gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

Nothing like a nice murder mystery in a book that features a character deeply rooted to the police force. The fact is, Barry Allen is part of the police force and investigates crime scenes. It's great to see this mixed into the book instead of just Flash running around. With some recent murders that may or may not be connected, we're getting to see Barry try to figure things out in the aftermath of the looting and riots from Forever Evil.

And because the Flash is more than just a fast-running superhero, Robert Venditti and Van Jensen are continuing to show us aspects of Barry's life. In other words, we're seeing Patty and Iris. Things get a little awkward but it's this kind of spice that readers enjoy to add more humanity to the character. There's also more on Iris trying to get Barry to be a mentor to Wally.

Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund give the book a nice crisp and clean look. And by clean, I don't mean tidy. The city is a mess. The detail added in the background is refreshing (it bugs me a little when we get plain empty backgrounds in comics). Andrew Dalhouse's colors adds to the feel of the book. Simply put, this is a good looking comic.

The Bad

I know we have to be patient but I'm already getting a little antsy over the upcoming relationship between Barry and Wally. Sure, it's an assumption that they will eventually get along. Wally has plenty of reason to be angry. It feels a little cliche. Maybe it's from my years as a high school teacher and seeing attitude from kids that thought they knew it all.

We're seeing more about the Flash from the future and what his motives are. It almost feels like we have two separate stories going on. Again, maybe I just need to be patient.

The Verdict

Venditti and Jensen are cranking up the action for the Flash and Barry Allen. It's great to continue to see the story develop for both aspects of his life. The story is building as we see more on the murders after Forever Evil as well as more of the 'new' Wally West. I'm always happy to see Brett Booth and Norm Rapmund's art. Andrew Dalhouse's colors makes the art look even better. I'm ready for Wally to lose all his angst but it's just a matter of letting the story develop. Seeing more of the future Flash is interesting and there's no telling where this is going to go. With the way things are building, you won't want to fall behind on this series.

CrashBang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

I was tempted to pick this up again when Venditti and Booth got on board, and now I'm even more tempted. Exploring Barry as a member of the police force is something so obvious and yet not done enough, and that's really selling the book to me!

Also, Tony used to be a teacher? Cool! So the dreams us teachers have of having the best job ever (comics journalism) are still possible!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

@crashbang: I was a high school Math teacher when we started CV. Then I quit and started running the place full time.

Billy_Cobb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Oh, I would love to have you as a math teacher! The attitude you convey through your videos and podcasts is joyfully hilarious and fun.

I'm really enjoying the new run on the Flash so far. I've been a fan of Booth's for a while now, and he feels like a suitable follow-up to Manapul, though at first it seemed as if he was the only person who should be drawing Flash.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

@g_man: Oh yah Whats 2+2 Then Smarty Pants :P?

mysoulz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By mysoulz

I do enjoy the crime scenes aspects of this book. Barry's morality from the future is fading quite fast and his character is starting to get broken. Can't wait to see the conclusion in this story.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

my favorite part was the blue lantern t shirt barry was wearing-that was a cool callback.

Avatar image for thehumanthunderbolt
    thehumanthunderbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

my favorite part was the blue lantern t shirt barry was wearing-that was a cool callback.

YES! One of my favorite parts as well. Ever since the New 52, Blackest Night never happened so it was really cool seeing that bit thrown in there. Makes you wonder if it could be foreshadowing...

Avatar image for transformers1024
    Transformers1024

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
    ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By ScarletKnight2814

###@thehumanthunderbolt:

Blackest Night happened (All of Geoff John's Green Lantern happened he said so himself, and Blackest Night is mentioned in the Green Lantern books)

Avatar image for deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c
    deactivated-59dbfb60c4f7c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I liked the fact that he wore a blue lantern shirt.

thehumanthunderbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

###@thehumanthunderbolt:

Blackest Night happened (All of Geoff John's Green Lantern happened he said so himself, and Blackest Night is mentioned in the Green Lantern books)

Really? It happened before Flashpoint and The New 52 essentially started the whole DC universe from square one again. Green Lantern series are the only ones I've heard of that hold onto pre-New 52 events. In The Flash, Barry has no recollection of anything that happened before the New 52 because it never happened. In the beginning of the Justice League series, none of the members had ever met each other before. It seems there are some continuity problems here.

the_comebacks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 51

So far in this story Wally has been depicted as a pretty flat. We probably have to be patient to see how he develops as a 12 year old male- i just wish we saw a hint of good, instead of just anger so far. On the other side-more militaristic barry has been interesting-i look forward to how he changed over time.

Avatar image for scarletknight2814
    ScarletKnight2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

@thehumanthunderbolt:

the beginning of Justice League is set several years in the past (and Barry and Hal already knew each other), and why would Barry mention the Blackest Night it was a Green Lantern Event,

thehumanthunderbolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@thehumanthunderbolt:

the beginning of Justice League is set several years in the past (and Barry and Hal already knew each other), and why would Barry mention the Blackest Night it was a Green Lantern Event,

Barry was in Blackest Night. He became an honorary Blue Lantern in the series (the reason it's cool that he's wearing a blue lantern shirt). Since he experienced it, he should remember it. However, because of the events in Flashpoint, the timeline was changed and therefore a lot of the stuff before Flashpoint never happened. I don't have enough money to follow the New 52 Green Lantern series so I'll take your word on it that Balckest Night is mentioned in that series. The continuity issue is that in the New 52 Green Lantern series, Blackest Night happened, but in the New 52 Flash, it didn't.

Aquaneto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 40

I hate this version of Wally West alot he feels nothing like the Wally West I knew ooh well...

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

..Wally West issues aside, this series is shaping up very nicely. Enjoyed it immensely/

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.