g_man's The Flash #7 - What Goes Around, Comes Around review

This Is All About Captain Boomerang

Hopefully you're not looking for any Barry Allen action here (or Francis Manapul). This is Captain Boomerang's story. Will it be enough to continue the awesome streak of this series?

The Good

I had some doubts about this issue. We've all read stories about the bad guys. They've all done bad things but because Boomerang killed Tim Drake's father, he managed to raise himself to a new level of villainy. I can't even tell you how many stories I've seen with Captain Boomerang and the Rogues going up against Flash. In all those stories, I never gave thought to why he chose boomerangs as his gimmick. I figured it was just because he was Australian. Here we get a story that actually drew me in. I didn't want to care about his childhood but I did. And wait until you see what his mission is in this issue.

The Bad

There isn't too much on the bad side. Barry Allen isn't featured at all. It's always a little odd when the title character doesn't have a single appearance but the story and art made it okay. Speaking of the art, Francis Manapul gets a well-deserved break on this issue. Johns and Manapul have been knocking them out of the park on The Flash because they work so well together. This too can be overlooked because of Scott Kolins' art.

I didn't think I'd enjoy a Flash story that was missing both Barry Allen and Francis Manapul. Geoff Johns' writing has been consistently solid throughout this series. The fact that he made me care about Captain Boomerang says something. The ending clearly opens the door for some bad times headed in Barry's direction. Now it's time to start counting down until the next issue.
Posted by pantslabyrinth

Good review. Lack of Barry Allen wasn't bad, and I love Scott Kolins storybook-y art style.

Posted by lostlantern13

Scott Kolins always knocks it out of the park with The Rogues. He does for them what Manapul does for The Flash. Just really talented and loved the look at Captain Boomerang. It made sense since he's one of the 12...he needed the spotlight.

Edited by longbowhunter

I didnt recognize Scott Kolins art until half way through the book. It really looked great. Much different than his previous Flash work. Believe it or not I'm actually a big Capt. Boomerang fan. I enjoyed seeing him spotlighted, however its a story I already knew from reading Suicide Squad. I do hope this issue opens peoples eyes to how cool a character Digger really is. Hope to see him in Red Robin soon too!! Thanks for adding this review Tony. Glad ya' liked the book too.
Posted by JonesDeini

I was actually looking forward to this issue. I've actually started to take Cap (and the rest of the Rogues) seriously post Blackest Night. This was an excellent issue and Scott Kolins art was a nice change of pace from Manipaul. Things are about to get really interesting for Barry...