders?  Heroes for Hire?  Does it need any team?   

Having another super-team, and this one has a unique criteria for membership, gives readers a chance to read something fresh and different.  That's always needed.

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By PowerHerc

You're damn right the world, wait; the universe, needs the God Squad!   

The God Squad is needed to save everything from the universal/multiversal threats that are too much for even the mightiest teams of Heroes to handle.  The scale and scope of the threats the God Squad could/would/should face would truly be awesome and epic.  And us fans get another team with a unique line-up to root for. 
    The writers at Marvel should have enough characters and plot ideas to support the concept of this team.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @PowerHerc said:
    "You're damn right the world, wait; the universe, needs the God Squad!    The God Squad is needed to save everything from the universal/multiversal threats that are too much for even the mightiest teams of Heroes to handle.  The scale and scope of the threats the God Squad could/would/should face would truly be awesome and epic.  And us fans get another team with a unique line-up to root for. The writers at Marvel should have enough characters and plot ideas to support the concept of this team. "

true sort of a Mythic avengers if you will.
    GabrielNox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By GabrielNox
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    " @PowerHerc said:
    "You're damn right the world, wait; the universe, needs the God Squad!    The God Squad is needed to save everything from the universal/multiversal threats that are too much for even the mightiest teams of Heroes to handle.  The scale and scope of the threats the God Squad could/would/should face would truly be awesome and epic.  And us fans get another team with a unique line-up to root for. The writers at Marvel should have enough characters and plot ideas to support the concept of this team. "
     true sort of a Mythic avengers if you will. "
    Only without heavy emotional trauma.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Thor's hammmer said:
    "@PowerHerc said:
     true sort of a Mythic avengers if you will. "

Yeah, That's as good a way to state it as any.   
    I love the Avengers, but with all the various Avengers teams out there now, I'd rather they not be called Avengers or fall under the Avengers banner.
    The God Squad is cooler as it's own independant outfit.
    Thor's hammmer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Thor's hammmer
    @PowerHerc:
    true and I don't think to many gods like taking orders from mortals.
    PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By PowerHerc
    @Thor's hammmer:
    Yeah, except for a few notable exceptions (i.e.; Captain America), you're right.
    seekquaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9  Edited By seekquaze

The way the gods are being shown not really.  For the last decade or so the gods have not come across as that impressive or intelligent.  Even the supposedly wise and powerful ones come across looking like idiots that can barely read and are above Spider-Man level.  So, I don't think the gods are prepared to deal wtih threats beyond mortal kin.  Back in the nineties and before sure.  Nowadays....a definite no.

Oh, and you missed a god squad.  Back in Thor Annual 10 a group of sun and thunder gods from different pantheons battled Atum when he was accidentally summoned and after he had quickly squashed a gathering of death gods.  Of course this was back when gods came across as well...gods.

Enyalios

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Enyalios

I think the god squad books give the gods some much needed room to show why they are called 'GODS'.  Generally speaking they get used and abused by writers in Marvel.  Hercules has probably suffered more than any other god-character in Marvel, generally appearing in books to show how bad someone else us and getting his butt handed to him by people who should not even be considered in the same league as him (Wrecking Crew anyone?), and lately this same thing has been happening to Thor.  So a book like this gives writers (as long as Bendis never gers his hands on this title) an opportunity to really explore godhood and the powers contained by such beings and give them challenges that allow them to let loose.  Instead of downplaying Thor or Hercules when they are among the Avengers so the other characters can compete even when they shouldn't, you instead have them surounded by beings capable of tuely epic feats that go beyond terms like 'heroic' and actually get the opportunity to use it.    Thor can Be Thor, God of Thunder, the most powerful hero on Earth because he is not going to overshadow the likes of Hercules or the Silver Surfer or even Sersei for that matter.  Hell Hercules would enjoy watching him try and probably just make him tap out later on.  That, I think is why a book like this is needed.
    CodeSaint

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By CodeSaint

Yes,there's a lot of characters they could use and mythological figures involved in the arcs.Just look how big is the Marvel's list of Gods here: http://www.comicvine.com/thor-hercules-encyclopdia-mythologica-encyclopaedia-mythologica/37-166461/ Also it would be good to see underused characters like Sersi and Hellstorm regularly.Also Thor and Hercules at the same team and same time.Dr. Strange on the team would be good too,even if he is no a god he is as powerful as one and fights cosmic abominations regularly.If written by Lente and Pak too it would be very good,the fight against the Skrull gods was the best action wise in Incredible Hercules.And like others said here,they can fight at full power without having to be "equalized" to other heroes at an arc.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.