The Flash #27

Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio

The Good

Brian Buccellato is back! For a few issues, at least. With this issue, we immediately get a feel of a lot of history. In many New 52 titles, even with the five year timeline, there's been an empty feeling as if many of the characters haven't been too active. That isn't the case here. Buccellato takes us back to 1848 with a scene that's laying some seeds for the story. Seeing Flash take on Chroma (who thankfully isn't called Rainbow Raider anymore) and Tar Pit gives a sense of familiarity. You can see that Flash fought them before on several occasions.

Mysteries from the past can alway be fun, when done right. Buccellato sets up a case that involves the history of Central City. Despite Barry living here his whole life, he was unaware of this bit of history. It leads him investigating other areas.

You can see that Buccellato is getting ready for his upcoming stint on DETECTIVE COMICS. We don't often see superheroes investigate scenes or remains. They usually are on hand to stop the bad guys. As part of the Central City Police Department, it's part of Barry's nature to want to get to the bottom of this, especially with the possible close connection to his past.

There's a nice feel to the art. There's some cool details in Patrick Zircher's art and Matt Hollingsworth colors add a nice rich dark tone to capture the vibe at the crime scene.

The Bad

While the detail in the art and characters were nice, there some scenes that felt like they had sparse backgrounds. This started making the story feel a little more isolated and cold. Not a completely bad thing since there is a bit of a somber mood. Barry's usually pretty upbeat but this is a situation where he has a lot to deal with.

The Verdict

Even though it's Brian Buccellto back writing, this story doesn't feel like your typical FLASH story. Buccellato is warming up for DETECTIVE COMICS as we see more from the police investigatory angle. Barry has a more serious feel to him as he's determined to figure out what's going on. Patrick Zircher's art is really good here. Along with Matt Hollingsworths colors, there's almost an older, classic feel to the story. Seeing Barry trying to investigate what's going on and being a little more serious sets the story apart from the recent issues, even though we've seen him up against some deadly foes. With the story hitting closer to home in a more credible fashion, this is not a story to pass on. We should be thankful that Buccellato still has more Flash stories in him. This arc is off to a fascinating beginning.

Staff
#1 Posted by ptigrusmagus (491 posts) - - Show Bio

This has been my fav comic, hope it can continue to top the pile

#2 Posted by MrTummyTumms (528 posts) - - Show Bio

This comic has really started making me a fan of the Flash.

#3 Edited by Fallschirmjager (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

TASTE THE RAINBOW, FLASH!

#4 Posted by G-Man (34125 posts) - - Show Bio
Staff
#5 Posted by Fallschirmjager (17499 posts) - - Show Bio

@g_man: best battle cry ever.

#6 Posted by Al_capOWN (534 posts) - - Show Bio

no swamp thing?

#7 Posted by Mars8254 (56 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for this issue. Loved the last issue. It was fun just having a short issue about some villain

#8 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (11591 posts) - - Show Bio

The Flash has continued to be my top 3 favorite series in the New 52. I'm so upset that Brian is leaving. It's bad enough Francis did but this art definitely makes up for it, it's awesome.

#9 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm going to pick up this issue!

#10 Posted by The_Comebacks (180 posts) - - Show Bio

This was an excellent issue. Can't wait for next months!

#13 Posted by Bezza (3644 posts) - - Show Bio

As always a brilliant Flash comic. It doesn't get rave reviews on the likes of IGN like Wonder Woman, but I have yet to read a bad issue in the New 52 run..

#14 Posted by MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

I thought this issue was great.

#15 Posted by KASPERCOLE (24 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome issue! I would've liked to see this story with Manapaul doing the art. But Zircher's art works well enough. It'll be interesting to see how much of Barry's supporting cast Venditti and Van use from issue to issue. I feel like Buccellato and Manapaul did a great job of developing Barry's supporting cast throughout their run in the New 52. I love it when Barry investigates in his plain clothes and I personally would like to see more of these types of stories in the near future with the new team.

#16 Posted by mak13131313 (562 posts) - - Show Bio

Definitely excited if this is some of what we have to look forward to when Brian takes over Detective Comics! Oh and The Flash issue was awesome!

#17 Posted by AlwaysTheBigSpoon (63 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the cover by Pasqual Ferry. I hope he can interiors of the Flash someday!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.