Follow

The Flash

Series »

A CW TV series based on the DC superhero, set in the same continuity as Arrow and starring Grant Gustin as Barry Allen.

The Flash Episode #111 - "The Sound and the Fury"

• 55 results
    k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

"She seems nice. You don't."

Watching Captain Cold and Heat Wave cause trouble in last week's episode was good fun, but after that awesome midseason finale, many of us had one person on our minds: Harrison Wells. Thankfully, "The Sound and the Fury" focuses heavily on the brilliant man and, as expected, there's some major fan service and focus on his development. Oh, and this episode also introduces Hartley Rathaway, a.k.a. Pied Piper. After seeing so many different villains in this series, it's tough to imagine a kid in a hoodie who loves to use sonics would pose much of a problem, but the show managed to do a great job adapting the character and made him a legitimate threat.

First and foremost, I have to get a minor criticism out of the way. Don't worry, I liked the episode, but this is the second week in a row now where it feels like Barryand the police are blatantly downplayed. I understand Flash can't always move at top speeds and he needs to face physical challenges, but watching this elaborate plan for him to catch the Royal Flush Gang (nice!) seems a bit silly when he has no problem catching up to each of them, grabbing the keys and then maybe taking them off the bikes. The dude has crazy speed feats involving vehicles later in the episode, too. But hey, maybe he doesn't want to hurt them in a crowded section of the city, so that's fine. What did get to me is the first encounter with Hartley. This is another scenario where Barry goes out of his way to do things other than just knocking down his enemy. It's almost like you're wondering, "Dude, why haven't you just punched him yet? Wouldn't that be way easier?" It's also odd to have a villain fire at the police and they don't respond at all when they have a clear opening. I wish these scenes could be handled in a more careful way (maybe he's bombarding them with blasts before Flash shows up?), but overall, it remains a minor criticism.

Surprisingly enough, this episode gives Cisco plenty of attention and I continue to absolutely love the character. The "but every once in awhile" comment? Oh man, that made me burst into laughter. Whoever wrote that line deserves a cookie. This is a show that often has a good heart-to-heart scene, and this one had a few. One of them happened to be between Cisco and Wells, and it pretty much expressed why so many of us are rooting for kid. And speaking of Wells, this is a huge episode for his story. Not only do they give us some much needed follow-up to the midseason premiere's reveal (the plot thickens!), but it also manages to bring Detective Joe West back into the bigger picture. It's an episode that does a good job handling the immediate threat while also doing a mighty fine job teasing future conflicts. It should go without saying, but more of Jesse L. Martin and Tom Cavanagh is always a good thing because the two sure can act.

No Caption Provided

Pied Piper may not look like much of an obstacle, but his intellect and history with team Flash presents an enjoyable conflict. One of my biggest criticisms of the earlier episodes is the villains lacked depth and seemed like they were just there for a spectacular action sequences. Now, we have a far more complex character who offers just okay action sequences. That's fine, though, because having an interesting character who can produce gripping dilemmas is far more engaging than one scene of spectacle; there's way more potential here. This episode borrowed Arrow's "flashback" format and it served the story well. It was able to give this villain way more depth while also focusing on Cisco. It's impressive just how many characters they successfully juggled in just this episode. Cisco, Flash, Iris, Harrison, and Pied all receive a proper amount of focus and there's even attention-grabbing teasers with others. You sure know how to keep my attention, The Flash.

Unfortunately, Iris' story plays out in a very standard and predictable way. The dialogue is good -- it even mocks cliches at one point -- but the developments definitely weren't up to par with the other story elements. It's not a bad plot, but it's not really doing anything to make an impact, either. There's a lot of possibilities with that storyline in upcoming episodes, but it didn't add all that much to this episode. Another criticism is how Barry Allen, the forensic scientist, didn't notice Wells got out of the violent situation without a single scratch. It's his job to analyze a crime scene and we know he's good at it, so it's a little odd the thought didn't cross his mind. As for why Joe didn't bring it up, I'm just assuming it's because Joe knew it could lead to a big argument and he wants to get some compelling evidence before approaching Barry about it.

