gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

There's always something to be said about a self-contained story. This series has seen some ongoing arcs from time to time but this is an issue that can be picked up with a resolution contained within.

Christos Gage takes over the reigns for this issue and does a nice job getting into Barry Allen's head. If there's one thing we expect from a Flash comic, it's the inner monologue from Barry. Gage touches on some topics such as the comparison between Flash and Superman in terms of speed. All this goes on as Barry is hot on the heels of a killer that also has the potential to harm several others. Instead of a typical Flash running really fast story, Gage gives us one where Barry has to think on his feet. The main problem for him here is he can't fly.

Neil Googe's art captures the vibe of the story. Even though this is a New 52 story, it almost has a timeless feel to it. This again works with the self-contained story. Spitfire felt a little cheesy but Googe's take on her and her accessories really works.

The Bad

The occasional problem with the self-contained story is you're left with a feeling of does it matter in the big picture of the character. Barry is after a villain that killed someone close to him, someone we hadn't heard of before. This is, by no means, a bad story. It just feels like a filler issue. This feeling is compounded by the announcement of Francis Manapul and Brian Buccellato leaving the series and later it being announced that Buccellato would be returning for a few issues. This was a good story but, unfortunately, you won't feel as if you missed anything if you don't catch the issue.

A tiny thing that bothered me was Flash running on a helicopter blade. This was a really grand moment in an issue of the Geoff Johns/Francis Manapul series and didn't have the same effect from when we first saw it.

The Verdict

What can the Flash do when a villain gets away and takes to the skies? Christos Gage puts Barry Allen in a situation we don't often see where running fast isn't always the answer. Gage and Neil Googe give us a self-contained story that can be enjoyed without needing to worry about any previous baggage from any New 52 stories. Unfortunately, at the same time, it feels like if you skipped this issue, you wouldn't miss any major developments in Barry Allen's life. Not all issues need to be huge game-changers and Gage shows us there isn't a case or battle too small for the Flash as a hero.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 10

I'm gonna miss Manapul but damn, Zircher is a damn good artist

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By jwalser3

What's this? A Flash issue with only 3 stars?!

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

uh-oh, not off to a good start, I hope Aquaman's better.

patrat18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Damn.

darkwingdan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#7  Edited By darkwingdan

I think this a pretty fair review. The issue was solid, if unspectacular. My biggest turn off was the colors. They were not as vibrant as I would have liked.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By jwalser3

@g_man: oh yeah,the Zero Year tie in right?

DcNoobReviews

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

while i did enjoy the story, the Drawings and ink/colors are SUCH a let down! Artwise, they took one the best drawn new 52 books, and threw in artwork that made me feel as if i was reading a comic meant for a 12 year old. I haven't heard any news yet but i am praying to god this penciller and inker is NOT the ones that will be continuing this run. I almost couldn't get through it, i was used to manapuls epic art.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@cantdance93: Gage is only writing this issue. Then Buccellato is doing three. Then...who knows?

@jwalser3: issue #10.

Avatar image for life_without_progress
    life_without_progress

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

KASPERCOLE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Okay Tony, I personally disagree with you giving this only 3 stars based on what you described as "The Bad" for this issue. First off, ratings don't matter much to me except when they are unexpectedly high or low compared to my ratings for that particular issue. How is it bad to have a one-shot or one and done issue? Anybody who enjoyed Palmiotti and Gray's Jonah Hex run did not care if (for the most part) each issue was self-contained and did not link to the next issue. Depending on my mood and the writer, I sometimes hate long drawn out connected issues. Other times, I want to feel like the issues are connected and are building up to something bigger. I guess that's why I don't mind a one and done every once in a while for a generally connected, developing set of issues in an ongoing series. But that's just my opinion.

I personally liked this issue quite a bit => 4.5/5

Avatar image for martianmanhunterisbetterthancy
    MartianManhunterIsBetterThanCyborg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Hopefully the Brian Buccelato 3 issues will be good. I know one has Deadman, but are the other two the Central City/Keystone City/time travel story that was skipped?

CantDance93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Oh thank jebus! Would be cool if Geoff Johns took over :p

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@kaspercole: Why not write your own review on the issue page? I see people tell us our "opinions" are wrong and rarely write up their own reviews. If you dug it, great. I just felt I could have skipped this issue and not missed anything. Comics don't have to be part of a huge on going story arc but I like to be entertained. This was just an okay issue for me.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Oh thank jebus! Would be cool if Geoff Johns took over :p

His version of Barry Allen is too serious.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

Was a decent one shot. At least we saw Barry doing some cool stuff lol

Hope Manapul and Buccelleto stay though, I've loved their run,

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@fallschirmjager: Manapul is done. He and Brian will be on Detective Comics. Brian will be writing the next few issues of The Flash solo.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#20  Edited By Fallschirmjager

@g_man said:

@fallschirmjager: Manapul is done. He and Brian will be on Detective Comics. Brian will be writing the next few issues of The Flash solo.

oh gotcha.

that kinda sucks >_>.

Did they want to leave or did DC move them to the title?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bezza

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

How did this get only 3 stars? I bought it today and love it! Its got a whole heap of Flash power feats, which will go down well in the New 52 respect thread. You get to see Flash using brains to defeat a slippery opponent and it answered one of my questions, how does Flash get into the sky when he cannot fly. I feel it merited four stars at least, particularly when last months superman Wonder Woman got 5 and in my opinion wasn't as good as this! Oh well, everyone is entitled to their opinion!

epierce89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The only problem I had was the art..I felt like I reading a little kid comic.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

Hopefully they do well, because their storytelling/artwork is perfect for light-hearted characters like the Flash. But the cover to Detective Comics looks amazing, so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

But my hope is one day the duo will write an Atom ongoing.

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man said:

Hopefully they do well, because their storytelling/artwork is perfect for light-hearted characters like the Flash. But the cover to Detective Comics looks amazing, so I don't think there is anything to worry about.

So Flash had to deal with what might as well be Roxy Rocket's sister. How quaint. -_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@martianmanhunterisbetterthancy said:

@g_man said:

So Flash had to deal with what might as well be Roxy Rocket's sister. How quaint. -_-

Ok... I don't see how this had to do with anything I said. The Spitfire issue wasn't even written by Buccelato or Manapaul.

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sun_pusher said:

@g_man said:

Ok... I don't see how this had to do with anything I said. The Spitfire issue wasn't even written by Buccelato or Manapaul.

And it was still crap without them.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@sun_pusher said:

@g_man said:

And it was still crap without them.

What is the point you are trying to make?

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sun_Pusher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.