Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

The Flash "Things You Can't Outrun"

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

CW's The Flash is winning me over because of its focus on optimism and fun. Now, I don't have anything against shows that aim for a darker tone -- I do love Arrow -- but this show has kept me smiling while also building my interest in the narrative. Thankfully, tonight's episode, "Things You Can't Outrun," still has plenty of happiness and puts the more difficult parts of being a hero in a fairly positive spotlight. Barry Allen (once again made likable by Grant Gustin) is still new to being a superhero, but just like many other characters in tights, he wants to save everyone he can. Unfortunately, we all know even the best heroes can't prevent every single tragedy, and this is a lesson Barry absorbs. It won't stop him from trying his hardest to do what's right, but it doesn't paint his effort in a darker/bleaker tone, either.

It's great to see that, even when the show has a pretty big body count, it still has a sense of charm and an uplifting nature. For example, this episode shifts gears to focus on a massively depressing moment someone faced. But instead of dragging it out for multiple episodes, she's able to get closure and focus on the good. Again, not a jab at darker shows, but The Flash has a refreshingly good-natured atmosphere.

I'm beginning to think it's in Jesse L. Martin's contract to have him make as many "I'm doing my best not to cry" faces as possible. And you know what? It's effective stuff. The scenes with Grant Gustin and his father (played by John Wesley Shipp) are compelling, but man, Martin does such a good job with the emotional beats. Even when he's dealing with a story arc I wasn't the biggest fan of (e.g. Iris/Thawne), he still makes it a good scene. Speaking of performances, Caitlin Snow (Danielle Panabaker) really grew on me in this episode. The flashback about her and Ronnie Raymond (Robbie Amell) laid it on a little too thick at times, but she gave a more engaging performance in this one and it transformed her into a much more likable character. I guess that'll make it harder to accept when she one day takes a villainous turn, right? It's understandable why she was previously giving us the cold shoulder (pun 100% intended), so to have her open up was great.

No Caption Provided

Holy easter eggs, Allen! The fast remarks are a little too frequent, but they're really going all out to give fans of the comics a lot of love. We have little things like Snow wearing a blue dress, joking about a Flash Museum, and so much more. I think I even saw the movie theater was playing 'Blue Devil'? While some of these feel a little too obvious to comic fans (e.g. the "fire and ice" remark), it's still incorporated well for the most part and shows they're passionate about the mythos.

I won't lie, the first encounter between Barry and the Mist made me want to facepalm. The big challenge with the Scarlet Speedster is making him face challenges without downplaying him. The guy can accomplish so much before another person even finishes a single word! So, when I saw him pull an epic fail against the Mist and then get pummelled, I couldn't help but feel very, very disappointed. Luckily, there's a reason for that and it's noble. Hugely dangerous, but still totally noble. It's just another way of showing us Barry's character.

The show has plenty of easter eggs for comic fans to enjoy, but it seems like they're trying a little too hard to have the cast say how fast or slow this or that is. When we already have so many nods, having comments like that just seem a bit forced.

When you have so many interesting story arcs, the focus on Iris' relationship with Eddie Thawn just feels generic; it's almost like the scenes were taken out of a teen drama. Now, I have nothing against romantic subplots -- they're obviously needed -- but these developments felt way too familiar and unfortunately didn't do anything to make them unique. At least the final bit with Martin was good, though.

No Caption Provided

While Weather Wizard and Multiplex lacked depth, their powers meant they could at least have thrilling confrontations with Barry. But Kyle Nimbus, a.k.a. The Mist? It felt pretty lackluster, especially after seeing such great action in the other two episodes. When you see Barry counter a tornado and fight through a sea of people, having him just outrun some gas and then basically tackle a guy isn't a good follow-up. I know they can't always go bigger and bigger, but this felt bland compared to the other scenes. I mean, Barry stopping petty criminals in this episode was more exciting than the final showdown. And I'm not the only one questioning their prison system, right? Don't get me wrong, I'm glad they're doing it and I'm sure they can find a way to give these characters food and water, but what about other needs? You know, a toilet or shower? Seemed pretty cramped in there. Also, what happens if they lose power? I'm overthinking this one, aren't I? Don't worry, this part doesn't impact the score. I'm just throwing the thought out there.