"The Sound and the Fury" didn't have jaw-dropping action and the plot with Iris wasn't all that original, but everything else delivered big time. This episode had a great buildup of tension, plenty of strong laughs, solid use of drama, and it most certainly didn't forget to lose some heart. And watching Barry rescue people? It's always a blast. Even when the show dips into darker or more dramatic territory, it's able to lift us back up and remind us these are fun characters that we want to root for. The Flash is having one heck of a strong first season and you can tell there's exciting things on the horizon. Oh, and who else smirked and thought of Arrow during the "failed this city" line?

AMajorDoubter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By AMajorDoubter

Another stellar episode from The Flash crew.

Having Iris do more stuff makes me happy, and bringing in the Pied Piper is also a very good thing.

The first official name-drop of the Speed Force was the best part, though. Well that, and watching The Flash save people, because I will never get tired of that, particularly with such surprisingly good effects.

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Speed force mention can't belive they actually going with it

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

Keep Calm

and

Han shot first.

Lurkero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm glad the storyline with Wells is paying off so far. The Flash could use at least one more gray area character for Wells to bounce off of though.

Surza7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

really cool episode and thought it was really solid.

Really cool to see the piper go against flash as it seems they will need him and maybe like how it is in the new 52 have the piper become a good guy.They could also possible need his help with the flash going against the reverse flash which was cool to get more of why wells needs the flash to advance his abilities.I think Wells is planning to take the speed force from Barry so he could use the power of the speed force to make his abilities stabilized.Since it seems he needs that device to to walk,and really run and use his powers because without it he stumbles and just seems to be unstable.

I am hoping we also see Cisco become the vibe since it seems he is growing more as a character and would be really sweet.But could be anything really since Eddy from the police force is now looking into wells maybe he finds out that wells can harnish the flash powers and tap into the speed force and could see a point where he becomes jelous of the flash or finds out barry is the flash and loves iris and thinks that he ruined his relationship or his life and could kill wells and take his suite,and device and become Reverse Flash O.o....just some assumptions I have XD

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By CrystalMaster

Between this and Agents of Shield/Agent Carter, Tuesdays are the best day of the week for TV for me by Miles, best 2(3) comic shows hands down.

Pizzaman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

All I'm focusing on is that Speed Force name drop.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

oh, and before CM4ever asks, no Firestorm this episode but you should watch it for high quality alone.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

Another great episode. This show has been quite consistent. The speed force hint was cool. And the red lightning was great with Dr. Wells. I read an interview with the showrunners-I just hope that they don't make dr. wells totally evil.

Comicdude360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster: firestorm made an appearance in the "previously on flash" part.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

NighThunder

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Dey dropped that speed force

Yes

Yes

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

#14  Edited By MrMazz

O man they are really just going for it..that's awesome.

Cheap Plug to User Review

Darkmount1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 12

Except for being deaf and gay, Pied Piper kinda reminded me more of my favorite Spider-Man villain, the Shocker.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Well rounded episode for me tonight, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not as familiar with the Flash comics.......what's the speed force?

zackisme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

AwesomePerson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By AwesomePerson

SPEED FORCE?!?!?!?!?!?!?

IN SEASONN?!?!?!?!?

ALREADY!!!!

Wow... What's for Season 2 then

Avatar image for obsidian_raindrop1
    obsidian_raindrop1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@loki2u said:

Well rounded episode for me tonight, I really enjoyed it.

I'm not as familiar with the Flash comics.......what's the speed force?

It's the thing that give the flash his super speed.

Loki2u

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

timelord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

Great episode.

I just want to see more of The Rouges.

Protoflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Anyone else notice that the gang they take down in the beginning is the royal flush gang?

mickey-mouse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The police in this city outside of Joe and Eddie are useless morons. Jesus Christ, can the police not shoot suspects who are attacking them? It's to a point where it's no longer just a minor plot hole. Now it's really bothersome and brings it all crashing down for me.

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

@protoflash said:

Anyone else notice that the gang they take down in the beginning is the royal flush gang?

Yep. Joe even refers to them by name.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

oh, and before CM4ever asks, no Firestorm this episode but you should watch it for high quality alone.