One small gripe: the final scene with Harrison Wells didn't live up to the other cliffhangers. Both were shocking reveals, but this didn't feel nearly as jaw-dropping as opposed to being just a little bit of follow-up for the first one -- follow-up which doesn't seemingly add much. We already know he's obsessed with Barry, so having him spying on him isn't a huge reveal or gripping development like the other two.

The emphasis on relationship drama with Iris and a forgettable villain battle prevented this episode from being as good as the previous two. However, the emotion and joy is still there and it's still a very promising show. Even with those negatives, it still turned out to be an okay episode and there's still plenty of reasons to be excited about the show's future. Up next: Captain Cold!

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I keep forgetting that these shows are on

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 2

I wonder why they decided to name the detective Thawne as opposed to Harrison Wells who appears to be playing the Eobard Thawne character.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By unbreakable_fs4

It was alright. I wouldn't say it was as good as the first two. In my opinion the best part of the episode was when Barry visited his dad at Iron Heights

Also, I loved the creativity in Barry vibrating his head at super speed to hide his identity from his dad. Though, I suspect his dad knows he's the Flash considering the topic he brought up when Barry later came to visit him.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

This episode was pretty good, the flashbacks with the star labs crew was the highlight of the episode. Wasn't big on the villain, and the ending scene was probably necessary but not nearly as big of a cliff hanger as the other ending scenes. I think things will start to pick up soon in next weeks episode with Cpt Cold.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Well at least they didn't kill of the villain. I just wish there was more to him other than wanting revenge on the people who executed him.

johnny_blaze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

It was Blue Devil II actually haha.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7  Edited By Boynerdgeek

This episode makes me like Cisco and Caitlin. I never care for those 2 people in first 2 episodes. Overall 3.5/5 . So excited for next week Captain Cold aka Geoff Johns fav villains

Avatar image for guardiandevil83
    Guardiandevil83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Guardiandevil83

@boynerdgeek: I've liked Cisco since the beginning. But that might be because I've known a few people with his personality. Lol

TheComedian_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I actually thought the exact same thing about their prison, haha.

Anyways, a reason I really like this show is that it's such a change of pace for me. I usually watch dark and depressing shows (don't get me wrong, the darker the better IMO), but this show is a refreshing break.

It's like taking a break from all the chocolate I eat and eating a bag of skittles every once and a while.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I actually thought the exact same thing about their prison, haha.

Anyways, a reason I really like this show is that it's such a change of pace for me. I usually watch dark and depressing shows (don't get me wrong, the darker the better IMO), but this show is a refreshing break.

It's like taking a break from all the chocolate I eat and eating a bag of skittles every once and a while.

I want to see that as the cover quote on The Flash Blu-ray/DVD.

It was Blue Devil II actually haha.

Ha, nice catch.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@guardiandevil83: Cisco in first 2 episodes always makes jokes even the situation is serious. But in this episode we actually see that he actually can be serious and sad. I hope you can understand what I mean

SaintWildcard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 12

Still a solid show so far and is better than Gotham (not a dis at Gotham. I actually like it). Hoping that Constantine is just as solid

Rixec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Rixec

It was alright. I wouldn't say it was as good as the first two. In my opinion the best part of the episode was when Barry visited his dad at Iron Heights

Also, I loved the creativity in Barry vibrating his head at super speed to hide his identity from his dad. Though, I suspect his dad knows he's the Flash considering the topic he brought up when Barry later came to visit him.

Yeah, I loved the encounters with Barry and his dad. With the vibrating of his face it shows Barry is smart enough to know even a mask like his may not be good enough for someone who really knows and loves him, unlike a small domino mask where one's own mother doesn't know. And even with that Barry's dad still suggests that he knows and is proud. Barry was smart enough to try to hide and his dad was smart enough to know anyway. It was brilliantly done.

Avatar image for unbreakable_fs4
    unbreakable_fs4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@rixec: completely agree. It's small aspects like those that make the show even more worth watching

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

4/5

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@saint_wildcard said:

Still a solid show so far and is better than Gotham (not a dis at Gotham. I actually like it). Hoping that Constantine is just as solid

It'll probably be the best of all these shows, it's on a good network, and so far it looks very faithful to the comics.

godzilla44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I agree on it being a refreshing break because I watch shows like Breaking Bad, Arrow and Game of Thrones and they don't like happy endings lol

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By micah007123

@captainmarvel4ever said:

There's so many of them, it's hard to keep track. I literally have something on every night.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 45

Completely fair review but the delightful tone and atmosphere of this episode matched with the great performances would bump this to a four star episode for me. The villains so far have been underdeveloped but that is to be expected on a show like this. I'm a big fan of Arrow, and I know it is really early on, but I think I already enjoy The Flash more. Everything seems so much more genuine and true to the comic counterpart. Arrow seems almost ashamed of it's source material. That may change this season with Starling becoming Star City (and hopefully Ollie starts calling himself Green Arrow because The Arrow sounds kinda dumb) but at this point they dip into the Batman ripoff bits a little too frequently.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#20  Edited By MrMazz

Glad to see this show continues to hit the foundation of basic modern superheroe myth and this weeks its the spider-man complex aka they all have blood on their hands.

Ok so Victor Garber is Dr. Martin Stein and that's a recent casting so how are they going to retconn him into the night though I guess RObbie Amell could be teloported somewhere else.

CHEAP PLUG to User Review

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

/Quickly/ becoming my favorite comic book show at the moment.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: u mean green arrow, the character who for most of the 80s was relegated to vertigo and didn't even interact with the rest of the dc universe because his title was so dark? Yeah, I'm sure his comics are the highlight of camp and cheese

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Good review. I really like the optimistic vibe. Its much needed with all the dark stuff i watch out there.

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gjgp27: You must have misinterpreted my comment. I'm not saying that Arrow is too dark. I'm saying that they have, to this point, made weird changes for the sake of it. There has also been a large amount of "homage" to Batman. Green Arrow started as a green archer ripoff of Batman but he grew into a different character with his own identity. Calling him The Arrow sounds silly to me. I believe the writers intended it to be more edgy but I find it kinda goofy sounding. I like The Flash more because it is true to The Flash. I love Arrow but, imo, it hasn't been true to Green Arrow to this point. All of these things are my opinion. If you disagree, then that's great. As I've stated multiple times now, I am a big fan of Arrow despite certain aspects of it that I feel are somewhat problematic.

Gjgp27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@syncig: also in the 80s, which is his best era, he was never referred to as Green Arrow, as Mike Grell found the name stupid

SynCig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@gjgp27: Okay, that's fine. I disagree with Grell on that. The guy definitely wrote some great Green Arrow stuff (of which I admit not having read enough) but his opinion is not gospel. I don't intend to attempt to dissuade you of your own opinion so I don't see why you feel the need to find fault with mine.

HybridComics

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cap10nate: Eddie is Eobard's ancestor in the past (our present)

WheatStalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Don't be sad, Ronnie's still alive, Caitlin! Just wait, you'll love him again! Your heart is ice, but not for long, just like when it's snowing outside and it's really cold inside, and then the heater comes on, and you're like, oh yeah, that's warm.

I think she's going to be an 'anti-villain', a bad but also good girl.

Good episode, the Flash-backs are working well.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

#29  Edited By TheBlueAngel93

I'd give it a 4/5 stars. The Mist wasn't the most compelling villain for sure, but I am glad they at least kept him alive! xD Overall I felt the highlights of this episode was simply the character developments between the main cast, I've even warmed up to the Iris/Eddie relationship and Eddie's even growing on me as a character.

Overall, while this episode didn't have the biggest action, I thought it did a great job at simply showing these characters grow together and seeing developments and relationships further explored was something I felt was the most enjoyable part of the episode.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Just notice. Rita Farr reference aka Elastigirl from Doom Patrol

sentryman555

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By sentryman555

Did anyone else think their might be a romantic connection starting to happen between Caitlyn and Flash?

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#32  Edited By timelord

@captainmarvel4ever said:

Wait till the Valiant shows start up along with Teen Titans and Supergirl and the 3 movies or so each year where getting a year and that's just from DC.

Edit I mean Vertigo don't drink and be online people it dosent end well.