Thanks, if ya can, do this every week when you comment, let me know if we get some Firestorm awesomeness.

As for watching the episode, call me when the decide to change it to an animated series, then we'll talk.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Haven't seen this yet. I'm assuming the Royal Flush Gang in the episode is NOT the incarnation featured in Arrow season 1?

loppez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Definitely better than the last week.

also

@lurkero said:

I'm glad the storyline with Wells is paying off so far. The Flash could use at least one more gray area character for Wells to bounce off of though.

SupBatz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

I wasn't the biggest fan of this episode, but not really at the fault of the episode itself. I just find myself growing tired of this particular set up for the series. I'm not really enjoying Barry working from STAR Labs. I'm getting fed up with the Wells plot not progressing in the eyes of any character except Joe. I really hope that this show pulls an Arrow and really shakes things up by the end of the season for a big game-changer a la the Undertaking. I want to see Barry operating in a more solo, less high-tech setting where he doesn't have the benefit of Star Labs resources.

Cisco and Caitlin were good and fun in this episode. And Pied Piper made for an enjoyable villain. I'm glad they kept the fact that he was gay without overplaying it. I wonder if there will be any sort of relationship between him and the police captain (who I believe are a couple in comics?).

Honestly, there wasn't really much wrong with the episode itself. I just hope that the show breaks away from the status quo soon.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever: have you scene the current state of animated superhero TV shows, i would never condomn any character to that, even the ones i hate.

Also, i love animation as much as the next guy (hell i'm an animation expert), but there's no denying that live action brings jst as much to teh table, none the least of which being double the running time and better comedic timing

Gotham331

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I was kinda hoping Cisco would gain the pied pipers powers and became vibe

Spiderman1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Holy crap! It's the Emperor Palpatine!

Xrated48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

IMO this was better than last week 's even though I thought last weeks was great this was better pied piper and harrison wells made this episode great. Characters with interesting back stories made you wanting more by the end of the episode.

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

Another stellar episode from The Flash crew.

Having Iris do more stuff makes me happy, and bringing in the Pied Piper is also a very good thing.

The first official name-drop of the Speed Force was the best part, though. Well that, and watching The Flash save people, because I will never get tired of that, particularly with such surprisingly good effects.

This

Sachmoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

"Another criticism is how Barry Allen, the forensic scientist, didn't notice Wells got out of the violent situation without a single scratch. It's his job to analyze a crime scene and we know he's good at it, so it's a little odd the thought didn't cross his mind."

Aaaaaagreed! And to speak on this further, I know he is surrounded by geniuses, but isn't Barry a genius too? Can he not figure out ANYTHING on his own in battle? I thought there was going to be a payoff where Pied Piper shut off Barry's communication, forcing him to deal with him on his own. At some point, he won't have Star Labs aid and he will be on his own. I prefer that he proves he can do it, rather than just start next season with barry being a 1-man wrecking crew.

grandmastah01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

barry is a lil naive to suspect anything if such sort

grandmastah01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

barry is a lil too naive to suspect anything if such sort

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wait, I completely missed the name drop of the Speed Force. I've been waiting for that too. When was it?

Avatar image for comicsrulebutdbzdoes2
    ComicsrulebutDBZdoes2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@zearing: right at the end with harrison wells

Zearing

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The_Kidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By The_Kidd

- Wells: "I have failed this city" lol

- So Wells is trying to siphon the Speed Force?

- I'm calling it that photo of Barry in costume without mask is going to leak.

Black_Arrow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe what Wells wants to do is to absorb the Speed Force out of Barry. With the power of Blackout he can stole part of the speed force power from Barry. It seems that now he stealing it from the Tachyon devise.

Avatar image for deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb
    deactivated-5a4e0e8ea3dfb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't see Wells as trying to steal/absorb the Speed Force from Barry but to fully understand and master it in order to legitimately carry out his ideals for advancing science and potentially the evolution of mankind. Feel that's how they'll distinguish him from his comic book counterpart in having a truly altruistic goal but going about it under the idea of "the ends justify the means". He needs Barry to reach his full potential because that is the only way he (Wells) himself comes about, my guess being Barry's "disappearance" during the Crisis event shown in his vault was Barry's first time travel and he ended up in the future, Wells' original time. Its from this interaction that gives Wells the idea to travel back to the past in order to complete his grand plan because he can test and experiment on Barry's connection to the Speed Force at a time when he's new to his powers and vulnerable to persuasion than later in his life. That, of course, would bring up the question of why Barry wouldn't remember Wells if they met before, but I'd hazard a guess that leads me back to Wells not truly being the evil people think got a man with good intentions going about things the wrong way.

Which would lead the way to the true archnemesis of Barry being the Reverse-Flash/Zoom that Eddy will become as the series progresses. How do you distinguish the two? Easy....Wells when in costume has red eyes, most likely because his speed is artificial or in some way augmented to bring out his ancestoral abilities (if he does indeed turn out to be a descendant of Eddy). Eddy, however, would probably not have red eyes just as Barry's eyes don't glow yellow/gold the whole time he's using his speed. If you go back to the Pilot the man in the yellow suit shown when Nora is being killed doesn't have red eyes in the brief period you see his outline. Why? Because that's Eddy, not Wells as Wells wouldn't have a reason to kill Nora (as its not certain Barry wouldn't work in forensics since we don't know what kind of scientist his dad was.....I mean, why would Joe take him in just because Barry and Iris are friends? It would make more sense if Harry was a forensic scientist himself wouldn't it?) to ensure Barry becomes the Flash but Eddy would have a more personal hate towards Barry and thus make such an attack.

Wells simply has to ensure his own timeline by providing Eddy the opportunity to become the Reverse-Flash/Zoom himself and will probably be where season 1 finishes off as Wells' endgame comes to play and possibly his character even depart the show as a result.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@crystalmaster said:

@captainmarvel4ever: have you scene the current state of animated superhero TV shows, i would never condomn any character to that, even the ones i hate.

Also, i love animation as much as the next guy (hell i'm an animation expert), but there's no denying that live action brings jst as much to teh table, none the least of which being double the running time and better comedic timing

True, but even if it's not great I'd still like to see them try.

Not really, it brings considerably less to the table, and it is nowhere near as funny.

CrystalMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@crystalmaster said:

True, but even if it's not great I'd still like to see them try.

Not really, it brings considerably less to the table, and it is nowhere near as funny.

Do or do not, there is no try

Both bring equal, but different things to the TV table,

Live action brings double the running time and often comes packing a longer season allowing for more to be done and arcs to be longer and well explored, has much better on screen chemistry due to the actors actually having to interact with each other, and by extension better comedic timing (which is different then actual funny levels (which is completely subjective)). Live action also also has and always will feel more real then animation (ie: characters in pain)

Animation obviously brings complete freedom in the visual department (providing they have a good budget), as well possessing uber expressive faces for maximum emotional conveyance, and can often go much crazier and out there (though the flash has already brought us Grodd, meta-humans, the speed force, and time travel, so that point is kind of null in this case).

i'm just saying both have there merits and denying a show merit just because it's not what you wanted is immature.

DubyaNW

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I like the way they just dropped Wells running fast in there in an episode not really about that. I was regretting a long silly build up when they finally reveal it. They gave us the suit and the voice at the end of midseason finale which was great. It was perfect to just drop in his first speed force run causally in an episode about a different villain. One minute Wells is at home chillin and next boom, speed. Nice.

Avatar image for deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3
    deactivated-57dd84d2af8d3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

A genuinely great episode. Last week's episode was extremely underwhelming.

devil leonx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By devil leonx

While i liked the episode...I felt it had more problems than Flash has typically had, the beginning scene was kind of silly and also why was piper in the metahuman jail?? It did not seem like he had any powers at all and he made devices that allowed him to vibrate stuff. Also the scene with Wells on the floor one scene than you see him in the chair..it was kind of a bad cut.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

#50  Edited By amazing_webhead

Wow, Pied Piper was pretty badass. I wonder what's next for him...

"My name is Leonard Snart, I'm here t talk to you about the Rogues Initiative."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.