FearTheLiving

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By FearTheLiving

Watching this now. Didn't the pilot say it was on for 45 minutes then after that is when it exploded? If that's true why was the alarm going off after 10 seconds of it being on? Did they not think to maybe warn anyone?

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

How old is the Professor? He seems to hint he's a lot older.

Is Professor Wells actually Reverse Flash?

gregroyj42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I loved this. I thought it was far better than this weeks Gotham. The character development in this episode was great the scene in the jail with Joe and Barry's dad was incredible plus the following conversation Barry had with his dad. The villain was a little weak but even having a different villain every week they writers have managed to connect these episodes and are building a very connected story.

Numbuh1Nerd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is there a quota on "My mom is dead and my dad is in prison" scenes? It seems like they find a way for Barry to break down about that for at least one scene every episode. The "fire and ice" line honestly made me groan, but seeing Ronnie's death play out and how it effected not only Caitlyn but Cisco was great. There really are a whole lot of flaws in their prison system, but it's not as bad as the set-up the GCPD have on Gotham. I think Captain Cold is really gonna step up their villain game, though. Mist, Weather Wizard, and Multiplex were all rather unimpressive (Weather Wizard being the most interesting of the three). Side note: if that line means there won't be a Flash museum at some point I will be very disappointed.

sbyrstall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well at least they didn't kill of the villain. I just wish there was more to him other than wanting revenge on the people who executed him.

I don't see how Multiplex could be dead. Since he could make multiple copies of himself we could have had a copy of him die. Remember, this is comic books.

Yep, and the Easter eggs were just dropping out of the sky with this episode. We know the Caitlyn will eventually become Killer Frost, it's just a question of when. I'm guessing it will be about the same time Ronnie/Firestorm makes his appearance. It will cause a mutagenic reaction in her.

I really want to see The Trickster soon.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By jwalser3
    TheBlackHood

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By TheBlackHood

@captaingenisvell said:

How old is the Professor? He seems to hint he's a lot older.

Is Professor Wells actually Reverse Flash?

I know this is kind of a crazy theory, but what if Wells is actually an adult version of Impulse? He seems to look physically like an Allen more than a Thawn. I know that's pretty out there, but it would be the kind of twist that would work in a show like this.

batmite1995

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@numbuh1nerd: weather wizard's brother will take up his mantle

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Did anyone catch what Dr. Wells said at the very end of the episode?

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought the villain was handled terribly. I mean, one moment they cant see the Green smoke, then they can. Generally they do a good job of showing us how much faster Flash is going then everything else, but in the street scenes when fighting The Mist, it looks like they just hit fast forward.

Also, I was very relieved when they came up with the solution to defeat him was that he can't sustain Mist for too long. Otherwise, the scene where he was just walking down the street was an absolute face palm moment.

musim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#44  Edited By musim

I enjoyed it. Definitely not the best. Didn't really do much to move the season plot forward but gave some needed character development to the side characters.

My predictions for Wells and the prison is he wants all the villains there and will release them at once for some reason or another at the end of the season. Maybe that will necessitate the need for the full CW Justice League or super team up (Arrow, Atom, Flash, Firestorm, New Canary, Katana, etc).

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

Even before he got any powers, Ronnie was a hero. ("Like fire and ice". Subtle, guys)

I hope the name "Flash" starts to catch on soon. I don't think I can live through another "the Blur" phase.

NimaMindTricks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The acting in the beginning as they're walking out of the theater made me cringe hard. It was painful to watch.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

It's too comic bookish

spidershamrock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Didn't like the fight with the Mist. He beat him same way as Multiplication Man. Still love the show

Harryvine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I guess the guy who wrote this review completely missed the point of the Harrison Wells scene. He's possibly from the future and it is very clear that he created the particle accelerator to create Barry becoming the Flash.

Wells will end up being Zoom or Reverse Flash.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 k4tzm4n  Moderator

I guess the guy who wrote this review completely missed the point of the Harrison Wells scene. He's possibly from the future and it is very clear that he created the particle accelerator to create Barry becoming the Flash.

Wells will end up being Zoom or Reverse Flash.

That's been obvious since the end of the first episode...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.